Spitfire Mk IX Tamiya - w.i.p.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think that your representation of that Merlin engine is among the best I've ever seen. You are really doing this Tamiya kit more than justice. Top marks, Alberto! Can't wait to see the finished product, but of course, take your time. The wait, I know, will be more than worth it. I'm really going to school on your building techniques. Kudos!! :D

It's looking really good so far. I've been waiting to see a review of this much talked about kit, and the photos of your progress don't disappoint.

Last edited:
Hi,
for sure I'm not a fast modeller!
But finally , also thanks to some sunny days, I went a bit forward with this Spit.

Of course my cat loves sun as well.
DSCN0857-vi.jpg

DSCN0905-vi.jpg

After the traditional two colour camouflage, I added the repainting of British roundels that was done with a similar Gray colour before applying Italian roundels.
DSCN0902-vi.jpg

DSCN0903-vi.jpg

Next will be the Sky band on the fuselage, then two coats of Future and a bit of ageing/weathering.
Cheers
Alberto

Next will be the Sky band on the fuselage ...
Cheers
Alberto

Hi again,
about the above, what should be the exact colour for the Sky band?
I was ready to go with the Sky colour suggested by Tamiya (XF-21) but I saw some models done with a different shade so I'm asking for some help.

Also I saw that in some kits the wheel bays are painted "interior green" while Tamiya suggest "under-surface colour" and some kits are done in this way, do you know what should be the correct colour for an aeroplane built in March 1944?
I mention the built date because I've been told that the under-surface colour was used only on late production machines.
Many thanks in advance for any support.
Alberto

I can't really advise on the 'Sky' colour, as I'm not that familiar with Tamiya paints - I normally use Humbrol or Xtracolour enamels, both of which ranges include 'Sky', or mix my own.
The colour of the wheel bays could vary, depending on the factory where the airframe was produced, and any re-painting at unit level. In general, the walls of the bays were the underside colour, as was the 'tunnel' for the gear legs, with the 'roof' of the wheel bays themselves in the Cockpit Grey Green colour. However, if the entire area was painted in the underside colour, this would not be incorrect, due to the above mentioned reasons.

I can't really advise on the 'Sky' colour, as I'm not that familiar with Tamiya paints - I normally use Humbrol or Xtracolour enamels, both of which ranges include 'Sky', or mix my own.
Thanks for the answer.
The "Sky" suggested by Tamiya should be corresponding to FS34354
Fs34454-vi.jpg

while the other should be FS34324 that's a bit more blueish
Fs34424-vi.jpg

I'm more inclined towards the second but I will appreciate any suggestion.
Thanks
Alberto

The first one is more like Sky, the second is far too dark and blue green. In 'real life', Sky looks like a cream colour, very close to the first swatch posted. The decals provided with the kit should have Sky code letters, which should look like the first colour, although I've seen many variations in decal colours!!

Thanks Wayne for your comment, but so far relations between my cats and my planes have been very paceful, see also here:

03092008048-vi.jpg

and here:

DSCN0187-vi.jpg

In the following instead, the risk was higher, but the plane was unhurt and wasn't mine ...

DSCN0169-vi.jpg

Cheers
Alberto

Footnote: the wood plane is a Sopwith Camel I did a couple of years ago.

Very very nicely done. This will be great model at the and with unusual markings.
Level of details is great and way how you put and paint all that together. Nice and clean,

Great work

Bets regards

Nice engine and cockpit detail, did the basic kit include all that detail or did you fabricate some of it? looks good so far....I might switch up to 1/32 just to be able to build in more detail than my 1/48 scale kits will allow....Russ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back