Shot Down!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

FLYBOYJ

"THE GREAT GAZOO"
Apr 9, 2005
Colorado, USA
Or brought down. Today this little asshole attacked one of my drones while I was collecting some b-roll along the Platte River south of downtown Denver. The drone survived, still flies and the camera works but the gimbal and SD card reader are toast! He actually had a snatch on it but dropped it (I did put it in a descent right before I saw them about to make contact). I think the props bit him in the foot. The drone came down along the bank of the Platte luckily in about an eighth of inch or water.
hawk 1.jpg
hawk 2.jpg
hawk 3.jpg

I'll be doing surgery to the drone within the next few weeks. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally know of two cases where light aircraft were indeed shot down.

About 22 years ago one of the guys at our airport was taking off to the East in his homebuilt Varieze. The runway sticks out into a body of water in that direction. Soon after takeoff he experienced a severe vibration, did a 180, and landed on the runway downwind, overunning the pavement onto the grass at the far end. Examination showed that the wooden prop was shattered and there were shotgun pellets embedded in the cowling. It appears that someone in a boat had fired at him as he flew over. The cops did find a man in a boat on the water but there was no sign of a shotgun.

In my home town of Columbia SC there was an earthen embankment in the woods where everyone would go to shoot. The pattern of the local airport went right overhead, about where airplanes would turn from base to final. I wondered if that would ever cause problems. Then in 1975 a guy was flying a homebuilt Breezy in just about that location when a large caliber round struck the bottom fuselage structural member and broke it, and I think it took out the prop as well. The pilot barely made a safe landing.

Or brought down. Today this little asshole attacked one of my drones while I was collecting some b-roll along the Platte River south of downtown Denver. The drone survived, still flies and the camera works but the gimbal and SD card reader are toast! He actually had a snatch on it but dropped it (I did put it in a descent right before I saw them about to make contact). I think the props bit him in the foot. The drone came down along the bank of the Platte luckily in about an eighth of inch of water.

Time to up the game and send in big brother, a quadcopter mounting an airsoft MG.

Prototype_Quadrotor_machine_gun.jpg

Imagine his surprise when he gets some high velocity pellets for his trouble. :)

-Irish

I personally know of two cases where light aircraft were indeed shot down.
An ROTC classmate of mine was shot down five times in Hueys, making him an "enemy ace": four times in Vietnam and once overflying the Mohawk reservation in upstate NY on an auto accident medevac. He never made it to the scene and the victim was DOA by ambulance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back