Shinpachi's Birthday!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thank you very very much for your all kind words, Eric, Lucky, Thor, Messy1, Terry, Gnomey, Mike, Gary, proton, vB, Aaron, Florence, GG, A4K and RabidAlien!

Is that good or bad?! :lol:

Japanese had a legend that eclipse ominous.
Once upon a time, there were two great hostile forces Heike and Genji in Japan.
One day during a battle, total solar eclipse suddenly occurred.
The battle line of Genji was disturbed in horror as legend tells.
On the other hand, Heike was not surprised because they knew it would happen in advance by new astronomy from China.
Heike was attacking Genji with no disturbance to victory the battle.

I knew when the eclipse would happen in advance too!
So, it was a good chance for me to leave some video:)

I expected the eclipse would darken the ground like an evening but it was a normal bright cloudy daytime.
I have understood well how powerful the sunlight is.

Here is my video clip.
I removed the filter at 00:00:43 to show how the ground looks like.
You will see how bright the ground was even during the eclipse.
Local time was 07:30 in the morning.

At 00:02:11, the wind flipped up the shading filter which I made of a film scrap by chance.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmoHvsTNTSU

Last edited:
Great film Shinpachi!

Is the Genji of that tale any relation to the Genji of 'Genji monogatari', or was it a common name?

Great film Shinpachi!

Is the Genji of that tale any relation to the Genji of 'Genji monogatari', or was it a common name?

A good question, A4K as even Japanese complicate these two Genjis.
Genji of my tale is a family name. One of the Genji family, Yoritomo Minamoto defeated Heike at last to found his government in 1192.

Genji of you Genji monogatari is a fictional first name for Genji Hikaru of the oldest love story writen by a female writer, Shikibu Murasaki in 1001.

Apparently the world's first novel...

Admittedly haven't read 'The tales of Genji' yet, rather read of them in Liza Dalby's 'The tale of Murasaki', based on the few facts that are known of Shikibu Murasaki's life. It's an interesting book.

Shinpachi, the reason for the non-darkening is the type of eclipse. This was an annular ecipse. During this type of eclipse the moon was at appogee in its earth orbit and thus slightly smaller than the solar disk, aproximately 1/2 a degree or the size of an ordinary aspirin tablet held at arms length. Were the moon at perogee it would be slightly larger than 1/2 degree thus covering the solar disk completely producing a total eclipse leaving only the corona visible.
The dis of the moon and sun are essentially the same size in the sky. The intense glare makes the sun's disk seem much larger. Your little finger at arms length can easily block the entire solar disk

Last edited:
Thanks Paul! I have been waiting for you.
My heron in the old temple is growing bigger year by year:)

DSCF1354RS.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back