Should The Allies Have Bypassed Italy?

Should The Allies Have Bypassed Italy?

• yes

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • no

Votes: 23 74.2%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Getting back onto what was achieved by invading italy, if nothing else, it bagged a reasonable casualty list from the Axis. Already we have seen that the invasion of Sicily (part of italy) and the mainland caused (or contributed to) the dissolution of all the italian Army, and that this had an effect on the numbers of german garrison troops needed to replace them.

But what of the actual losses incurred? The following gives a pretty good account of what was achieved from a US perspective

PO VALLEY 1945

Relevantly, in its conclusion it says

"For the Allied armies in Italy, the Po Valley offensive climaxed the long and bloody Italian campaign. When the spring offensive opened, it initially appeared that its course might continue the pattern of the previous months and battles in Italy, becoming another slow, arduous advance over rugged terrain, in poor weather, against a determined, well-entrenched, and skillful enemy. However, by April 1945 the superbly led and combat-hardened Allied 15th Army Group, a truly multinational force, enjoyed an overwhelming numerical superiority on the ground and in the air. On the other side, Axis forces had been worn down by years of combat on many fronts; they were plagued by poor political leadership at the top as well as shortages of nearly everything needed to wage a successful defensive war. By April 1945 factors such as terrain, weather, combat experience, and able military leadership, that had for months allowed the Axis to trade space for time in Italy could no longer compensate for the simple lack of manpower, air support, and materiel. By the end of the first two weeks of the campaign both sides realized that the end of the war in Italy was in sight, and that all the Allies needed to complete the destruction of Axis forces was the skillful application of overwhelming pressure, a feat largely accomplished within ten days, by 2 May 1945.

By the time of the cease-fire in Italy, the U.S. Fifth Army had been in continuous combat for 602 days, well over twenty months, far longer than any U. S. field army during World War II. During the entire Italian campaign, Allied losses had exceeded 312,000, of which 60 percent, or about 189,000, were sustained by Fifth Army units. Of the total losses, 31,886 were killed, including 19,475 Americans, the remainder of the dead being British and Commonwealth troops, Brazilians, Poles, Frenchmen, free Italians, and members of the Jewish brigade. German losses in Italy were estimated at over 434,600, including 48,000 killed in action and over 214,000 missing, the majority of the latter presumed dead.

What had started as a limited Allied assault on the "soft underbelly of Europe" in mid-1943, an invasion to tie down Axis forces and push Italy from the war, by 1944 had become a full operational theater of its own, involving upwards of five hundred thousand Allied troops at its peak. Although considered a sideshow from mid-1944 on, the soldiers involved in the Italian campaign succeeded in the vast majority of the goals which the Allied high command had set for them. From the invasion of Sicily in July 1943 until the final Axis surrender just south of the Alps in May 1945, the Allied armies in Italy had battled north over one thousand miles of mountainous terrain, through inclement weather, against a capable and determined enemy. Only the overwhelming Allied materiel and manpower resources and the countless heroic acts of hundreds of thousands of Allied soldiers in small unit actions of a type unique to the war in Italy overcame the Axis forces. Primarily, the Allied soldiers' determination and aggressive spirit forced Germany to divert considerable men and materiel from other, more significant fronts in an ultimately unsuccessful effort to halt the Allied drive north".

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
It looks like a very good analysis. i am going to try and get a hold of a copy.

When you break this issue down, I think we are led inevitably to the superiority of german leadership. There is not a lot of difference in the quality of material, though that may be disputed for certain items like Tiger tanks and the like. Numerous studies have shown that in fact the qualitative advantages of these items of kit are only a partial answer to explaining German Battlefield superiority. Having a Tiger tank in your kitbag will only give you an advantage if you know how to use it.

If my position is accepted, namely, that the germans were not good or outstanding at issues which i have called "strategic" issues (eg supply) but excel at battlefield management, and one also accepts that the quality of german equipment can only provide a partial answer to their superiority, there are only a few other options we can consider to try and explain that advantage

I would suggest the folowing to consider:

1) At the beginning of the war better tactical organization and doctrine, particulalry with regard to the armour/Infantry/artillery/airpower mix

2) At the beginning of the war, manpower that was better trained and organized. German Infantry was man for man better than all opponents at the beginning of the war. However as the war progressed and casualty rates went up the quality of German manpower, and the level it was trained to did fall significantly

3) As mentioned above, on a selective basis German equipment at the beginning of the war was superior in many fields. In my opinion they held advantages in machine guns, mortars, field artillery, Corps level artillery, communications, some small arms, half tracks. For tanks they generally had advantages, except for armoured protetion . as the war progressed, they tended to lose most of these advantages except perhaps in Tank development.

