Spitfire Mk Vbt Slovenec

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

vesthepes

Airman
May 4, 2010
Novo mesto
Hi

This is a Spitfire by Tamiya with CMK gunbays and Balkan Models decals.
It represents a Mk Vbt from the No. 352 Yugoslav RAF Squadron. It was a fun build, but watch out for those silver metal plated Spits - horrible to paint- must peel it off prior to that..

12.jpg

13.jpg

11.jpg

more on:Avijacija 1:48

Thanks for watching

Very nicely done. What's the 't' in the MkVbt? Or should that read MkVb Trop ?
Can't understand why Tamiya ever released a silver-plated version of this kit - there 'standard' kit was good enough, and I don't know of any chrome finished Spits in real life!
I've just noticed you've used the early canopy, with the knock out panel, in combination with the later, internal armoured windscreen. Was this a 'local' fitting at the time? Normally, with that windscreen, the 'blown' canopy would be fitted. In faxct, there was a slight difference in profile on the frames, which might have caused a problem with closing fully.

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments.

@Airframes
You are correct, the t stands for Trop. I really wouldn't not know about the canopy frames, I used those by following the references (book No. 352 (Y) RAF Squadron by Tino Jelavič) but I can't answer you how come. They only used a few mark Vb Spits (others were Vc's) with distinguished characteristics as Rotol 3 bladed propeller, fishtail exhausts, bulks on the wing roots-because of the larger wheels, round rear-view mirror... I know there must be more but I can't tell at the time...

Thanks for the information. I think the bulged canopy, without the knock out panel on the side, would normally be used with the later windscreen, although of course there were exceptions to everything!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back