Spielberg Hanks Reunite For HBO Mini-Series "Masters of the Air"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

vikingBerserker

Lieutenant General
Apr 10, 2009
South Carolina
This is something I am excited about,

Spielberg Hanks Reunite For HBO Mini-Series 'Masters Of The Air'

There has been a few rumours circulating that Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg were set to join forces again for HBO following the huge success of 2001′s Band Of Brothers and The Pacific from 2010. Now, THR have revealed that it is happening and due to be called Masters Of The Air, which is based on Donald L. Miller's non-fiction book: Masters of the Air: America's Bomber Boys Who Fought the Air War Against Nazi Germany.

It's perfect ground for Hanks and Spielberg, who have an extensive history with such source material and I'm sure they'll want to portray it in the right way, as both legends have a lot of respect and understanding for WWII. Gary Goetzman will join the two in producing, as he co-owns Playtone – Tom Hanks production company – together with Amblin Television for HBO.

On writing duties, Graham Yost is being scouted, he's the creator of Justified but also contributed to writing episodes of The Pacific and Band of Brothers. The previous two series were a massive success with critical and public opinion, winning awards and creating outstanding ensemble casts that included the likes of Damian Lewis, Tom Hardy, Michael Fassbender, Colin Hanks, Simon Pegg and more…it'll be interesting to see who they gather for this outing which, of course, is in the very early stages!

I can imagine once seen this flick will be scrutinized to no end, as per review stating thousands of Allied airmen in prisoner camps is a bit far fetched................

hmm wonder how much free useage of fiction will be implied as this historically could well be a high event.

Really looking forward to seeing this. BoB was just terrific. I had many issues with The Pacific, but it was still good.

Thanks for sharing!

I'm also really intriguing, and excited, to see what they do with this one. I hope it's safe to assume that they'll try to make this in the right way! I was disappointed with Red Tails, which I felt went a bit 'too' Hollywood for an amazing story.

Would have loved to see something similar for RAF bomber crews and maybe Luftwaffe series! 8)

I can't wait for this one!

Btw, Got Band of Borthers and The Pacific box sets.... 8)

well, if spielberg does this flick like he did Savings ryans Privates, or even empire of the sun, I will be happy. if we get another Pearl harbour i will not be happy.

Historical detail doesnt worry me so much, though it gives credibility to the story. I just cannot stomach total bs. Put another way, I hope we get another tora tota tora over another PH.

Here is an update (from HBO series on Mighty Eighth Air Force | The Coastal Source )

New HBO Series on Mighty Eight Air Force Cost 500 Million Dollars!

SAVANNAH, GA – More lights, camera, and action slated for the Coastal Empire. Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg confirm the production of a 10 hour HBO series on the Mighty Eighth Air Force. Look inside the National Museum of the Mighty Eighth Air Force in Pooler and behind the military history are countless stories of bravery, courage, and a brotherhood that runs through their veins.

And now the entire country will experience them as well. The HBO series will highlight the Mighty 8th Air Force and its crucial role in World War Two. It's reportedly going to be the most expensive production in the history of television costing 500 million dollars. It's based on a book written by Don Miller who did research at the National Museum of the Mighty 8th Air Force. Much of the filming will take place in Germany and England, but a fair amount is planned here. Museum President and CEO Henry Skipper is thrilled with the recognition.

"It gives us an opportunity to showcase everything we have, and bring the world to Savannah to see what goes on here. And also tell the story behind the scenes, so to speak, of the Air Force after the movie comes out," says Skipper.

Tom Hanks production team arrives in October. The Mighty Eighth was the greatest air armada the world had ever seen. Out of its 350-thousand members, 26,000 were killed in action. And 28 thousand became prisoners of war.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back