Some FW190A-8 photos

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

von hahn

Airman 1st Class
Aug 2, 2008
JNB
fw1901.jpg
fw1902.jpg
fw1903.jpg
fw1905.jpg
fw1906.jpg
fw1907.jpg
fw1908.jpg
fw1901.jpg

I've attached a few photos of the FW190A that I was fortunate enough to get into yesterday in Johannesburg. There are many exterior photos of the aircraft around, so I uploaded cockpit shots as these may be of help to some.

One or two interesting things though, I included the left main undercarriage leg so you can see the placement of the manufacturers' data plates. Also, you'll notice a wire attached-apparently this was linked to the tail wheel retraction mechanism and would help raise the tail wheel when the main gear was raised. The last and second last photos show the detail and positioning of the flap position indicator window on the wing, something I've never seen in books before.

This particular aircraft interestingly carries a data plate that reads simply "R/8" on the rear left fuselage. The MK108 cannons in gondolas are mockups but I'm guessing that's why it has the R/8 Rustzatz designation.

Enjoy the photos!

It would be wonderful to see these aircraft restored. The Fw190 still leaks oil from the engine and has a tray filled with sawdust on the floor- 72 years later!

Behind the radio compartment hatch there is a poem written in pencil by a crewman about his sweetheart...preserved under a clearcoat.

AM 10 - Focke-Wulf Fw190A-6/R6 - WNr.550214 - coded PN+LU of III./NJG11 - shipped to South Africa November 1946, on static display at South African Museum of Military History, Saxonwold
It carries reproduction MK103 gondolas. These were not present when the aircraft was captured (ref. Captured Butcherbirds, p.21)

And von Hahn i could not be more jealous ... thanks for sharing these pictures

You're right snautzer01- an A-6 it is...sorry!

I spoke to the gent who oversees the aircraft collection and he pointed out the data plate riveted to the fuselage saying simply "R/8" which I have always thought was a Rustzats applied only to A-8s (ie "A-8/R8" sturmbock?).

He did say that the aircraft had evidently been fitted with a number of modifications during its service life not all of which were present when the museum got the aircraft.

What strikes me is the (what I assume is) RLM 66 in the cockpit isn't nearly as dark of a gray as most model paints portray it as. Yes, a flash was obviously used to take the pics but it's still much more of a medium-ish gray than a dark, black-gray.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back