Short Stirling Mk.V, 46 Sqn RAF.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Andy and Wojtek.

After a total of around four hours work, I finally got the canopy masked and fitted. It has yet to have the edges sealed and blended into the fuselage, after which the frames will be painted in the interior colour.
With a bit of luck, I should at least get the primer done over the weekend, and maybe get the 'Aluminium' sprayed too.

Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 096.JPG
Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 097.JPG
Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 098.JPG

... one more window, and ... :crazyeyes:
Very good work Terry, ... the hand of the master is clearly seen.

Attentive and ready for what follows ... :thumbup:

Well done Terry. While looking at your pic it suddenly occurred to me that I have a 1/72 Lancaster that will need to one day have its clear parts masked

Thanks again chaps.
Currently checking to see if the engines and cowlings can be fitted after painting the model, and planning to get the primer done some time tonight.

Thanks all.

As it was a lovely sunny day today, with temperature at 65 C (unusual for this time of year), I took advantage of this, and only got to the bench at around 19.00 hrs.
I had hoped to have the primer on by now, and possibly the 'Aluminium' paint too, but I've been delayed slightly, due to what appears to be a small 'moulding error' in the kit (unless I've missed something, which is possible).
The oil coolers, which fit beneath each engine cowl, are supposed to locate into slots, but there aren't any slots, unless they have been moulded internally, and 'flashed over', and I missed this.
I now need to drill and cut slots, before fitting the oil coolers, and also fit the carb intakes, the plan being to do this 'out of sequence', and fit the engines and cowlings after painting the model, allowing me to fit these as complete, painted units, along with the props and their retaining 'washers'.
I also need to fill sink holes in the oil coolers and the carb intakes. The resin parts include better, longer intakes, but a couple of them are slightly deformed, so the kit parts will have to be used, suitably modified.
The engine assemblies will then be fitted, after painting and masking, and the props will just be 'push fitted' at the end of the build.
I hope to get this completed later tonight, or by tomorrow at the latest, and then continue with the painting stages.
Meanwhile, the canopy frames have been painted in the internal colour, and the joints sealed and blended-in, with the forward windows and the astrodome aperture masked with PVA.
All being well, I should have some pics later tomorrow.

Stirling MkV 46 Sqn 101.JPG

Nice work Terry. Sounds like your weather is better than here - my spray station is outside in the car port and I had to do the pre-shade on my Corsair in several sessions due to interference from wild winds and rain!

Thanks Kirby.
The nice weather is short lived - it turned dull at around 18.00, even though it was supposed to still be clear skies, and the weather is due to revert to colder, wetter spells, with snow forecast !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back