Russia intervenes in Syria

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

one thing that ISIS/ISIL is NOT is a rag tag group. they are very well organized. they have an extremely good intel section, top notch recruiting program, and unrivaled PR group in arab countries. they are very well equipped ( which makes you think who is giving them the stuff...2 guesses one begins with R and the other C ) and employ good battle field tactics. they are not going to get disillusioned and quit nor are they going to be diplomatically reasoned with. sooner or later there will have to be a face to face confrontation on the ground.

Another key point with ISIS that no one is addressing, is the fact the they control quite a few oil fields and refining units in the area AND are transporting selling that oil openly...

That in itself is a huge amount of income for them and not a single word is said about it by any of the "policing" nations.

they are very well equipped ( which makes you think who is giving them the stuff...2 guesses one begins with R and the other C )

I agree with every other point in your post, but this one leaves me scratching my head. Why would the Russians back these people when they are so strongly supporting Assad? China maybe, iran probably not, North Korea possibly, but Russia doesn't make a lot of sense....

Another key point with ISIS that no one is addressing, is the fact the they control quite a few oil fields and refining units in the area AND are transporting selling that oil openly...

That in itself is a huge amount of income for them and not a single word is said about it by any of the "policing" nations.

I saw strike footage the other day of an oil plant being destroyed, so I guess someone is going after them.

I agree with every other point in your post, but this one leaves me scratching my head. Why would the Russians back these people when they are so strongly supporting Assad? China maybe, iran probably not, North Korea possibly, but Russia doesn't make a lot of sense....

we will see. I haven't looked at this in awhile. last I saw the Russian "attacks on IS" were in areas that there was no IS presence and actually against coalition backed rebels. so they were at that point actually leaving IS alone...

we will see. I haven't looked at this in awhile. last I saw the Russian "attacks on IS" were in areas that there was no IS presence and actually against coalition backed rebels. so they were at that point actually leaving IS alone...

Maybe, I agree. But from a military standpoint, it makes sense to defeat the weaker opponent first. I think that the Russians are counting on its "allies" (thats us) will take steps to at least contain IS. Whilst this is happening they will deal with the moderate opposition groups that we place so much faith in. Once those groups are neutralised, Assad is in better shape to regroup his country and take on the greater more serious IS threat. If the kurds and the Assad loyalists can get their cr*p together, the Soviets will restore their client to being in control of their country.

Its a better strategy than the unrealistic goals we have set. Once again the Russians are out manouvering us and leaving us fuming. If the Assadists are restored, Putin knows he can open or shut the refugees getting into Europe, which gives him enormous leverage there as well. He's a smart, ruthless cookie, and we are acting like a bunch of dumba**es.......

At least thats the way it looks.

Part of the reason for IS being so successful is the way they wage war. With well trained and well equipped fighters, they also don't worry about "collateral damage" unless it happens to be their wives and children. When you see the video showing that their families are armed to the teeth, it proves that there is no such thing as an IS civilian. There is only one way to wage war and none of our "leadership" has the courage to actually conduct the kind needed to eliminate them. What we've seen in Syria and Iraq prior to the Russian intervention only gave credence to Assad's claim to fight terrorism. As far as refugees and asylum, grant it to Christians and those facing genocide by Islam and send all Muslims back to Turkey or where ever they migrated from.

Last edited:
Maybe, I agree. But from a military standpoint, it makes sense to defeat the weaker opponent first. I think that the Russians are counting on its "allies" (thats us) will take steps to at least contain IS. Whilst this is happening they will deal with the moderate opposition groups that we place so much faith in. Once those groups are neutralised, Assad is in better shape to regroup his country and take on the greater more serious IS threat. If the kurds and the Assad loyalists can get their cr*p together, the Soviets will restore their client to being in control of their country.

Its a better strategy than the unrealistic goals we have set. Once again the Russians are out manouvering us and leaving us fuming. If the Assadists are restored, Putin knows he can open or shut the refugees getting into Europe, which gives him enormous leverage there as well. He's a smart, ruthless cookie, and we are acting like a bunch of dumba**es.......

At least thats the way it looks.

now there ya go! yeah..i can see that. why get your nose possibly bloodied when you can get someone to get theirs done and not you?? putin is smart....he would never have reached that level in the intel community on politics alone. what he really has going for him, as an added bonus, is the other heads of state haven't the foggiest idea of how to deal with things that don't go according to their script. its like a tree hugger trying to fix a chainsaw...

Where's the A-10 when you need it? ;) :lol:
There are 12 A-10s of the 75th FS flying missions against ISIS in Syria and adjoining areas from Incirlik, Turkey while another 12 A-10s of the 74th FS are held in reserve, currently stationed in Estonia (anti-Putin security for the Baltic region).

wisely taken out of service by the smartest minds in the military...
Nope...the senate house committee has approved funding for the 2016 Defense Appropriations bill that allows the A-10 to continue in service for the 2016 fiscal year and that funding has a caveat that prohibits the USAF from placing the A-10 on backup/retirement status. :thumbleft:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back