Sea Fury Crash

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

stona

Major
Mar 28, 2009
This post will probably need to be moved somewhere more appropriate!

Two injured as Vintage Sea Fury crashes at Duxford

The damage is very bad, maybe terminal as far as a return to flight is concerned, certainly expensive.

2_IMG_20200804_180255.jpg

2_IMG_20200804_180301.jpg

Damn! I was at Duxford when the Firefly went in 2003. So sad to see the Sea Fury in such bad shape. Truly hope the crew's injuries are relatively minor and that they make a full and rapid recovery.

Catastrophic engine failure during gear retraction, with most of the damage caused when she slid into a hedgerow and struck a couple of trees. When she did the same thing in 1990, the damage was much worse. The fuselage broke into a couple of pieces and one wing was torn off the center section in that forced landing.

Catastrophic engine failure during gear retraction, with most of the damage caused when she slid into a hedgerow and struck a couple of trees. When she did the same thing in 1990, the damage was much worse. The fuselage broke into a couple of pieces and one wing was torn off the center section in that forced landing.
'

To be fair & going from my 'beer-addled' memory alone...... Back then she WAS part of the RN.'Historic-Flight' (FAA, Yeovilton)

That meant (back then), that us lot, 'The British Tax-Paying Public' WOULD "foot the bill", come what may.

Fast-forward some decades on, the 'Flight' went from Gov't ownership (Armed-Forces), to a 'Trust' thingy**..... (don't ask me the specifics !)

Meantime (& 'jaded-cynic' in me believes), that they sold her off (WG.655), to upkeep the Swordfish & other-stuff ?

Obviously 'The Coffers' were not sufficient to keep the newly-donated Sea-Vixen, or, already 'owned' Sea-Hawk flying.

Again, call me a bitter jaded-cynic, BUT, it sounds like the usual B.S that "MY" nation indulges in........ (Roll-Eyes Icon Req'd)

Formerly Gov't owned - thence becomes 'privatised' - thence becomes $h!te/"downhill" = The G.P.O (Post-Office) is a PRIME EXAMPLE !

When a nation (public-funds), foot the bill, bean-counters ARE involved, but the funds ARE generally 'deeper' & far more "flush/flushed"

I know NOTHING about these Norwegian guys, nor, how 'deep' their bank-funds are ?

But you CAN bet your bottom-dollar, they WON'T have the funds/expertise/funds that WG.655 once had, under the tenure of the Royal Navy.

When she was damaged in 1990, RNHF decided to dispose of the aircraft as "unrepairable", and was sold off. Chuck Greenhill, here in the US ended up with the project and had it restored at Sauders Aeronautics, in 1993. Shaun Patrick is listed as the current owner, as of 2008, with the Norwegian group operating her.

Apparently the engine stopped in mid air leaving the pilot with no alternative other than to make a dead stick landing in the nearest available field. No, it wasn't a Bristol Centaurus either. She had been re-engined with a more reliable Pratt & Whitney. There is a video of the penultimate flight on YouTube with the engine smoking badly.

I remember WC Beattie managed to write off both of the RN Historic Flight Sea Furies within a short period.
The first one, TF956 was the first production FB 11. That ended up in the sea off Prestwick because of a gear extension problem and he didn't want to try landing it on a prepared foam 'carpet' at Prestwick.
WG655, IIRC suffered an engine failure after take-off from RNAS Yeovilton and he made a forced landing in a large grass field with one tree in it, ...and the tree wasn't too happy.

Such a shame and that's why I'm against keeping these old planes flying. 1 they're slowly turned into repro's with all the bits replaced to make them airworthy 2 when they crash they're screwed up and ruined!preserve not restore, display don't fly, can't go wrong with that.

Last edited:
I'd rather suggest that each factory be retained (mothballed) in a state to manufacture replacement parts or onesy-twosy new manufacture of "the same old thing". From P-47N to F22, from B-17 to B2, we need to NOT burn the factories down.

I'd rather suggest that each factory be retained (mothballed) in a state to manufacture replacement parts or onesy-twosy new manufacture of "the same old thing". From P-47N to F22, from B-17 to B2, we need to NOT burn the factories down.

It only requires boat loads of money.... I do know of someone that is not only working hard to manufacture repair parts to keep a number of B-17's in the air, or put them back into the air, but he's scratch building one for himself. There are several shops that can scratch build you Mustangs, SBD's, Spitfires, Sea Furys, B-17's, and even Corsairs now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back