Spitfire PR.XIX 'The last!'

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Cheers Jon for that!

Good to hear the 'The Last!' marking is included (I didn't notice it on the site's photo - my mistake!).

Unfortunately the underwing codes ARE necessary! They are clearly visible in one of the photos George sent me.
Brian Rose also made a comment to George and Beryl that he corrected the manufacturer's on this point, and attached a photo he took of this area to prove it.
I understood from his comment the manufacturer's had, or were going to correct the sheet accordingly, but if yours came without, then either I misunderstood somehow, or they haven't been corrected yet.

Looking forward to the kit in any case!

Hey Evan, I had thought I might be a little "aht of order" there...... what am I doing trying to correct the guy who's done more research on this plane than any other modeller? Doh! What it was.... I found an old (missing various parts) Ventura PS888 kit on Ebay. Noticed that its decal sheet didn't include "The Last" and was exactly the same as Jays separately available one. "Well methinks "if Brian got 'em to add George's slogan, he'd probably have asked for any underwing markings too".

When you do receive your PS888 from Jays, you can have fun emailing John Stone and telling him you're disappointed that the underwing markings aren't included! I hope you bought it direct from them. John just had his annual "sale" on Ebay and it turned out to be an "auction" - all the bidding items going for way over the Jays own price. Ooh look, as I write, somebody in Oz is offering a couple of Jays £10.70 kits at £15.85 or more.

Watch out for overpriced kits, guys. Even better, try a couple at the right price. If you're impressed, we could ask somebody like Hannants to get em in? Better all round.

OK, enough meaningful talk. Here for your entertainment is another version of PS888. Yes, looks like it has underwing markings, but the PRU blue appears to have had a light dusting with monastial green. As for the spinner: you probably don't even want to go there!

Cheers, Jon

Attachments

• Green888.jpg
    Green888.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Jon, not at all mate! I'm still learning about her myself, so please chip in with anything you find out!

I ordered my kit direct from the company luckily on the llink you gave me (thanks again for that!).
Funnily enough, when I ordered I first got the e-mail confirming the order, then another saying they had done well on e-bay and were offering another sale. I didn't have a clue what to make of that (I wouldn't trust E-bay as far as I could kick it), so thanks for the explanation and warning there!

Interesting profile, don't know on what info they based it on though (I have a similar, but again slightly different scheme in a book). I'll have to ask George if she was repainted at some stage.

I've seen a spinner scheme like that before somewhere too...on a Seafire 47 I think (?)

Cheers!

Evan

Well, the Jay's Models Spit XIX turned up today!
Unfortunately seems to have the early decal sheet and instructions, like Jon's. A scan of the revised instructions sent by Brian Rose shows the registrations in place.
I think I'll write to the company about it, as not only are the underwing serials missing, but the squadron crest below the canopy was forgotten aswell, and the blue of the roundels is too faint. Don't mean to knock my fellow kiwis, but if you're gonna do it, do it right!

Will post pics of the kit itself tomorrow if I can.

Yes, me too.

Evan, I will be interested to see what you received. I'd be particularly interested to see a pic of what's on your decal sheet. Let me know what response you get out of John Stone. I have to email him sometime to get the canopies missing from MY kit! then i can kill two birds with one stone (ha!).

It all sounds a bit sloppy, but I think he's working hard to maintain and improve the quality of the original Ventura kits as they are released. The Mk.22 and the Pr.XIX are the latest and there will be more to come. This link will take you to an old list I found of Ventura Spits etc.

http://www.venturapublications.com/images/Ventura_prices.pdf

Worth keeping track of news, methinks. Meanwhile, I'm knocking off the Airfix XIX in my usual flying-displayed mode as a quick Swede. A far simpler approach than your Thai version, Con. You're right, mate this thing fits together like a dream. The Kiwi PS888 is gonna have to have a lot more thoughtful treatment in due course!

Jon

Sorry for the delay guys...been caught up a bit. Ivett is my computer expert, so I'll try and post the pics when she gets home.

Re the revised instructions, in Brian Rose' words:
'The painting guides were no trouble. They originally had incorrect instructions, so I have updated their information.
Kit manufacturer's omit the underwing serials, perhaps because I am the only person with a photo showing these - I TOOK IT.'

