some F35 info

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Draken with canards?

I read that some big wig in the US would never consider an A/C with canards....dont know why though.

6290382210_e56caa64e5.jpg

People have been predicting the end of manned jets since the late 1940s. Problem with unmanned aircraft what happens if someone manages to get into the data link with the office or manages to take out the sat nav system with a dirty airburst nuke. Your expensive unmanned aircraft turns into a hole in the ground. The plane with a bag of meat at the controls keeps on flying.

People have been predicting the end of manned jets since the late 1940s. Problem with unmanned aircraft what happens if someone manages to get into the data link with the office or manages to take out the sat nav system with a dirty airburst nuke. Your expensive unmanned aircraft turns into a hole in the ground. The plane with a bag of meat at the controls keeps on flying.
I would imagine the UAV has the same amount of shielding as a manned aircraft to resist EFI/EMP...otherwise the meatbag would be a stain in that afore-mentioned hole...

I would imagine the UAV has the same amount of shielding as a manned aircraft to resist EFI/EMP...otherwise the meatbag would be a stain in that afore-mentioned hole...

I dont mean the plane would be affected (it would be but not critically so) but take out the satellite signals with a series of dirty bombs that dumps an aerosol of Heavy Metal junk in the Ionosphere and oops no comms with your UAV and no GPS for the autopilot to use and bye bye several hundred million in currency. A meatbag operated plane can still fly after such an event, unless the meatbag was unfortunate enough to be looking at a nuke when it went off in which case he wont be seeing much for a long time.

Touche FBJ but arnt they purely to sort out the airflow?

from wiki

The length of the aircraft presented a flexing problem due to air turbulence at low altitude. To alleviate this, Rockwell included small triangular fin control surfaces or vanes near the nose on the B-1. The B-1's Structural Mode Control System rotates the vanes automatically to counteract turbulence and smooth out the ride.[70]

I believe the Tu 144 had moustache canards to make up for deficiencies in low speed handling (maybe that was pro concord propaganda though)

from wiki

The length of the aircraft presented a flexing problem due to air turbulence at low altitude. To alleviate this, Rockwell included small triangular fin control surfaces or vanes near the nose on the B-1. The B-1's Structural Mode Control System rotates the vanes automatically to counteract turbulence and smooth out the ride.[70]

I believe the Tu 144 had moustache canards to make up for deficiencies in low speed handling (maybe that was pro concord propaganda though)

If you want to be extremely literal, there was one U.S. canard warplane which entered service (other than the mustache canards)
The F-21 aggressor:
download.jpg

If you want to be extremely literal, there was one U.S. canard warplane which entered service (other than the mustache canards)
The F-21 aggressor:

I believe that is the exception that proves the rule. Apart from the Wright Flier is there a US designed AC with canards from the start not to solve some problem?

from wiki

They're still Canards "a small forewing or foreplane is placed ahead of the main wing of a fixed-wing aircraft."

The F-21 aggressor:
The F-21 was not a U.S. design, it is the Israeli IAI Kfir that was on loan to the USN.

U.S. designs (modern - as canards were a standard of pioneering aircraft) that incorporated canards would be the XP-55, L-133, XB-70, A-12 (SR-71) original design replaced by chines, F-14 (canards to extend at mainwing full sweep), YF4E, F-15B ACTIVE, F/A-22N (proposed to extend at landing speeds when gear deployed)...

So canards are not unknown or ignored by the U.S. especially since the Wright flyers used canards.

I believe that is the exception that proves the rule. Apart from the Wright Flier is there a US designed AC with canards from the start not to solve some problem?

Military I assume. (Because if you don't mean military, than there are about 24-ish. But other than the X-10, F-15 STOL/MTD, the XP-55 Ass-ender, the XB-70, and the X-31 prototypes/demonstators, no.

The F-21 was not a U.S. design, it is the Israeli IAI Kfir that was on loan to the USN.

U.S. designs (modern - as canards were a standard of pioneering aircraft) that incorporated canards would be the XP-55, L-133, XB-70, A-12 (SR-71) original design replaced by chines, F-14 (canards to extend at mainwing full sweep), YF4E, F-15B ACTIVE, F/A-22N (proposed to extend at landing speeds when gear deployed)...

So canards are not unknown or ignored by the U.S. especially since the Wright flyers used canards.

That's the "if you want to be extremely literal"

They're still Canards "a small forewing or foreplane is placed ahead of the main wing of a fixed-wing aircraft."

FBJ that is technically true but I was referring to AC where the canard is a fundamental part of the original design not to solve a problem discovered after. It may have been anglo french propaganda but I understood that the Tu144 needed canards because the basic design was at fault, certainly concorde didnt have them.

Now stop DUCKING and weaving and dont use the forward sDRAKES on the B-1B to FOWL up the argument EIDER thought better of you, I will just have a GANDER on wiki for more info.

Pushing the limit on duck jokes now lol

That is literal: it is not a U.S. design, the Israelis drew the basis of the Kfir from the Mirage 5, powered by a license-built J79...

The statement which spawned this discussion was "I read somewhere that a military bigwig would never accept a canard a/c." By leasing the Khafir from this Israelis and given to squadrons, it has therefore been accepted into service. There was no statement about it being an American acft.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back