4) The Germans spent more time training their officers than anyone, including their NCOs, and this proved to be the rock on which the German Army held itself together through its darkest ordeals. Moreover this advantage was retained for most of the war. This advantage goes at least back to the Weimar days, under Von Seekt, when a very large of the Versaille army was officers or NCOs.

The weaknesses of the german army were related to an inordinate preoccupation on direct support....a coconcentration on the immediate battle rather than looking at the overall campaigns. relatively few german officers worried about anything other than their immediate commands. this is in marked contrast to the better allied commanders. There were exceptions to this, of course, but it sometimes explains why the germans would act as they did.

Despite their rather magnificant late war defensive efforts, the germans actually were a bit lacking in defensive thinking. on orders from Hitler, defensive training....how to retreat, as opposed to headlong flight, was removed from the training manuals before the war. Hitler believed such preprations to be "defeatist". The result was that many german soldiers tended to fight until they could no longer fight, and then just run headlong from the enemy. This tended to create situations that led to inordinate losses once the formation was in the process of being overwhelmed. There were exceptions, such as Rommels masterly withdrawal from Alamein. But this was an exception, and it wasnt helped by hitlers often insane "stand fast" orders.

German Battlefield superiority
German_prisoners_on_Autobahn_20_122.jpg

German_prisoner_captured_by_Canadian_troops.jpg

german-prisoners-POW-russian-front-eastern-front-ww2-second-world-war-two-002.jpg

ph312.jpg

german-prisoners-POW-russian-front-eastern-front-ww2-second-world-war-two-008.jpg

1944_july_17_moscow_german_pow.jpg

How does this series of photos strengthen or prove your case? We all know that at the end of the war there were many German prisoners taken. Its a flippant and irrlevant statistic really. It could be just as flippantly countered by pointing out that the germans took many millions more prisoners, including Americans during the war.

Overall the allies proved superior to the Heer....superior in numbers, superior in strategy, superior in logistics. they never proved superior in battle, except on some rather famous occasions, like Tobruk and Bastogne. On the field of battle the germans retained a superiority over the allies almost to the very end.

Photos of prisoners doesnt prove anything, except that you are very p*ssed off and want to get into an argument. Why not try and read some of the material that has been suggested by me and others, perhaps find some other material that you think might help your position or improve your understanding. Then reach a considered informed conclusion, and post your opinions (or not, as you want). I will be the first to defend you from some of the trolls that inhabit this place and will pounce on you, but only if you come up with a reasoned, respectful argument that has some chance of being reasonable

they never proved superior in battle, except on some rather famous occasions, like Tobruk and Bastogne. On the field of battle the germans retained a superiority over the allies almost to the very end.

Photos of prisoners doesnt prove anything, except that you are very p*ssed off and want to get into an argument.

Im not pissed off and am not trying to argue, Im just amazed at your delusion. You're a great practitioner of Hitler's "The Bigger The Lie..." theory, how you expect anyone to believe it is beyond me. The truth about German Battlefield superiority is right there in all those pictures.

@ stug3

Im just amazed at your delusion. You're a great practitioner of Hitler's "The Bigger The Lie..." theory, how you expect anyone to believe it is beyond me. The truth about German Battlefield superiority is right there in all those pictures.

You are real funny guy and realy you have not neither any single clue about parsifal nor the issue we are talking about.

The Dupuy Institute is from the USA
Home Page

and Trevor Nevitt Dupuy was a Colonel of the United States Army.
Trevor N. Dupuy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also my book reference was a studie directly ordered from the Pentagon which was later published as book and Martin van Creveld has lectured at the Administration Academy of the US Marine Corps and the US Naval War College.

So you will find many US militarys with absolut the same opinion as parsifal and me too.
All this studies are from the USA for the US military. We will see if you get this!

