some F35 info

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A series of procedure to move.

Series_of_procedure_01.jpg
Series_of_procedure_02.jpg
Series_of_procedure_03.jpg

Source: 米軍嘉手納基地で故障のF35ステルス戦闘機 格納庫に|NHK 沖縄県のニュース

Regarding the effectiveness of the F35 in air combat, which has often been criticised by some politicians and areas of the press. This is a summary of an article in Air Forces Monthly.

In March 2023 Russian Su35 aircraft knowingly and deliberately broke the protocols set up to avoid accidents that might escalate around Al-Omar oilfield the US military camps next to the nearby Conoco Gas field. Initially the Su35's approached the area but eventually were making low level passes directly over the camps. They then engaged in dogfights against F16CM block 50's from the 77th EFS flying from Muwaffag Al-Salti air base in Jordan. The support of F22's was requested in May 23rd and this resulted in a cessation of such activity and the F22's left, leaving the F16's to continue.
When the Raptors left the Su35 started making dangerous manoeuvres around USAF aircraft and drones resulting in the USAF flying armed patrols in F35A's from the 421st Black Widows based in Jordan who had six F16's and eight F35's.
Such was the effectiveness of these patrols, that on August 14 the Russian MOD made a formal complaint about the dangerous manoeuvres being carried out by the 421st close to their Su35's. Discussions took place and it was agreed by both parties that things should calm down and the protocols were reinstated from Sept 2023.

For me, the interesting thing is that the F35's didn't use their stealth ability, Their Luneberg radar reflectors were kept in place the entire time so they would have been very visible to the Russian radars but despite this, the F35 was able to get the better of the Su35 which is a very effective fighter.

Regarding the effectiveness of the F35 in air combat, which has often been criticised by some politicians and areas of the press. This is a summary of an article in Air Forces Monthly.

In March 2023 Russian Su35 aircraft knowingly and deliberately broke the protocols set up to avoid accidents that might escalate around Al-Omar oilfield the US military camps next to the nearby Conoco Gas field. Initially the Su35's approached the area but eventually were making low level passes directly over the camps. They then engaged in dogfights against F16CM block 50's from the 77th EFS flying from Muwaffag Al-Salti air base in Jordan. The support of F22's was requested in May 23rd and this resulted in a cessation of such activity and the F22's left, leaving the F16's to continue.
When the Raptors left the Su35 started making dangerous manoeuvres around USAF aircraft and drones resulting in the USAF flying armed patrols in F35A's from the 421st Black Widows based in Jordan who had six F16's and eight F35's.
Such was the effectiveness of these patrols, that on August 14 the Russian MOD made a formal complaint about the dangerous manoeuvres being carried out by the 421st close to their Su35's. Discussions took place and it was agreed by both parties that things should calm down and the protocols were reinstated from Sept 2023.

For me, the interesting thing is that the F35's didn't use their stealth ability, Their Luneberg radar reflectors were kept in place the entire time so they would have been very visible to the Russian radars but despite this, the F35 was able to get the better of the Su35 which is a very effective fighter.
Funny, I always thought that a stealth aircraft was a stealth aircraft 24/7 and nothing that you can turn on and off. If you can turn it on and off, why do they then build stealth aircraft they way that they do, if its just down to electronics (which you apparently can turn on and off), why don't they then fit them to a C-130 Hercules and similar aircraft, if its down to electronics then they should be able to make a brick go stealth....

What am I missing here, because obviously I am missing something as I'm no fan of modern aviation....🤨🤔😉😆😂

Funny, I always thought that a stealth aircraft was a stealth aircraft 24/7 and nothing that you can turn on and off. If you can turn it on and off, why do they then build stealth aircraft they way that they do, if its just down to electronics (which you apparently can turn on and off), why don't they then fit them to a C-130 Hercules and similar aircraft, if its down to electronics then they should be able to make a brick go stealth....

What am I missing here, because obviously I am missing something as I'm no fan of modern aviation....🤨🤔😉😆😂
The reflectors are installed on the external parts of the aircraft. I don't believe they are deployed during the mission, you put them on before you take off. The object it twofold: -

a) they significantly increase the radar cross section making you more visible
b) as a result of this the opponent doesn't know your radar characteristics

Without getting anywhere close to any of the classified part of stealth, most people don't understand that it's a package of technologies that make the object have stealth capabilities. It requires careful structural design, fabrication, coatings, material selection, electronics selection, EMI control and weapons selection and integration to give an aircraft it's stealth capability. Detection of aircraft with current stealth levels is a whole 'nuther discussion.

Stealth aircraft operating in domestic or international airspace still need to be tracked for reasons of safety. The stealth properties of an airframe are only one component of stealth. Electronics and thermal regulation are others. A stealth platform can dramatically reduce its stealthiness simply by lowering the landing gear.

As noted above, panels can be added/deleted or extended/retracted to modify the airframe's radar reflection.

It shows how far Russia is in the technology race. 1,000 plus stealth aircraft in service/production and decades of service experience. Now we have at least three credible 6th Generation projects underway with first flight / service dates around 12 years from now.
Russia has at best a handful of aircraft that are going nowhere from a project that India walked away from.

China is clearly a bigger threat but even here they are concentrating on copying Western developments. The pace of change is almost scary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back