So...its time I started searching for my first gun!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

For opossum and small game hunting in NZ, my mate's pump action Magnum .22 was the business. She was fairly light, but was simple, looked good and was sweet to fire. I'd highly recommend it.

For larger game I had my own 'Savage' license built Lee Enfield No.4 Mk.1. Man I loved that rifle..! Just the look of the beast was a buzz, let alone firing her! She can be fired from the hip no worries too. A very reliable rifle, simple construction, easy to strip and clean and looks the business (especially with a pig-spike bayonet on her :)) I don't know what current prices are, but I got her for $200 NZ in 1995.

Evan

The only civilian gun in my collection is a Savage93 with the accurate trigger only $200US.A very accurate bolt action and got mine in 22mag which travel up too 2000ft/[email protected] you go the way on an Enfield be sure it's British made and not from India.I saw an India make come apart at the range one day!!Kevin

I too would stay away from the larger calibers if it is just going to be a plinking gun or for small game. .22 is great for that, for the price you can't beat the Savage line of rifles.
I hunt (large game) with a .30-08 rifle, but it kills my shoulder if I just want to go to the range and shoot, so if you plan on shooting a lot and can't take the recoil for a long period of time I would steer clear of the larger Calibers.
.223 would be a good choice for all around hungting on small to medium size game and for target shooting. Here in the US we can buy surplus ammo for dirt cheap, not the best for ammo for extreme accuracy, but it works for just messing around. Not sure if surplus ammo is available for purchase in your country though?
One think to remember is that the price of ammo just keeps going up and up. Brass and Copper prices going trough the roof so if you plan on shooting a lot a .22 might be your most cost effective option.
Have fun, and I would suggest taking a gun safety class if you have not had too much experience with guns and shooting.

sssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Les

he can use two hands to hold the Colt down.......maybe

well at least trying to conceal a long barrel will be a little harder than a pistol. and you can say at short range nobody but nobody is going to get by you with a .45.

sorry guys my opinion, but 22's are pu**y

who says I go anywhere without self=protection ? no matter, yes would agree the slime 22 has knocked out it's fair share of squirrel, rabbit and rats. We used to poke rabbits knarling on my friends 10 acre orchard gleefully disposing of them at 50 yards range with semi-auto .22's

guess this goes back to the original poster does he want self-protection or a hunting rifle or a play toy to fire at the local range ?

.22 is a must for a first gun. You can do any of the above with it for cheap and teach yourself proper rifle skills. But the same isn't true if you start off with a large caliber weapon. Since you can't have semi-auto though, I tend to agree with Buck. Get a .223 bolt action. Ammo is RELATIVELY inexpensive, accurate enough, low recoil to teach a beginner and deadly with the right loads. Easy to reload too. Save your brass.

If Oz is anything like NZ, then not only are semi-auto's out of his reach, but handguns too. In NZ there are seperate licenses for hunting weapons, hand guns, semi-automatic rifles and Collectors - each MUCH more expensive than the former respectively. Even a standard firearms license in NZ costs an arm and a leg...

I have shot a .223 before and I really enjoyed it and it was a sufficient size to drop a kangaroo (I know I got him in the head :)

So tossing up between .223 and .22, would do a mixture of hunting and target shooting!

If you're looking for a gun for home protection, or shooting down a flock of birds I recommend the Remington 1740.

Attachments

• Remington 1740.jpg
    Remington 1740.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 1,045

Users who are viewing this thread

Back