Stuka Mistel

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks mate. I was going to pull it off and reglue it, but I can't be bothered. Here are the completed kit photos. Note the missing Bf 109 canopy, an offering to the carpet monster I'm afraid.

So the story is that after the Allied operations in North Africa and the defeat of the Afrika Corps in 1943, units of the Luftwaffe in Libya scrambling to come to terms with the evolving situation draw up a last ditch attempt at striking a blow against the British by attempting to sink an aircraft carrier. The aircraft to be used are an old Regia Aeronautica Ju 87R that was left behind by the retreating Italians and attach it to a Bf 109E that's a little long in the tooth. The Mistel concept was a quick and easy solution using resources that are expendable, although they do want the poor Bf 109 pilot to get back. Radios, armament and other unnecessary items were removed from the Stuka to save weight and Luftwaffe markings were applied so as not to confuse any observers as to whom is responsible, but unit markings for both aircraft were removed. A standard SC250 HE bomb was carried on the sling under the Stuka, to which the ground crews wrote messages, such as "Fur Illustrious" and "Picciatello!", which translates as 'Crazy Diver' in Italian, and its tanks were filled to the brim.

50060474676_103d8783d2_b.jpg
Stuka Mistel iiiiiii

50060474701_a8732b174a_b.jpg
Stuka Mistel iiiiii

50060720177_080e596c23_b.jpg
Stuka Mistel iiiii

Synopsis on the build. As mentioned already, both were kits were showing their age and I sanded the raised detail off. I drew panel lines on with a pencil and because both were a bit run down, gave both exaggerated weathering effect, including a dark wash. The decals come from different places - the Picciatello decals came with the Stuka kit and the top wing crosses, Bf 109 underside crosses and Stuka Swastikas come from a 1/48 scale Me 163 and the Bf 109 decals came from a long gone Hasegawa Bf 109G. I'm surprised they registered at all since they are over 30 years old!

This is/these are the first models I've built in ages and I had a bit of fun coming up with the idea. I've got a few more lying around, and it'll depend on what I come up with as to when I finish them. The allure of a de Havilland Mosquito night fighter with a gun turret is looking appealing right now!

Thanks everyone. Not being a model builder, unlike you guys, whose abilities I marvel at, my technique hasn't gone much beyond what I was doing as a teenager 30 years ago!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back