some F35 info

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Gulf War I was 25 years ago. To put that time shift in context, how many aircraft from 1966 were still considered vital combat assets in 1991? Also, what proportion of USMC missions were flown by AV-8B compared to CTOL USMC aircraft? I'd argue that the whole raison d'etre for Harrier died when the threat of the Soviet 3rd Shock Army rolling over the inner German border evaporated. I just don't see a case where we need rough-field STOVL operations today - it provides nothing that cannot be done with aircraft that can fly further and/or carry more.

Wouldn't that have been better performed by organically incorporating the Harrier into US Army forces Europe?

The time shift thing seems to have changed though.
For example, how many aircraft from 1991 (and much earlier) are still considered vital combat assets today?

It's not the age of the issue that's relevant but the need for STOVL capability. There are plenty of airframes dating from earlier than 1991 that are still entirely relevant today but others that aren't. For my money, A-10 and Harrier both fall into the latter category. Don't get me wrong - I think both aircraft are fantastic. It's just that their roles have disappeared. Rather like horse-borne cavalry, really. :)

It's not the age of the issue that's relevant but the need for STOVL capability. There are plenty of airframes dating from earlier than 1991 that are still entirely relevant today but others that aren't. For my money, A-10 and Harrier both fall into the latter category. Don't get me wrong - I think both aircraft are fantastic. It's just that their roles have disappeared. Rather like horse-borne cavalry, really. :)

At the risk of thread creep, would you perhaps say the same applies to the M1 Abrams tank? It seems today a diesel reciprocating-engine powered vehicle, better suited to long periods of idling, more economical fuel consumption, urban warfare and working closely with dismounted troops would be more appropriate?

The M1 was envisioned to be working in the same environment as the A-10 and Harrier previously mentioned.

Last edited:
Here is the FY14' report on the F-35. The press doesn't report any of this stuff (even if it's negative) because they're too stupid to look for it.

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/da.../DOT-E_2014_Annual_Report_Section_on_F-35.pdf

Its an interesting read and not as negative as I expected. There were engine problems that caused delays in the flight testing which in turn meant that a number of goals were missed which is understandable. A structural failure yes but well into the second lifetime test cycle.
The good progress of the F35B and F35C plus the use of the 3F to make up ground lost with the 2B. Its behind on the mission systems but they were held up by the engine problems.

Last edited:
How does F-35 bomb-load capacity compare to the F-22 and YF-23?

IIRC the F-22 can carry 2000 pounds or bombs internally and another 2000 pounds on wing pylons. In that configuration the RCS is increased so it loses some of it's stealth capability.

The YF-23 in it's prototype form carried no bombs.

The F-35 can carry 3000 pounds of bombs internally and another 15,000 pound on hardpoints, 18k total

Deliberaty ignoring the fact that this is a one off "X" plane?

Are you ignoring the US Govt paper I produced much earlier that gave the cost of a combat drone of $500m?
It should ne noted that current combat drones don't have a fraction of the capabilities of the 'cheap' drones that you are after. What one of those would cost I can only guess at.

Re the Su T50 fighter. The Russians have announced that they are going to build 12 aircraft over the coming years which to me sounds like prototypes which means that the AA missiles you are relying on, are on there own. The Su27 which seems to be the fighter that Russia are relying on is generally considered to be a match for the F15 which makes the F15 an excellent aircraft to compare the F35 against, or do you disagree?

The F35 "Schitzoid". Doesnt know if its fighter or a bomber. Its really good to know it carries a paltry 4000 pound internal payload when in full stealth profile. Pathetic. The fact it can carry even more on hardpoints at the cost of stealth just prives what many critics have condemed it for.

A purpose built bomber would carry a lot more internally. And if its selling point is it can carry a lot externally, then why have a stealth capability to begin with?

As fighter, its just a joke. It wont be able to maneuver with any modern fighters.

As for its software, its going to be its downfall. One issue after another. It wont be till 2020 that all the bugs are worked and by then the plane is already obsolescent. A great multi hundred billion dollar investment in a flying turkey. It would have been far better to invest the money in drone R&D and embrace the future rather than this deadend.

Last edited:
It would have been far better to invest the money in drone R&D and embrace the future rather than this deadend.

Like this?
Boeing_X-37B_after_landing_at_Vandenberg_AFB,_3_December_2010.jpg

The F35 "Schitzoid". Doesnt know if its fighter or a bomber. Its really good to know it carries a paltry 4000 pound internal payload when in full stealth profile. Pathetic. The fact it can carry even more on hardpoints at the cost of stealth just prives what many critics have condemed it for.

A purpose built bomber would carry a lot more internally. And if its selling point is it can carry a lot externally, then why have a stealth capability to begin with?

As fighter, its just a joke. It wont be able to maneuver with any modern fighters.

As for its software, its going to be its downfall. One issue after another. It wont be till 2020 that all the bugs are worked and by then the plane is already obsolescent. A great multi hundred billion dollar investment in a flying turkey. It would have been far better to invest the money in drone R&D and embrace the future rather than this deadend.
I take that to be a Yes you are ignoring the cost, survivability, size and other drone issues which will presumably have no developmental problems.

Re the aircraft it will be fighting against can you tell us which Russian fighter the F35 will not be able to outperform?

Last edited:
The F35 "Schitzoid". Doesnt know if its fighter or a bomber. Its really good to know it carries a paltry 4000 pound internal payload when in full stealth profile. Pathetic.
More myopic drivvle... :rolleyes: And I guess the F-117A was just as pathetic as it carried even less of an internal payload?!?!?

The fact it can carry even more on hardpoints at the cost of stealth just prives what many critics have condemed it for.

If you expand your brain cells you'll find that this is an option to be utilized when striking lower risk targets

Genius, see above

Prove it - maneuverability of an F/A-18 WITH and internal payload as admitted by pilots who fly the Typhoon.

More BS from the uneducated, uninformed, and unenlightened. The F-18 has software issues as we speak, an ongoing situation, same with the F-22. You're a bundle of optimism, I bet you have a picture of Pierre Spey hung up on your wall!

meanwhile...

General Defends Embattled $850 Billion F-35 Program | The Fiscal Times

Last edited:
The cost of a drone at 700 million? Sure . I believe that. Maybe for a one time airframe. With all the money pissed away for the Schitzo fighter, we could have put it in R&D for drones and would be able to deploy them by 2020 at a fraction of the cost of what were paying now.

The cost of a drone at 700 million? Sure . I believe that. Maybe for a one time airframe. With all the money pissed away for the Schitzo fighter, we could have put it in R&D for drones and would be able to deploy them by 2020 at a fraction of the cost of what were paying now.

Northrop Grumman RQ-4 Global Hawk

Weight: 14,950 lbs (6,781 kg)

Unit cost: $222,700,000–$222,700,000 USD (2013)

Sure Sys, and this could fly them...

7817709_f520.jpg

You have not provided one iota of proof, data, information to support your uninformed and sometimes ignorant argument. Please stop reading the articles on yahoo that reference data from 2007

Users who are viewing this thread

Back