Spitfire PR.XIX 'The last!' (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Heck, it takes some catching up after being away for only one week! From what I've seen and read, John's (Jays) kits look great: accurate and neatly produced, which is more than I can say for quite a number of Spit kits, in 1/72nd and 1/48th scales. I really do admire those who can bite the bullet and start a 'cottage industry' to produce those kits wanted, often by a majority, which aren't touched by the mainstream manufacturers.
It's just a shame that John's offerings aren't in 1/48th - I'd have the lot!
Keep up the great work John, and thanks for taking the time to contribute here on the forum. I think maybe a quick message to Hannant's could possibly secure a beneficial deal?

Well guys, with ALOT of help from George and Beryl, Brian Rose, and our own Terry, Tony and Jon, the build is about ready to commence!
Just have to finish some translation work which is currently occupying my free time, but once that's cleared, we're away! (Hopefully in the weekend)

Looking forward to this Evan :)

Actually having a look at Jays site there kind of tempted by the RAAF MkVIII and the one you're doing Evan...hmmm *opens wallet and moths attack*

:lol:

Thanks Alex, so am I! :D

A big THANKS!!! to everyone for their help and encouragement so far, I really appreciate it!

Re the Spit Mk.VIIIc, I've got the original Ventura boxing of her - if you like the look of the PR.XIX, you won't be disappointed! Well worth it IMO (Mine's going to end up as a 485 (NZ) Sqn. LF Mk.IXc...)

Evan if you're doing thesuper-detail thing, I have some good colour close up photography of various pits of the XIX (cockpit etc.) that I could scan and e-mail you - maybe you have that but licked but if useful let me know.

Mate, that would be fantastic if it's no trouble, thanks! :D

I've received some great info from Terry showing various cockpit details, which I'll be using in conjunction with the IPMS Stockhom site on the Swedish S.31, but the more angles covered the better!

Have only been able to briefly glance over the kit parts so far, the translation work is taking a long time.
First looks show that she's as John Stone said, though - a kit for experienced modellers. Main wheels will need replacing (moulded out of alignment), and many parts will need a lot of thinning, most noticably the cockpit walls, interior of the mainplanes, and underwing radiators. The air intake will need hollowing out, and the prop assembly is 'interesting' with no way to mount it short of gluing it straight to the cowlings.(I'm going to improvise a mounting for this, so the prop will be removable).
As with the Mk.VIII kit, the instrument panel assembly shows it's Airfix/ Heller Spitfire Mk.1 origins.

Should be alot of fun though, not just your usual 'slap together and paint' kit! Keep ya's posted when I can finally start her! :D

... Terry, Johnny Houlton's kite (ML407, OU-V) was an LF.IXe according to my sources, so if I do his, it will be in a seperate conversion. My LF.IXc will probably be F/O Patterson's MK732 OU-Q 'Baby Bea IV', which was recoded and renamed OU-U 'Baby Bea V' after invasion bands were applied. (Plan to hopefully enter the D- Day group build with this one)

Last edited:
I think you're probably right Evan, I'd have to check his book, and the serials listings to verify though. Talking of which, have you got, or read, his book 'Spitfire Strikes' ? It's an excellent read - if you haven't got/read it, you can borrow my copy if you wish.

Have only been able to briefly glance over the kit parts so far, the translation work is taking a long time.
First looks show that she's as John Stone said, though - a kit for experienced modellers. Main wheels will need replacing (moulded out of alignment), and many parts will need a lot of thinning, most noticably the cockpit walls, interior of the mainplanes, and underwing radiators. The air intake will need hollowing out, and the prop assembly is 'interesting' with no way to mount it short of gluing it straight to the cowlings.(I'm going to improvise a mounting for this, so the prop will be removable).
As with the Mk.VIII kit, the instrument panel assembly shows it's Airfix/ Heller Spitfire Mk.1 origins.

Speaking as one of the "slap together and paint" brotherhood :lol: I can see this is going to be a seeeerious project... looking forward to being along for the ride!

Thanks mate! :) (No offence intended to 'out of box' builders, btw!!)

Terry, that would be great mate, thanks! I haven't read his book...
I'm still here at the moment (survived this round of lay-offs), so the address is still good, if it's really no trouble!

(No offence intended to 'out of box' builders, btw!!)

Oi! I have been known to use aftermarket decals... and after grafting a chunk of an Airfix PR XIX into the belly of an MPM PR XI as emergency surgery following my bollocksing up drilling the camera ports I now consider myself a master builder! :rolleyes::lol:

And with 100 posts under my belt I am now a "Senior Member". BWAAAAAH-HA-HA-HA-HA-HAAAA!

(God they'll let anyone in round here...!)

Leave it with me Evan, and I'll get it off to you later this week, with the two Falklands books, all being well. I suppose you know his Spit is still flying? It's the one the late Nick Grace converted to a 2-seater, now owned and flown by Caroline Grace, and very nice it is too. Johhny had a flight in it, when he came to the UK a few years back.

Thanks Terry, that would be great! :D

I knew Johnny Houlton's kite was still around, in fact his is one of four ex-No.485 (NZ) Sqn. Spitfires still in existance (all Mk.IXs...):

LF Mk.IXe MH350 OU-V, now at the Norsk Luftfartsmuseum at Bodo, Norway, as FN-T;
LF Mk.IXc MJ143 OU-(?), now at the Militaire Luchtvaart Museum at Soesterberg, Holland, as H-1;
LF Mk.IXc MK732 OU-Q, later OU-U, now based at Gilze Rijen, Holland, as 3W-17; and
LF Mk.IXe ML407 OU-V (Johnny Johnson's), now based at Duxford, England, in original codes.

Interesting that all aircraft served with other RAF squadrons and other Air Forces aswell!

Re the XIX build, got some GREAT info today from Tony (thanks again, mate! :D) - fills in all the last gaps!!!
(I'll forward it to you aswell Terry and Jon, you'll definitely want to see it..!)

Congratulations on the 100 posts btw, Tony! :D Strange..I thought most spammers were usually dealt with fairly quickly..?! :) :) :)

These are the three Fujimi Mk XIV's I have inbound - top and bottom from Mr. Taiwan (fingers crossed) and middle one from a UK seller whi has confirmed despatch.

fujimi_spitfire_series.jpg

OT: Mr. Taiwan came good - the 2 x Fujimi Mk XIV's arrived today, very pleased!

Great scores Tony!

Was considering converting their 'After D-day' Mk.XIVe to a PR.XIX as you know, but figure it's better to concentrate on one at a time...?

Started PS888 two days ago. Going completely against tradition, started on the wings(!) -pics over the weekend of progress so far and summary...

Tony...:)

Bit off the radar at the moment, sorry. Got a few things to deal with.
Will be back in touch soon hopefully once I get my head together.

Evan - don't you just hate it when real life gets in the way of sticking silly plastic aeroplanes together?
Hope all is OK with you mate.

Thanks mate! :lol:

I'm (sort of) back... not the man I was, that's for sure, but it seems he had to drastically change.
'Off with the old, on with the new...'

Keep yas posted on the Spit when I get back to her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back