Stuka Dive Flaps

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Robert Porter

Senior Master Sergeant
I am building a 1:48 Stuka kit from Revel. The questions I have are several. First I have included a reference picture. If you look between the various trailing slats or flaps you will see daylight between each segment. This is what I would have thought. The kit came with plastic not flash between each one. I have been removing it. But my question is were there attachment points right on the ends of the flaps?

The last question is does anyone have any idea what the color scheme on the reference plane is? It looks odd?
IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0309.jpg
IMG_0312.jpg
IMG_0310.jpg
IMG_0308.jpg
IMG_0311.jpg

Here are some details at the points in question:
Ju87 1.JPG
Ju87 3.JPG
Ju87 4.JPG
JU87 5.JPG

As to the colour scheme, I would bet that it's the standard 70/71/65. The underside is quite streaked with dirt, oil, etc and that may be what's making you think it's non standard.

EDIT: Also, these aren't "dive" flaps. The outer segments are the ailerons and the inner two are landing/takeoff flaps. The latter are segmented because of the cranked wing.

Thanks my concern was that the kit did not correctly represent the presence of those gaps so I have been removing plastic. The reference photo I included does not appear to be the standard splinter scheme hence my question on that. It is also apparent from the replies that some of the actuators and hinges are misplaced on the kit so I will work on fixing those as well.

It's a safe bet to conclude 70/71 splinter scheme given that what little of the upper camo that can be seen in your pic is dark and this was the standard factory finish of all Ju87s.

It's a safe bet to conclude 70/71 splinter scheme given that what little of the upper camo that can be seen in your pic is dark and this was the standard factory finish of all Ju87s.

Agree. Variations (winter or tropical being best examples) were invariably applied, post production, over that factory scheme.
Cheers
Steve

Mine is the G-1 version. And that pics caption was from the Eastern front so I am assuming it had winter camo over the splinter scheme, but notice the wheel covers and the canon. The paint on those does not look like that which was normally applied. From various sources, late war Stuka's wore whatever paint was available, especially on the Eastern front as paint was a low priority supply item.

I see. But the one in the pic you posted is the G-2 kite. As far as the camo is concerned I agree it is quite worn RLM70/71/65 one. What is more the camo appearance in the shot was caused by the light trick.

Last edited:
I was hoping someone would explain it. The color scheme that is, thanks! No what is the difference between the G-1 and G-2? Visually I am having a hard time distinguishing between them. Is there an easy "tell" as to which one you are looking at?

No what is the difference between the G-1 and G-2? Visually I am having a hard time distinguishing between them. Is there an easy "tell" as to which one you are looking at?

It is quite easy to tell the difference. As Geo's post says the G-1 based on the D-3 version while the G-2 on the D-5. The main detail of their appearances is the wing. The D-3/G-1 had the wing of the same shape and the same wingspan as the B-2 had. The D-5/G-2 got the wing of larger wingspan at about 1,2m. It resulted in new wing tips that became more peaked. Also please look at the ailerons. G-2 ( D-5 ) got them longer with one hinge added more as memo serves.. The G-1 wing still was having the fairings for the MG-17 guns used for the D-3 , but not mounted or just removed for the variant , at the leading edge of the wings. The G-2 one didn't have them because the D-5 was armed with MG-151s and the early fairings there were removed. However the G-2 didn't have the MG-151 gun mounted there or these were dismounted too.

G-1_G-2.jpg

Last edited:
And here two images of the Ju-87G in the winter camo. Please notice the differences in the wing tips and the wing gun fairing ...

The G-1...

Junkers Ju-87G-1_a.jpg

The G-2 ...

Junkers_Ju_87_G-2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back