Spitfire Mk IX c Early Version 1/48 Eduard

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ajcmac

Airman 1st Class
Aug 29, 2009
Vila Real
I completed a Spitfire Mk XIc Eduard. I liked it ...

Spitfire MK IX 208.jpg

Spitfire MK IX 207.jpg

so I decided to build a second model. This time the Spitfire Mk IXc but early version and with paint used in North Africa.

The model.

Spit 001.jpg

The scheme chosen.

Spit 002.jpg

Sprues

Spit 003.jpg

Spit 004.jpg

Spit 005.jpg

Spit 006.jpg

PE, Decals and mask.

Spit 007.jpg

Regards

ajcmac

Very nice addition to your collection. Your work is impressive as always and I hope you stick around to post some progress shots of the desert version. I was very tempted to pick up this kit myself but have built 3 Spitfires in the last 5 years and have another in the stash. I really wished that Eduard had done a Mk XIV as it is under-represented rather than yet another Mk IX.

Nice work!

Hello,

A great work and a very good choice too but I would like to point out your attention on the scheme chosen: it seems that recently studies show that the EN315 does not necessarily have a desert scheme ... It is mentioned in Polish Wings 13 Review: Polish Wings 13 - Spitfire Mk IX 1942-1943 (Part 1) | IPMS/USA or POLISH WINGS#13 ? SUPERMARINE SPITFIRE IX 1942-1943 from MMP: In late January 1943 RAF HC in Africa asked for delivery of Spitfire IX originally earmarked to Malta. It seems that by then Spitfires delivered the island were finished DG/DE on top. It is also known that at least some Spitfires used on Malta were finished in a single-tone scheme of blue-grey hue on top. Thus it is not impossible that some Spitfires IXs of "Skalski's Circus" were finished in these Maltese scheme(s).
It's the same problem as L. Wade Spitfire EN186 (no code letters worn)
18.jpg

from Polish Fighting Team

Spitfire IX ZX°1 EN459 is repainted too... The camo scheme was superimposed on the original day fighter scheme. You can see this fact on the picture
1.jpg

Spitfire fuselages were painted at the factory before final assembly, but desert scheme was applied on complete aircraft and the bottom of the fuselage of EN459 retained the original colours...

Steph

Last edited:
Thank you for your visits and for your comments:notworthy:.

le_steph40

I searched and found photos of various aircraft from the same squadron. ZX+1, ZX+5 and ZX+0. All painted with the desert scheme. I could not find photos of the ZX+6.

In the second book the author presents the ZX+6 with three paint schemes but not yet clear what paint scheme used.

Spit 008.jpg

But there is no problem. There is a sheet of decals for the four models with the desert scheme (Techmod Decals). The idea will then make the ZX+5. Otherwise I will make the model with U.S. brands though like most to the English brands.

Regards

ajcmac

ZX-6 serial EN 315 was a Spitfire Mk.IX used by C Flight ( called the Polish Fighting Team - PFT ) of the 145th Squadron in the North Africa . All pilots of the Flight were Pols. Here is a couple of shots of the kite.. that rather wore the standard RAF desert camo scheme possible applied over the standard RAF day fighter camo.

pft-12.jpg

pft-18.jpg

large.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Sorry but I can not understand why the topic has been moved to Your Completed Kits.

The first two images (HF Spitfire Mk. IXc Late Version) are a model already finished but what I want is to build the second. The Spitfire Mk IXc Early Version with the desert scheme.

And already started preparing the pieces to start painting.

Spit 009.jpg

Spit 010.jpg

Regards

ajcmac

Oh.. sorry.... Just you have posted the finished model and I thought it's done. OK. I'm moving it back.

Great references Wojtek. That thin slash of light colour between the engine cowl and the victory marks is a bit of a puzzler. It doesn't not appear to be part of the standard camo.

I don't remember exactly where I read that it was the result of spilt fuel and fadding of the colour at the area.

Most probably is just that. If the aircraft was refuelled from cans, it's possible that the older, square cans were used, rather than the 'Jerry cans'. These were as useful as a chocolate teapot, and, being more difficult to balance and pour, fuel could easily spill all over the place.

Thank you all for your comments :thumbleft:.

The place where I have my bench is not pleasant at this time of year. I have done little and what I do is a improvised work bench in the kitchen. Take the material in a wooden plate and end it all back to the place of origin. A little boring. I cut and prepared some pieces, I gluing and little else.

Spit009.jpg

Spit010.jpg

Yesterday, as a bit fed up of having no advances decided to paint what was already glued.

Spit011.jpg

Spit012.jpg

Spit013.jpg

Spit014.jpg

Spit015.jpg

I glued and sanded the engine cowling.

Spit016.jpg

For now is all.

Best regards

ajcmac

Users who are viewing this thread

Back