I agree kiwi kit manufacturer's don't operate to the budget of the big model companies, and do a damn fine job considering.
The beautiful Falcon vacform canopies and accessories were originally produced in owner Tore Martin's garage (also sold with Ventura/ now 'Jay's Model's' kits, and under the 'Squadron Crystal clear' brand name), and the Ventura Spitfire moulds are considered the most accurate in shape and scale. These are let down only in the thickness of the mouldings, and possibly the lack of internal detail, as you'll see soon in the pics.
When it comes to decals though, I don't see that it would cost more to print a sheet accurately as opposed to not. Many kit manufacturers (incl. Airfix and Italeri, among others) need to pay more attention in this area IMO, there's no excuse for it.

Jon, if you get no joy with the canopies, you can have one of mine. 2 are provided in the kit.
I'll try to write John Stone tonight about the decals, will let you know what the guts is.

Evan

Last edited:
After my interesting experience with the Airfix XIX (which ended up Model Alliance-decalled Thai plane after some soul searching about underwing serial numbers, roundel sizes, spinner colours and a definite step in the direction of rivet-counting) I caught uo with this thread with interest. I have three more Airfix XIXs in the ever-growing Spit stash which I think will end up two RAF and one Swedish.

I mentioned this elsewhere (and Evan knows about it), this months Military Aircraft magazine is a goldmine of source material for anyone fancying a crack at the XIX.

Can't wait to see a faithful reproduction of "The Last" in all its glory!

The Gauntlet has been thrown...am I skilled enough to pick it up? :) :)
If she comes out anywhere near as good as yours Tony, I'll be very happy!

I've seen those decals on the net btw - are they as good as they look?

(Still no pics up either yet sorry, hope to get onto that tomorrow)

Hmmmm... I'd be interested to see that magazine too, Con. Is it the September issue which contains the article?

Well Evan, after the extensive work with your personal research team Con's gauntlet is definitely yours. No way am I going to Seletar with my Jays "The Last" for some time yet!

I have "knocked off" the Airfix in the Swedish trim: the combination of blue/greys, yellow and a crimson spinner makes it a bit of a looker. I say "knocked off" , but all this exposure to the work of you more experienced modellers has got me doing things like stretching camera glass with Clearfix and (a first) hand-painting a canopy structure. Strange days indeed in the artist's studio.

Great to hear your progress Jon! Any chance of seeing pics? (...says me who dosen't know how to transfer them form the camera to the laptop! Ivett has been busy btw, so just waiting for her to ifnd the time to help me post my own pics)

Contacted John Stone too, btw. It seems the information was indeed updated, but the decal sheet as supplied is still based on the original ventura offering. I'll PM you Jon with the full reply.

I've seen those decals on the net btw - are they as good as they look?

Personally I think they're very good, no problems at all putting them on (but then half a dozen roundels and a couple of fion flashes shouldn't really be a huge challenge!).

These are the options that the sheet covers:

photoreconspits.jpg

The ones with the pink stars are the ones I will do (sooner or later). There's a bit of either/orism about it in that e.g. you can't do both the ones on the bottom right because there's only one pair of fin flashes in that size. By contrast I got an AeroMaster sheet for American Spits which says four planes and means four planes - four sets of stencils, the lot. Very minor quibble though and MA sheets offer some very interesting possibilities.

Well here goes...if this succeeds, there should be photos of the Jay's Models 1:72 Spitfire PR.XIX kit.

Attachments

• STA51412.JPG
    STA51412.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 95
Succeeded! Here's the kit in detail then...

Attachments

• STA51408.JPG
    STA51408.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 105
  • STA51409.JPG
    STA51409.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 103
  • STA51410.JPG
    STA51410.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 103
  • STA51411.JPG
    STA51411.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 99
  • STA51407.JPG
    STA51407.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 103
Evan - how are you going to do the underwing serial numbers then?
(There's always the Thai escape route! :twisted::lol: - but then you would be a pair of underwing roundels short?)

Cheers guys! :lol:

Yep, she's not to the Tamigawa level of moulding, but she is by read accounts spot on in shape and size, how often can the big branders say that! :)
The panel lines are engraved 'to scale' too..!

Tony, I'm thinking of making a stencil for the underwing serials...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back