some F35 info

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Some very smooth landings on the USS Wasp. The Harrier always kind of wobbled its way down onto the deck. Good to see the Corps pushing towards IOC for VMFA-121. Cool vids!

Honestly, name me one thing that the military is involved with, that doesn't have cost over-runs?

I can guarantee you that the media would be hard-pressed to find one thing that hasn't gone over budget for the past 75 years.

True. In terms of achievement the B 29 would probably be termed an abject failure if it didnt drop the bomb that won the war (which it wasnt actually designed for). However post war the B 29 won a bigger war and Boeing controlled the long haul market for decades. I personally have a feeling that the cost of the F 35 will reap massive benefits in new video imaging and computing technologies.

True. In terms of achievement the B 29 would probably be termed an abject failure if it didnt drop the bomb that won the war (which it wasnt actually designed for). However post war the B 29 won a bigger war and Boeing controlled the long haul market for decades. I personally have a feeling that the cost of the F 35 will reap massive benefits in new video imaging and computing technologies.

That's very debatable as the B-29 was extremely effective in fire-bombing Japan and spawned many successful tanker and cargo variants (one of which is still in use today), but yes, the cream of the top acft like the Raptor, Typhoon, and (soon to be) F-35 are revolutions in software design.

Small munitions, automated aircraft assembly lines and graphite composites as well. From what I understand the surface coatings on the F-35 are a little more resilient than what we seen on the F-117 and B-2

That's very debatable as the B-29 was extremely effective in fire-bombing Japan and spawned many successful tanker and cargo variants (one of which is still in use today), but yes, the cream of the top acft like the Raptor, Typhoon, and (soon to be) F-35 are revolutions in software design.

The B29 was designed as a high altitude bomber ..many other AC could have dropped incendiaries at night and if that was the brief for the B29 it would have been a much different AC. I am aware of the tanker cargo and transport variants but in the immediate post war it was the head start in passenger craft that gave boeing its lead.

Small munitions, automated aircraft assembly lines and graphite composites as well. From what I understand the surface coatings on the F-35 are a little more resilient than what we seen on the F-117 and B-2

Technology is technology just because it is designed for an aircraft doesn't mean it only applies to aircraft. I worked at a company that made some of the inner parts of the Large Hadron Collider (the bits close to the plasma). Making internally copper coated highly alloyed stainless tubes that have zero gauss at minus 270C seems extreme and of little value but a company that can satisfy the requirement learns a lot and wins future clients.

FBJ I was generalising you are being specific, I can guarantee that before you spin off this mortal coil you will see something in every day life that started as an off shoot of the F 35 programme. It is the way life works, George Cayley (1773-1857) had all sorts of ideas related to flight his greatest idea was what everyone would recognise as a bicycle wheel.

Last edited:
The B29 was designed as a high altitude bomber ..many other AC could have dropped incendiaries at night and if that was the brief for the B29 it would have been a much different AC. I am aware of the tanker cargo and transport variants but in the immediate post war it was the head start in passenger craft that gave boeing its lead.

But none had the range of the B-29 (except the B-32), and none could carry the payload (except the Lanc). And even so, what an aircraft's designed for doesn't necessarily mean it's not good in a different role. Take the F-16, it was originally a lightweight fighter designed for close in dogfights and no other purpose, and look what it is today. And Boeing got that lead because it had far and away the most experience designing large planes, eg the B-29. (The B-29 was also good enough at dropping incendiaries and night that it was again used in Korea in the same role.)

But none had the range of the B-29 (except the B-32), and none could carry the payload (except the Lanc). And even so, what an aircraft's designed for doesn't necessarily mean it's not good in a different role. Take the F-16, it was originally a lightweight fighter designed for close in dogfights and no other purpose, and look what it is today. And Boeing got that lead because it had far and away the most experience designing large planes, eg the B-29. (The B-29 was also good enough at dropping incendiaries and night that it was again used in Korea in the same role.)

SL you are missing the point I am making. It does not matter that the B 29 was designed as a high altitude bomber with conventional bombs but made its name dropping A bombs and doing night raids, the point is the investment in MAKING the engines work gave the US a lead in reliable high output piston engines to tide the world over until Jet and turbo props took over. The point I am making is that the B 29 was a great investment even though it never fulfilled its brief of dropping iron bombs accurately from high altitude.

Technology is technology just because it is designed for an aircraft doesn't mean it only applies to aircraft. I worked at a company that made some of the inner parts of the Large Hadron Collider (the bits close to the plasma). Making internally copper coated highly alloyed stainless tubes that have zero gauss at minus 270C seems extreme and of little value but a company that can satisfy the requirement learns a lot and wins future clients.

FBJ I was generalising you are being specific, I can guarantee that before you spin off this mortal coil you will see something in every day life that started as an off shoot of the F 35 programme. It is the way life works, George Cayley (1773-1857) had all sorts of ideas related to flight his greatest idea was what everyone would recognise as a bicycle wheel.
I understood exactly where you were going, I was being specific because there are some on here who aren't as "broad minded." All one as to do is look at the Apollo program and all the technology offshoot that came from there...

Just in case I'd show my ugly mug here again.....hang on.....d*mmit....too late for that....anyway, nothing is to be taken as criticism against Lockheed etc., as you know me, I'm 30+ years or so behind you lot and every modern jet is ugly etc., etc., and the F-4 Phantom, F-8 Crusader, J35 Draken etc., are the hottest jets on landing gear....
At the same, I appreciate the discussion as I learn a lot about the F-35...
Just wanted to point that out gentlemen!

Btw, a tad off topic, a voice in the back of my noggin is annoying me, wasn't Grumman founded by a Norwegian, or am I remember it wrong somewhat?

Just in case I'd show my ugly mug here again.....hang on.....d*mmit....too late for that....anyway, nothing is to be taken as criticism against Lockheed etc., as you know me, I'm 30+ years or so behind you lot and every modern jet is ugly etc., etc., and the F-4 Phantom, F-8 Crusader, J35 Draken etc., are the hottest jets on landing gear....
At the same, I appreciate the discussion as I learn a lot about the F-35...
Just wanted to point that out gentlemen!

Btw, a tad off topic, a voice in the back of my noggin is annoying me, wasn't Grumman founded by a Norwegian, or am I remember it wrong somewhat?

No worries mate, just as long as you're not wearing a polyester leisure suit!

Leroy Grumman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No worries mate, just as long as you're not wearing a polyester leisure suit!

Leroy Grumman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers J! I wonder where I got the Norway thing from... :lol:

Noticed that today as well...

I saw that - I take it with a grain of salt, the guy was a "black shoe." I'm sure there's folks in the USAF who welcome that ;)

Black shoe?! :confused: :lol:

Black shoe?! :confused: :lol:

'Surface' sailors, they serve on ships and wear "black shoes." :rolleyes:

Brown Shoe - aviation naval officers and senior enlisted members, due to the dark brown footwear worn in uniform. Brown Shoes may serve on ships too depending on what type of aircraft they work on, MUCH COOLER PEOPLE! ;)

AD.jpg

gunner-sbd-dauntless.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back