Spitfire PR.XIX 'The last!'

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Me too, Evan......... looking forward to following your example in how to tackle what is quite a demanding model for a novice like me!

I have a slightly off-topic question for you, but it may be of interest to other Spit fiends. About a couple of weeks back, you mentioned that you were also planning to do the Fujimi XIX conversion from their Mk.XIVe. Do you have a source for deleted Fuji Spitfire kits? I want to get hold of one of their other Mk.14 kits.

Jon

Yep, she's not to the Tamigawa level of moulding, but she is by read accounts spot on in shape and size, how often can the big branders say that! :)
The panel lines are engraved 'to scale' too..!

Sorry to keep dragging your post OT :oops:... are these Jays kits pretty good then? I have ordered a couple of Seafires, they're about the only manufacturer who offer them at 1/72 as far as I can see (and a good range at that). They are coming from NZ so I won't see them for a while yet.

Thanks for the comments guys! :D

Hopefully I'll do a good job with her, and not just show you 'how to stuff up a nice kit' ! :)

Jon, I got three of the Fujimi kits by chance at a retail outlet, they were 'random stock' that had turned up. I didn't waste the opportunity! The best bet is probably to search the net, as Tony (Conkerking) suggested.
(What type of Mk.XIV are you after by the way? High back or low back?)

Tony, all I can say at the moment is the kit looks good to me (and I'm very particular, it has to be said. I like things to be accurate...). How she goes construction-wise I'll soon find out!

Hi Evan, Tony and friends

We are indeed heading towards another thread here..... it's sounding like "1/72 Spitfire kits: where to get 'em and what we do with 'em". Anyway Evan(grin) you did ask......

The Fujimi I have an eye open for is the low-back F.R.Mk.14E "Fighter Recon" and to do it with clipped wings. Will go nicely with what I already have. As you say, these things do sometimes turn up and I'll be looking over the stalls at Duxford this Saturday. I got an old Pegasus Mk.22 last time.

Tony, yes I too go eBaying and am aware of "Mr Taiwan". I'm currently thinking budget so am looking more locally for the moment, but a favourable report on him may sway me if I ain't succeeded. eBay can hold nice surprises... In the last month I've picked up a Fujimi XIX for a fiver and an Edouard Mk.21 for £6.50. You experienced guys make me even more paranoid about building the latter than The Jays Last!

Jon

Ive got 2 Fujimi Mk.XIVe's and the FR.XIVe you're after,Jon.
I do really like it, but could be tempted to part with it for an accurate Seafire XV...

Ooh look, as I write, somebody in Oz is offering a couple of Jays £10.70 kits at £15.85 or more.

Watch out for overpriced kits, guys. Even better, try a couple at the right price. If you're impressed, we could ask somebody like Hannants to get em in? Better all round.

That's funny! I got involved in a bidding war on ebay the other night for two Jays Seafires... got outbid, they went for £14 and £13. Then I found the Jays website and got both for £10.27 each, with a very reasonable postage rate. Payment by Paypal, Robert's your mother's brother!

These are the three Fujimi Mk XIV's I have inbound - top and bottom from Mr. Taiwan (fingers crossed) and middle one from a UK seller whi has confirmed despatch.

fujimi_spitfire_series.jpg

My wife thinks I am actually going insane... :rolleyes:

It suprised the hell out of us that some of the kits went for more than this.

John - for my part at least I can say it's great that you're there to make this contribution. I think the statement above can only serve as some kind of endoresement of the quality of the work you're doing, right? I'm only a beginner but I can't wait to see the two Seafires I ordered - you guys seem to be one of the manufacturers offering imaginative takes on the Spitfire story (as opposed the the I/II - V - IX treadmill) and that's great to see. Personally I like to support small "boutique" companies who are having a crack with a bit of flair and imagination (completely OT see Korsbek Watch Company - my favourite wristwatch manufacturer) and I hope to become a regular customer and a supporter of your brand.

All the best with your venture

Tony

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks John! Great to see you here too! :D

As buyers, most of us are unaware of what goes on behind the scenes in the manufacture of kits - we just see the end product -, so thanks for the explanation and insight into the process!

From your e-mail reply to me, I know how accurate you want the kits to be too, so I hope you didn't take offence at my comments!

Thanks again, and hope to see you here often!

Evan

(Clashed with you, Tony! The gauntlet hasn't just been thrown, but it's heavier too! :) )

Two days away from here... leads to about three replies!

Tony....... you are damn right about the September issue of Military Aircraft mag's piece on Pr.XIX roundels, letters and paint jobs. Extremely detailed on that front and historically comprehensive - Evan you will either eat it up or write the next version!

I too was surprised by the take-up on John's Ebay sale. A good result on the "Buy Now" items, but a bit disappointing on the auction ones? I wondered though who was bidding on the two Seafires, Tony. I was the guy who raised the Spitfire 22 to a sensible price before opting for a future shop purchase.......

..... so I helped a bit there John. I hope that the overall sale outcome was worthwhile for you. It's very good to hear from you and that you're finding the forum feedback useful. Gentlemen, I would reiterate my suggestion of several pages back. When a few of us have built John's goodies, we should give Hannants a shove to stock 'em. After all, they stock more Spit kits then anybody else... and the overall quality could be raised.

John, you'll know that in July I bought from you Spits Aussie VIII, Captured Luftwaffe markings Pr.XI and the Pr.XIX. Hadn't had time to get stuck into the kits and I only just noticed the missing Pr.XIX canopies and posted on here the other day. I was going to ask you to shove 'em in the box if I won the sale Mk.22! I will double-check all three kits and drop you an email soon. By the way, I DID make time to have fun using the red stars off the Pr.XI to do a Russian Pr.IV. I opted for a very dark green throughout with a white spinner.

Evan, I too have been thinking about this 'ere Fujimi Fr XIVe barter. Would you believe it, I experienced a near miss with a Seafire XV on a models stall at Duxford today, but in your best interests decided to not collide. I'll email you. Red Arrows' commentator had a laugh over their new young pilot from NZ. Said he was fluent in Kiwi and Australian, but in-flight communications would remain a problem until his English improved. Sorry!

Jon

P.S. If you don't know this already guys, be wary of ordering more than one kit at a time from places outside the Europe. If the value of the contents plus any perceived import VAT (of which there shouldn't be any) exceeds £18, our dear friends at Royal Mail will impose a £8 "handling charge". Alternatively, be reckless ..... order three or four at once and spread the cost!

Wow Jon, you did a PR.IV?! Have been thinking of doing one myself... does somebody do a kit or did you convert a Mk.V as I was planning?

..And as for the 'English English', I can imagine there'd be problems...

Lead pilot: "Smoke on...GO!"

Kiwi pilot: "Yeah, righto' mate, hang on a tick! Still tryin'a find the flamin' button - few more than our Cessnas, eh? Hey, no worries! I'll light a ciggy and chuck it in the jet stream!" :) :)

I punted an e-mail to Hannants to see if they would consider stocking Jays for distribution in the UK, response:

Hi Tony,

I'm sorry but I have never heard of them or been contacted by them.

If they contact us we will consider it.

Regards

Well there you go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back