Royal Air Force In Texas Fly-In

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

LNadeau

Recruit
Sep 11, 2008
September 11, 2008, Terrell, Texas - Royal Air Force in Texas Reunion Dinner and Fly-In Pancake BreakfastIn honor of the 90th anniversary of the Royal Air Force, Number 1 British Flying Training School Museum is hosting a Dinner-Dance and Fly-In on Friday, October 17 18, 2008 to honor the British pilots who trained in the United States, and the American officers and civilian staff who assisted with that training. The event also welcomes the War Brides and the citizens who embraced the service members while they were training in the US. The museum grounds will open at 6pm on Friday, October 17, 2008, with a dinner-dance and a USO style performance featuring the Dave Washburn Band and other performers.
On Saturday, October 18, 2008 a Pancake Breakfast will start at 7:30 a.m., while planes come in, then the grounds will be open for the public to see the vintage planes, antique cars, experimental aircraft, and much more. At noon there will be a Color Guard and demonstrations by parachute jumpers, helicopter medical evacuation. Tom Killebrew, author of the book, "The Royal Air Force in Texas", will also lecture and sign books. New events and activities are being added daily.
About the No. 1 British Training Flying School Museum
Prior to the entry of the US into WWII President Roosevelt worked out a deal with Winston Churchill to send British cadets to the United States via Canada for training.
Since the skies over England were filled with Hitler's planes and the Canadian weather was inclement much of the time, the cadets came to Terrell, Texas. There is a museum in Terrell commemorating the collaboration of allied forces and the bond that developed between the British cadets who trained there and the town's people that took them in as their own. The cemetery society also cares for the graves of the service men who lost their lives during training and are buried in Texas.
Many of the pilots, now in their 80's and 90's, and some of which have married local girls, still attend reunions every few years. We want to honor all veterans with this fly-in and welcome all veterans from every era to participate.
We plan to have a Color Guard honoring the British and American service members and Southwest Christian College will provide the patriotic music to accompany the flags. The Canadian Air Force have indicated interest in attending.
The BFTS group is looking for corporate sponsors to help with the cost of flying some of the veterans from the UK to the US for the event. To lend assistance or for more information or tickets to the Dinner-Dance please visit Royal Air Force in Texas or call (972)524-4322 in the US.

Hell yes. GREAT news. The little wifey, who does our budget, just said we can go to both days events. I can't wait until the dinner and show.

All I can say is thank God for the Collins Foundation. Thanks to the B-17 Nine-O-Nine, the B-24 WitchCraft, and the B-25 Tondeleyo, my wife now LOVES to watch "our" planes fly in and encourages me to go to airshows after she saw them flying over and saw my reaction to them.

Hell yes. GREAT news. The little wifey, who does our budget, just said we can go to both days events. I can't wait until the dinner and show.

All I can say is thank God for the Collins Foundation. Thanks to the B-17 Nine-O-Nine, the B-24 WitchCraft, and the B-25 Tondeleyo, my wife now LOVES to watch "our" planes fly in and encourages me to go to airshows after she saw them flying over and saw my reaction to them.

i saw those when they came to tacoma field across the bridge all i could do is have my jaw dorp and my hair move crazy like when those engines on on you know it or feel it

I have my tickets bought and will be there Friday night for the dinner and USO show and the fly in on Saturday. Should be fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back