Spitfire PR.XIX 'The last!'

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A4K

Brigadier General
Dec 17, 2007
The back of beyond
I'm looking to build Spitfire PR.XIX PS888 'The Last!' for my uncle.

This aircraft served with No.81 sqn. at RAF Seletar (Singapore), and is the aircraft that performed the last operational Spitfire sortie, a photo recce over Malaya on April 1, 1954.
Shortly before the last flight, one of PS888's groundcrew - my uncle, George S. Travers, painted the name 'The Last!' on her nose. The incident was recorded for posterity - a copy of which I received recently from him, aswell as two post flight photos! :D

To thank him, I'm going to try and convert the Fujimi 1:72 Spitfire Mk.XIVe to a PR.XIX, as the aircraft he serviced and named. If he allows me, I'll post the photos too, one of which has previously appeared in an aviation magazine.

Any information on the PR.XIX wing panel detail would be appreciated!

Cheers, Evan

Hi Evan, I've still got an 'almost finished' PR19, converted from the old Hobbycraft MkXIV. The wing was virtually plain, although there were the fillers for the 'bowser wing' fuel tanks. I should have some shots of the BBMF's Mk19's, taken when I worked with them for two seasons, but they'll be on 35mm transparency, and will need scanning etc. I might be able to get this done by my brother, but it'll take a while, a) to find them, and b) to get them to and from said brother! I think I also have a drawing of the wing.
It should be a simple conversion, just filling some panel lines, making the camera ports and the underwing blisters, and moulding a new canopy, plus a couple of small details.
Leave it with me mate.

Thanks guys!

Fujimi also put out an LF.XIVe and PR.XIX (I just don't have the XIX). All 3 utilise the same basic mould, with additional components supplied as per box variant, so overall shouldn't be too hard a conversion.

I think I've got most of the corrections needed covered, Terry, but I'd appreciate anything you could offer - I don't mind waiting if it means she'll be more accurate for it either. Thanks mate!

(Thanks for that info too, Jan!)

Thanks mate! I'm still doing the research at the moment, hoping Terry's info can fill in some of the gaps.

I've written my uncle too regarding paintscheme details - the BBMF's PR.XIX (PS915) is flying in '888's scheme at the moment, but it's a little incorrect compared to the photos.

Of the whole process, it's always the painting that worries me the most... (Oh, for an airbrush...!)

Evan, just found out my mate has a transparency scanner! Saves sending the slides to Yorkshire and back! He's going to see if he can fit me in within this next week. Meanwhile, I'm digging out some bits and pieces. BTW, did you know the last 'official' ops by RAF Spits were by PR 19's of the 'THUM' Flight, out of Woodvale, Lancashire, I think in the late 50's or early 60's? Weren't offensive ops of course. One of the PR19's (now with BBMF) was dragged out in the '60's to do DACT with Lightning F6's, in case we (UK) got embroiled in a conflict with ?? Darn! Forgotten which country, but they had P51's, and the RAF needed to figure tactics for using Lightnings against prop jobs! Apparently, the Spit put up a bl**dy good show!
Soon as I've got some stuff, I'll give you a shout.

Thanks mate! I'd appreciate that!

Thanks for the info too, actually I had read that, during my research on this project! (For those that don't know, THUM was the RAF's Temperature and Humidity Flight, for meteorological research)

Re the Lightning trials, I read they were preparing for actions against Indonesia, over Malaya. Indonesia was using P-51's as you say, so the RAF had to develop special tactics for the Lightning pilots (this was 1962). Apparently the Spitfire XIX was the fastest piston engined aircraft available to the RAF at that time, so one was pulled out of storage for the job. In the end, they concluded it was best to attack a piston engined aircraft from below and behind in a modern jet aircraft.

That's it, Indonesia! You're nearly right. They dragged out PS895 (I think) as it was the nearest thing available to a Mustang. The THUM Flight, as I mentioned, operated out of Woodvale, which is very near Southport, on the West coast of England, in Lancashire. I lived a couple of miles from the airfield back in early 1986, but only for about three months, and I later flew in there once. Before using Woodvale, the THUM used Hooton Park, right on the banks of the River Mersey, opposite Liverpool. It's now the site of the Vauxhall (GM) car plant, where the Astra was born. Some of the perimeter track and taxi tracks are still visible, right on the edge of the Motorway.
I'm a mine of useless information you know!

Thanks Daniel and Terry!

He is my uncle, but sad to say I've never met him! My family on both sides originated in England, although my mother was born in NZ. My father moved there when he was 14. There is a whole host of relatives in England who I've never met, many of whom are or were strongly involved in English aviation and military circles, so I'd love to have a yarn with them!
The photos used for this project were passed on to me from Uncle George via the old man, with the attached note: 'I've duplicated the photos "in case you think Evan may be interested" ! (understatement of the century! :) :) )

Thanks for that info too Terry! No knowledge is useless - 'one mans trash is another one's treasure'!

Hi Evan, I'm new in here

I just received from NZ, Jays Model Kits's PR Mk.XIX. Main decals are for PS888, including..... yes..... your uncle's white paint writing on fuselage front left! They thank Brian "Lofty" Rose for letting them use his 1954 photo on the box lid.

Nice looking kit with metal prop blades, exhaust manifolds and mesh for radiators. They do some other interesting Spits (all ex-Ventura) including captured PR XI in Luftwaffe markings. I'm looking forward to slapping a yellow tail on it... typical artist! All on their website.

Airfix now have their PR XIX in the online catalogue. Also PS888, but no white "uncle signature" decal. You can download the instructions to see full-colour paint schemes. Alternative scema is for 31040 of 1 Division Flottij 11 at Nykoping in 1955. Perhaps one for you, Jan?

Good to meet you all, Jon

Hi Evan, I'm new in here

I just received from NZ, Jays Model Kits's PR Mk.XIX. Main decals are for PS888, including..... yes..... your uncle's white paint writing on fuselage front left! They thank Brian "Lofty" Rose for letting them use his 1954 photo on the box lid.

Nice looking kit with metal prop blades, exhaust manifolds and mesh for radiators. They do some other interesting Spits (all ex-Ventura) including captured PR XI in Luftwaffe markings. I'm looking forward to slapping a yellow tail on it... typical artist! All on their website.

Airfix now have their PR XIX in the online catalogue. Also PS888, but no white "uncle signature" decal. You can download the instructions to see full-colour paint schemes. Alternative scema is for 31040 of 1 Division Flottij 11 at Nykoping in 1955. Perhaps one for you, Jan?

Good to say hello to you guys, Jon

Last edited:
Was that an echo? Hi Jon, good to have you aboard, and good info on the Spit kits, even though they're not 'my' scale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back