Search for fish....finds Helldiver !

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Geedee

Senior Master Sergeant
Dec 5, 2008

Last edited:
Guy probably counted every plane that could carry a bomb that was made for the Navy during WW2. Dauntlesses, Vindicators, the odd Hellcat. Or maybe the dude just got it way wrong.

Does anyone know anything about this Resevoir? Sounds like it is fresh water. Being 80Ft down, it should be out of the sunlight and that would probably mean decay was fairly slow. Thinking of the SBD they just pulled out of Lake Michigan. That one still had the paint on it.

He'll definitely need a bigger net. Great find! I am sure it will be brought up.

I always thought the Helldiver was not that popular of a design, many pilots preferred the older Dauntless over it. IIRC, it had some stability and design issues.

He'll definitely need a bigger net. Great find! I am sure it will be brought up.

I always thought the Helldiver was not that popular of a design, many pilots preferred the older Dauntless over it. IIRC, it had some stability and design issues.

It had plenty of issues, but the Navy got in too deeply too quickly to be able to cancel the Helldiver and keep the Dauntless. Most of the major issues were resolved by the -4 though. It was a better plane than the Dauntless, as it could go farther, carry more and was faster, in fact its cruising speed was only 2 mph slower than that of the Hellcat, the Corsair was the only plane in the Navy that was quite a bit faster. Its handling wasn't as good as the Dauntless' though, so that's why pilots disliked it in the beginning.

Cool story, nice to hear! There's only one flying right now, and they're pretty rare. But yeah, 30 000 made, and most of them being destroyed? :lol: The Japanese must've shot down a LOT of them...

I'd like someone to recover it and restore it. Another SB2C on it's main gear would be great.

The water is fresh, and probably cold, so deterioriation should be at a minimum.

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back