South Australian Model Expo Pics (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wayne Little

Staff
Mod
Oct 7, 2006
Adelaide Sth. Aust.
Hi Guys, just want to be sure if this is where you would like to see various models from our Model Expo last weekend, or should I put them somewhere else?

Wayne from down under..

Ok here we go!

First up my own first place winner A6M2 Zero, Medium Scale Category Single Engine Prop.
..and another of my First place winners, Multi Engined Prop J1N1 Gekko.

Attachments

• Zero BII-101.JPG
    Zero BII-101.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 463
  • Gekko.JPG
    Gekko.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 423
VERY nice - I especially like the varnished finish on the Zero - dead right! What scale? 1/48th at a guess, Hasegawa and Tamiya?

Good shots Wayne. :thumbleft:
As far as the varnished finish on the Zero is concerned I think that it shouldn't be .Looking at the pics of Zero with light grey camo they weren't so shiny.The model looks like polished plane for the speed test or racing.Anyway, I like them :) .

Hey guys thanks for the comments.

With regards to the Zero and the Glossy/shiny finish, it is in fact correct.
In the ealy stages of Zero life the aircraft were painted with a gloss paint and kept in very good condition by the maintenance crews, especially the elite carrier groups, as the war progressed the finish slowly changed due to many circumstances to a semi gloss satin sheen and finally a flat finish on some aircraft.
The majority of photo's sadly do not show the gloss finish and appear to be a flat finish. Surviving relics do indeed indicate a gloss finish. My Zero has been finished based on the latest reseach that has been uncovered in the last few years and correspondence with persons who have access to the original Pearl harbor relics and created matching paint samples to boot!
Here are a couple of images that show the reflective qualities of the paint.

Attachments

• A6M2 Gloss Finisha.JPG
    A6M2 Gloss Finisha.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 410
  • A6m2 Glossy Finish EI-120a.JPG
    A6m2 Glossy Finish EI-120a.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 392
Next Aircraft.. another Winner of mine. 1/32 scale Fw190A-5 Large Scale Prop category.
Spent a lot of hours over the past month and pleased with the result.

Regards Wayne

Attachments

• Fw190A-5a.JPG
    Fw190A-5a.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 390
  • Fw190A-5b.JPG
    Fw190A-5b.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 463
And here are the second and third place aircraft Large Scale Prop Category.

Attachments

• Fw190D-9.JPG
    Fw190D-9.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 371
  • Bf109K-4.JPG
    Bf109K-4.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 365
Very nice again! Although I prefer a bit more weathering, that is a personal choice.

Solid research about the varnish on the Zero - and getting a finish like that is very difficult.

The Hasegawa/Revell 190D is on my list - it's sitting there waiting for me to get my modelling room sorted out again; the prevoius place I am having to strip out as we're converting that part of the house into liveable space. :cry: Nowhere to work!

The Revell edition is interesting, as it has parts for a standard D-9, or one equipped with the broad-chord tail unit of the Ta152. I'll probably keep it standard, but not sure...

Hey guys thanks for the comments.

With regards to the Zero and the Glossy/shiny finish, it is in fact correct.
In the ealy stages of Zero life the aircraft were painted with a gloss paint and kept in very good condition by the maintenance crews, especially the elite carrier groups, as the war progressed the finish slowly changed due to many circumstances to a semi gloss satin sheen and finally a flat finish on some aircraft.
The majority of photo's sadly do not show the gloss finish and appear to be a flat finish. Surviving relics do indeed indicate a gloss finish. My Zero has been finished based on the latest reseach that has been uncovered in the last few years and correspondence with persons who have access to the original Pearl harbor relics and created matching paint samples to boot!
Here are a couple of images that show the reflective qualities of the paint.

Hi Wayne !!!
Sorry for my earlier opinion but I haven't seen the pics early :oops:.Point for you.According to the shots you have been right.:) .
The next models are excellent.No wonder they have got the wins.Congrats on it :D

hey Wurger, not a problem, everyone is indeed entitled to their opinion(s) Years ago I didn't believe it to be correct either but as new info comes to light, we are pointed in the right direction with this new data to correctly represent the aircraft as they were painted. It has been a good eye opening experience for me with my interest in Japanese aircraft. At the other end of the scale the late war Gekko has a flat finish overall and in my case the modelled aircraft was relatively new and had minimal weathering and chipping, this also can be documented from photo's.
Hope this helps increase awareness of some Japanese painted aircraft.

Best Regards Wayne

8) Wooow!! Great models Wayne!! ... I specially liked the Fw190A and D!

:shock: Really interesting the Zero's shiny finish!

Well deserved all the prizes! :thumbleft:

Congratulations!

Thanks Gilbert glad you like them. I'm going to take some detail shots of my A-5 outside tomorrow, so if you want to see some more...just ask!!

Ok guys, here's another Great looking Winner from a mate of mine, looks great don't it!!
Medium scale Jets Late 60's to the Present.

Wayne

Attachments

• F18 Tiger meet_a.JPG
    F18 Tiger meet_a.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 204

Users who are viewing this thread

Back