Spitfire PR.XIX 'The last!' (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi John. A bit unusual you haven't at least had an acknowledgement from Hannant's. They're normally very good at PR etc. However, I did see something on their fortnightly e-mail updates about delays. There was a bereavement I believe, which closed the place for a day, and I think something else, maybe auditing, or a major trade show. If you don't get a response, it might be worth just giving them a nudge; they might have overlooked your e-mail, not got around to it yet, or maybe not even received it. Worth a try mate.

Not much of late mate (sorry!), been caught up with other things.

So far, the heavy mould runs on the inside of the wings have been ground out, and are almost completely sanded smooth. Last progress made was doing same with the cockpit (starboard side almost finished), so I'll have a clean canvas to work with for the detailing.

If I can remember how to do it, I'll get some pics up here shortly...

Btw Tony, how do you find working multiple kits at once?

Well, look forward to progress on "The Last" in the fullness of time.

Multiple kits - well it works, in the sense that there's always something to be getting on with (e.g. while paint is drying), however it means that weeks can go by without a kit being completed... then they come along in batches, like double-decker busses. Maybe I should stagger them, so I'm working on different stages of different planes, just to add a bit of variety to the production line.

Greetings, gents:

I have a friend in Ohio that just bought the Airfix PR XIX. He told me via e-mail that the level of detail is great..... this one is a whole new retooling by Airfix, and it's one of their best offerings to date. Can't wait till he builds it, and I told him all about this great Forum and the knowlegeable people who populate it.

G'day mate, and welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the heads up on that kit - Tony (Conkerking) got one and did a fantastic job of it (PS888 in Thai markings). Check it out on his '1/72 Airfix Spitfire PR XIX and Seafire side-by-side build' thread!

Evan

Oh, you're too kind... :lol: after their excellent article on XIX markings recently, Military Aircraft Monthly now has a great write-up on the Airfix kit. Fuselage roundels too big, ha ha ha.
Also Evan it might interest you to know that that on the letters page somebodyis disputing the presence of "The Last" on the nose on an "I was there" basis... maybe your uncle know him! I'll scan it and e-mail.

Yes, the Airfix is nicely tooled and fits together a treat. After the roundel comments etc. the other month, I decided to go for the Swedish option. Here it is.

I'm saving "The Last" for the Jays kit..... a Kiwi model in honour of our Kiwi researcher!

Attachments

• SwedeXIX.jpg
    SwedeXIX.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 87
Great job Jon, she looks sweet! :D

Tony, I'd be interested to read that letter, especially as I have a photo of George painting the words on the aircraft! :)

Greetings everyone. It's John from Jays of NZ. I've been away for a while ever since the admin of the forum kicked me off. I was accused of being a sneaky spammer! I'm not sure what they were peed of about the most, the inclusion of our website address in my posts or the use of our company logo as my avatar. I did email them and asked for an explanation, but they never bothered to reply.
Anyhow, if I get kicked off again I won't be bothering to rejoin, I had to create a new email address just to get back on here.

It's gone quite here, where is everyone? How did A4K's Spit 19 go? On our site I have the gallery running in The Hobbyist, it is displaying all the pictures of our kits that modellers have made, and they are some awesome examples out there. If any of you have made any I would love to add them.

I had a request of you all but never got the chance to ask, has anyone got an example of the Sabre conversion kit produced by Ventura? It was the Sabre F-86H, I am after a copy of the instruction sheet that went with it. I am looking to do a production run of 35 but can't do so until I get the instructions. Thanks in advance.

Good to be back and I look forward to chatting with you all once again.

All the best, John.

Can't help with the sabre stuff sorry John, nor update pics...been flat out with other things and work on the spitty on hold.
Progress to date: fueslage halves thinned to scale thickness and insides of wings sanded down.

Hoping to make more progress soon now I've settled into the new job... VERY good decision to move on!

Evan

Change is good. My wife and I are looking at moving on, but it's the uncertainty of finding another secure job which is holding us back.
On the model front I decided to have a go at making one of our kits a few months back. We had some reject mouldings which I thought I could put to good use. The model was to be a Seafire Mk.15A. I felt that if I had a go at building the kit I would get a better understanding of some of modelers comments and reviews about them. All was going quite well until I discovered I had picked up the wrong main wing and had spent the best part of two days preparing, repairing and gluing a set of wings belonging to a Spitfire Mk.VIII to the Seafire fuselage. The first attempt ended up in the bin which is probably where it should have gone in the first place :eek:)
I will have another go soon as I actually found the revisit to my childhood quite enjoyable!

That's a good idea John - if you're selling the products, you especially should have a full knowledge of them, I reckon. look forward to seeing pics of your next attempt!

About the move, I know where you stand. I used to just move on regardless, but am more cautious these days. I had been looking for new work on and off for about a year and a half before this opportunity came up - grabbed it with both hands!!
So far, it's really payed off, hope it remains so!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back