Last edited:
Gentlemen, play nice - cyber space is not very plesent this time of year! I will ban and lock this thread if the BS continues

@ FLYBOYJ

Sorry but to say, here in this forum, parsifal is a great practitioner of Hitler's "The Bigger The Lie..." theory, is realy to be absurd!

Im not pissed off and am not trying to argue, Im just amazed at your delusion. You're a great practitioner of Hitler's "The Bigger The Lie..." theory, how you expect anyone to believe it is beyond me. The truth about German Battlefield superiority is right there in all those pictures.

Do you think that at the time of the Sicily and italian invasions, the US army had sufficient experience to taker on the German army on the central western european plains in a straight up fight.

Compare the level of experience possessed by the US Army in 1943 to the level of experience posesed by the germans in 1943. Essentially the US was a green, inexpereienced force that needed a "controlled" limited exposure to the enemy....taking them on in limited numbers, and if possible not against the very best that they (the germans) could put into the field. To a degree the italian front offered that.

You may accuse me of delusion but how do you explain away the referenced material like Dupuy and Zetterling, as wll as that other source DonL has made available. are these guys all Nazi sympathisers and delusional as well. I can assure you my friend, I am no Hitlerite no German sympathiser and I am not delusional (at least not in relation to this subject.

Instead of trying to whip up a confrontation, how about you post something of substance to support your position, and add to the debate, rather than just some silly photos. Talk about asinine and ridiculous.

Strange for me and DonL to be arguing on the same side... rather a nice change dont you think DonL?

"... Strange for me and DonL to be arguing on the same side... rather a nice change dont you think DonL?"

Yes it is .... let's have more of it.

MM

Indeed!

But it is not the first time we are the same opinion!
I think we both had a bad start because we are perhaps both full of spirits, but I have learned that I can learn one thing or an other from you and personal comments didn't help anybody.

So let's change arguments if we are not the same opinion!

At this issues I'm totaly with you, also with your other analyses about the Wehrmacht.
But I think we should discuss the logistic and strategic issue more intense because my opinion isn't this harsh as yours, but I will present my arguments, probably in an other thread.

Last edited:
At this issues I'm totaly with you, also with your other analyses about the Wehrmacht.
But I think we should discuss the logistic and strategic issue more intense because my opinion isn't this harsh as yours, but I will present my arguments, probably in an other thread.

Normandy is probably the best place to look at this issue. In straight up battles the Heer fought very effectively. In total numbers there was not that much difference between the two protagonists, but a number of factors conspired to ensure that the Germans were always at a strategic disadvantage. They lacked the mobility (caused somewhat by the effects of allied airpower, also a shortage of MT) to shift their forces around to meet new threats posed by the allies. By these means the allies were able to achieve local superiorities of 6 or 7 to 1 at the points of breakthrough even though overall, they did not have much of a numerical advantage. The big factor affecting the resective armys' performances was the re-supply rate. everything from replacement vehicles,to artillery, even rations, was cheese and chalk. Ther allies might lose 30 tanks in a battle, and within hours have replacements. Replacements for the germans was a sometimes, if ever occurrence in places like Normandy. They (the germans) could never afford to expend resources like ammunition or fuel to anything like the level that the allies could afford. this just didnt happen.....in fact in theory, the allies should have been the ones with shortages to contend with, since they were the ones relying on extemporised resupply. But the reverse was true. sure, to an extent, a large extent, that was simply due to resources, but it also had to do with inadequate arrangements and forecasts by the germans. a lot of that lack of resources can be traced back to hitlers assumptions about the war being of short duration. this in turn is indicative of germany's poor strategic appraisals of their situations.

The same sorts of conclusions can be made in italy, but because the terrain was bad (or good, depending on the pov) and because the front was more static, the obviousness of these shortcomings are less apparent. But they were still there...Germany was after 1942 fighting a "poor mans war" with inadequate resources of all kinds....

I'll respond if the moderator says its ok, I dont want to get this thread locked.

You wont get into any trouble if you cut the abuse and remain focussed on topic. Make statements about the issues, back it up with something useful and we will all be happy

Stug, you have the freedom to respond if its a counter-point and On-Topic. We just ask that your argument is not based on photos taken totally out of contex.

As for the topic, the Allies had to take Italy for:

1) Stretch German resources ( a third front if you will)
2) Gain bomber bases from which to attack German supplies, especially the production areas that were out of reach of the 8th AF - like PLoesti.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back