Spitfire PR.XIX 'The last!'

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Evan, sounds like they're about the same thickness as the ones I make. Depending on what thickness/gauge plastic is used to mould the parts, the heat/vac forming will cause them to be slightly thinner in some areas, especially around exagerated curves. But, where the part meets the 'cut off' area, it can either be very thin, or the original thickness, but sort of 'case hardened', which can make it tricky to cut, if there is any uneveness around the 'spare' plastic.
I've just remembered, I said I'd post a tutorial or something about moulding canopies and/or parts - I'll get it sorted soon as I can, sorry!

Cheers Terry, I'd appreciate that!
What you said with the unevenness arounnd the spare plastic, no worries with the Falcon canopies, they're very nicely formed.
(Btw, many of their canopies are also sold as individual subjects (2 per set for fighters) under the Squadron name. saves buying a full sheet if you only need certain subjects.)

Thanks Evan, sounds like they're about the same thickness as the ones I make. Depending on what thickness/gauge plastic is used to mould the parts, the heat/vac forming will cause them to be slightly thinner in some areas, especially around exagerated curves. But, where the part meets the 'cut off' area, it can either be very thin, or the original thickness, but sort of 'case hardened', which can make it tricky to cut, if there is any uneveness around the 'spare' plastic.
I've just remembered, I said I'd post a tutorial or something about moulding canopies and/or parts - I'll get it sorted soon as I can, sorry!

Well, with you making your own Terry, should have remembered that in the first place!... the falcon ones would be a piece of cake then....only ever used a couple myself, no room for error thats for sure!

Thought these may be of use ?

Interesting to note the leading edge of the props and the 'ant-icing rubber' (?) that continues to the tip and over the yellow paint.

If you want the full size shots...if they're any use as the weather was cr*p that day !... drop me a pm with your e-mail and let me know if you're on broadband, and I'll bang 'em off to you later. If any one els wants copies, ditto.

Attachments

• s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 154
  • s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 125
  • s3.jpg
    s3.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 89
  • s4.jpg
    s4.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 102
  • s5.jpg
    s5.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 92
  • s10.jpg
    s10.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 109
  • s9.jpg
    s9.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 103
  • s8.jpg
    s8.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 109
  • s7.jpg
    s7.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 100
  • s6.jpg
    s6.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 124
  • s11.jpg
    s11.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 85
  • s12.jpg
    s12.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 90
Beautiful shots Gary, thanks for posting! They answer a few questions re various details too! (wing panels, wheel detail, etc) :D

About the de-icing strips on the props, these aren't noticable on PS888 (or the BBMF's PM631 for that matter), so I wonder the origin and time of fitting?

I don't think they were originally on the '19's prop Evan. On restored Spits, it will depend where the prop came from. For instance, the BBMF get (or used to ) their props re-built or re-furbished in Germany (!), by Hoffman if my memory serves me. I think that 'extra' bit is actually a thin metal protective strip, over the rubber-skinned wooden prop, which I've seen before on similar units. The original props were Jablo (wood) blades on the Rotol hubs/gears, but it's very possible that some currently airworthy PR19's, and other Spits, now use metal-bladed props. A case of what's available maybe.

Hi guys

I should be at Duxford tomorrow for Spitfire Day. There must be more flying than in latest spiehl...

Display timings:
12 noon - Grace Spitfire IXT
2.00pm Historic Aircraft Collection Spitfire V, Aircraft Restoration Company Spitfire XT, Old Flying Machine Company Spitfire IXT (3 ship)
2.30pm Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Spitfire Solo

...............there's usually a dozen or so. If there's any static shots anybody would like me to try and nab, then
let me know. I'll check in here tomorrow morning.

Jon. Yep Gary, your shots are great

On Evan's behalf Jon, I'd say, if there's one of the '19's there, on the deck, try to get shots of the upper wing surfaces, the small pressurisation intake on the side of the cowling, and the rear of the fuel pump blisters, under the wings, just in front of the wheel wells. The last one's a tall order, but I thought I'd ask anyway!
Hope yopu have a great day mate.
Cheers,
Terry.

Terry, thanks a million mate! Jon, yep, I'd really appreciate any of those shots Terry mentioned if you could manage them! :D

Have a great day (ya lucky bugger!) :)

Sorry Evan

Only four of the five expected Spits were on the deck. Sod's law - BBMF was of course PS915. Came out of nowhere and roared down the flightline, retreated to an annoying distance for 'batics show then sodded off.

As a consolation photo, here's our local hero Charlie Brown - Spitfire pilot and moustache wearing champion!

Tally ho, Jon

Attachments

• Charlie.jpg
    Charlie.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 104
Cheers Jon! Better Charlie Brown than P.O. Prune! :)

Shame PS915 wasn't on the deck, but I hope the display was good atleast!

Evan

Last edited:
Ordered the Jay's models (ex Ventura) Spitfire PR.XIX Jon mentioned (thanks a million mate!)
Still plan to do the conversion from the Fujimi Mk.XIVe aswell - George will get the one that comes out best.

Jay's models also do a seperate decal sheet for PS888, but I didn't order it, as it's missing the underwing code letters, and the 'The Last!' hand painting. The kit decals are apparently correct though (thanks to Brian Rose for correcting).

Expected to arrive in about 28 days, so hope to begin mid- September, depending on when we move overseas.

Hi Evan

Decals! Here I am with the decals from my Jays kit (bought last month) and the PS888 separate decal sheet picture downloaded into a window beside this one. There are only two differences from the sheet version:

- Thai version roundels. You don't have to assemble them in the kit sheet. Yippee, I hear you shout!
- 'The Last!' marking IS included.

HOWEVER, there are no under-wing code letters in this kit sheet either.

As you know, Jays bought the moulds etc. from Ventura. The PS888 separate decal sheet is the same as that produced by Ventura. The Jays kit's painting and decal guide (photo as I posted) acknowledges Brian Rose for his help. As you say, Jays produced this modified kit decal sheet as a result. It's my guess that the lack of under-wing letters is correct.

It really is amazing what i will do to avoid doing administrative chores! Cheers, Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back