some F35 info

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

And another nice pic:

beta&t=TKc6_t0HZOHzhMoZjw65DS8CgaiqE2rhRp82ZXK2AG8.jpg

UK MOD just took delivery of 3 more F-35Bs, meaning the UK now has 26 jets in operational service plus an additional 3 undertaking test flights in the US. A further 7 airframes are supposed to be delivered in 2023, with the full complement of 47 (they ordered 48 but one had a whoopsie off the deck of HMS Queen Elizabeth) scheduled to arrive before the end of 2025.

More interestingly, the UK MOD is making noises about purchasing further airframes. Apparently, funding for an additional F-35 buy has been delegated to RAF Air Command and the First Sea Lord recently stated that the UK was looking for a total buy of "about 60" and then "maybe more up to around 80" which would provide four deployable squadrons. Those numbers are still a long way short of the 138 originally envisaged...but I'm all for seeing more F-35s in RAF and FAA service (I just wish they'd gone with the F-35A and F-35C variants instead of the Bs).

My understanding is that the plan has always been to have an absolute minimum of 3x Sqn of F-35B, with more preferred. When funding will be available has been the only question recently.

The idea is to have 2x Sqn available at ~all times for ops (1x Sqn/24x airframes per carrier), with the 3rd Sqn able to be stood up quickly in case of hostilities for reinforcement, and all 3x Sqn rotating for training and such as needed.

Part of the reason the UK bought the B variant is due to the idea that they will be able to operate along side the USMC Sqns from the same platforms, ie operating as STOVL from either the new RN large carriers or the USN LHA/LHD classes.

My understanding is that the plan has always been to have an absolute minimum of 3x Sqn of F-35B, with more preferred. When funding will be available has been the only question recently.

The idea is to have 2x Sqn available at ~all times for ops (1x Sqn/24x airframes per carrier), with the 3rd Sqn able to be stood up quickly in case of hostilities for reinforcement, and all 3x Sqn rotating for training and such as needed.

Part of the reason the UK bought the B variant is due to the idea that they will be able to operate along side the USMC Sqns from the same platforms, ie operating as STOVL from either the new RN large carriers or the USN LHA/LHD classes.

Yep....and given the UK's financial situation, I suspect the promised funding is still very much at risk. Apparently, a decision on the precise size of any additional buy will only be made in 2025 which seems late to me because it will take time to get that order slotted into the production schedule.

I know why the UK bought the F-35B. I just think it was a stupid idea driven solely by the Harrier Mafia. When have the RAF or USMC EVER operated from land using the STOVL role, even with the Harriers? Yes, it made sense in the Cold War and RAF Harrier units regularly trained to deploy to woods and use roads as runways. However, that training hasn't been conducted for over 20 years now so the skillset just isn't there. If we're not training to use the advantages of the STOVL capability, why on earth buy that sort of platform. The illogic is deafening.

A UK purchase of the C-variant would allow interoperability with the USN using aircraft that provided longer range and larger payload than the B-variant. I'm guessing the RAF leadership thought that was perilously close to being solely a Navy asset and so hedged their bets on the B-variant (presumably a mix of A and C-variants would be too expensive).

I know why the UK bought the F-35B. I just think it was a stupid idea driven solely by the Harrier Mafia. When have the RAF or USMC EVER operated from land using the STOVL role, even with the Harriers?

Its nothing to do with STVOL ashore and everything to do with sortie generation rates

Dude, why do keep posting dribble with nothing to back up your nonsense?!?!?

Thanks Joe. I was really scratching my head at that comment. I have no idea how, or even if, differences between the F-35 variants impacts sortie rates. If anything, I'd have argued that the B-variant would likely have lower sortie generation rates because it's got a lot more moving parts (separate lift engine plus that funky rear nozzle).

In case anyone wondering, the F-35 naysayers are still alive and well. This "article" follows a similar pattern of taking selective facts (and a few "facts") then liberally sprinkle negative hyperbole in between....good words include boondoggle, expensive, failure, under-performing etc etc.

There was another incident in Okinawa a month ago.
As few seem to know, please let me introduce.

On the afternoon of the 1st, an F-35 fighter plane fell forward while being towed at Kadena Air Base, and is currently still stopped.
After 2:00 pm on the 1st, when the F-35 stealth fighter that made an emergency landing at Kadena Air Base was being towed, white smoke rose from near the right main landing gear. After that, for some reason, part of the nose landing gear became retracted, and the fuselage fell forward and the nose touched the ground. The U.S. military said the F-35 had made an emergency landing due to an electrical problem, and that the landing gear failed during towing, and that no one was injured.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esh5g94Jps8

There was another incident in Okinawa a month ago.
As few seem to know, please let me introduce.

On the afternoon of the 1st, an F-35 fighter plane fell forward while being towed at Kadena Air Base, and is currently still stopped.
After 2:00 pm on the 1st, when the F-35 stealth fighter that made an emergency landing at Kadena Air Base was being towed, white smoke rose from near the right main landing gear. After that, for some reason, part of the nose landing gear became retracted, and the fuselage fell forward and the nose touched the ground. The U.S. military said the F-35 had made an emergency landing due to an electrical problem, and that the landing gear failed during towing, and that no one was injured.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esh5g94Jps8

Looks like someone left the park brake on while towing, with the way it was bouncing.

No more update is found than this.

The F-35B stealth fighter jet deployed at Iwakuni Air Base (Yamaguchi Pref.) and stayed at the U.S. Air Force Kadena Air Base in Okinawa due to the front landing gear problem after the emergency landing was moved to a parking spot on the 4th.

Kadena_Dec_4_2022.jpg

Source: 緊急着陸後に故障した米軍のF35戦闘機 トレーラーで誘導路から移動 嘉手納基地 | 沖縄タイムス+プラス ニュース | 沖縄タイムス+プラス

Users who are viewing this thread

Back