Route 66, the "Mother Road"......

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I drove on back in Janauary, coming back from Vegas.

I'm going back for a drive on it in a couple of weeks.

Lucky ..... as luck would have it; Route 66 from Barstow to the Arizona border has some of the most scenic rail fanning locations in the world for photography.

been on the route numerous times, still remember back in the 1950's as a kid the drive-in's, the billboards and the almost single tracks of crapola pavement instead of the present freeway system, ah those were the days never to be seen again ..........

in Dec 08, I got to spend a few hours in/around Rte 66 at the Denny's in Kingman just passing the time while they re-opened Hwy 93 into Las Vegas - it had snowed and the roads were...entertaining! Finally reached Vegas in the wee hours of the morning to see palm trees covered in snow - I felt like I'd fallen into the pages of a Dr Seuss book!

In the late 70's and early 80's, we used to explore the bypassed sections of Rt. 66 out in the California/Arizona desert...there were gas stations, rest stops, a few little towns and all sorts of stuff abandoned out there.

In the late 70's and early 80's, we used to explore the bypassed sections of Rt. 66 out in the California/Arizona desert...there were gas stations, rest stops, a few little towns and all sorts of stuff abandoned out there.
Yep, several small towns all along that highway dried up and died after they were bypassed.
Nothing to bring anyone through them anymore and no reason to get off the highway to find them.

Wheels

My parents live in Kingman Az. If the wasn't for Route 66 memorabilia stuff the town would probably dry up as Route 66 runs right through Kingman.

Lived 4 blocks off it in New Mexico in Old Town Albuquerque. The tourists loved the Rt 66 ashtrays and shot glasses at Walgreens. It runs Chicago to LA, it was a big deal before the Interstate system.

My father would come across 66 every summer with his parents. The drove from Indianapolis to California every year on Route 66. It helped that my grandfather worked for Indiana University, so he had the summer off.

He may have been on a local state route 66...

Here's a map of former US Route 66, officially Historic Route 66 now

Attachments

• route66map.gif
    route66map.gif
    9.9 KB · Views: 582
It's pretty carved up these days. Some of it has been replaced with freeways. Some places, it became the freeway. There are some maps that can guide you on the original path. I could imagine it would be quite a trip with some roads being way better than others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back