Submarine hunters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

according to one source, and of course there are many

total number of U-boots was 1150 of which 781 were lost, 213 were scuttled at wars end and another 154 surrenderd. U-boot personell was roughly 40,000 men with losses of 28,000 KIA and saome 5,000 POW.

U-boots sunk some 2603 Merchant ships and 175 Warships and Auxillaries

Atlantis captured vital information too, regarding the positions of the Royal Navy and ground forces in the Pacific. Atlantis hunting ground was South Atlantic and Indian Ocean.

speaking of German Aux. raiders, here is a very rare shot of the Orions Kapitän

Attachments

• e5_12_s.jpg
    e5_12_s.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 541
Yep, that was it, the Orion....I've read about it's mission somewhere....[If I can just remember where, now....]

- I will have to wait and see what develops with this TV programme....

Good pics there, guys.......

redcoat said:
mosquitoman said:
It may havew been put earlier but the Germans called the Sunderland "The Flying Hedgehog" because it could defend itself well. l
In one incident a RAAF Sunderland was attacked by 8 Ju88 fighter-bombers, it drove them off after shooting down two of them, with another crash landing on its return to base.

Could you get me a pic??

Awesome...thank you for that, Erich, I will chase that up.....
Oddly enough, Turakina is a little township about 15 km from my hometown, and I've read mention many times on the Rangitane, used as a troop/merchant ship from down here....
I take it that that's a Kreigsmarine badge you've posted....they were right-into the 'Viking' thing, eh?.....I have Gerald Reitlinger's ''The SS - Alibi of a nation 1922-1945'', which details particuarly Himmler's facsination with the Norse Legends and Aryan beliefs, which came through in alot of German badges and motifs/logos....Many folk are quite taken with them and one can see what a draw-card they must have been in the early days of the Reich, to help foster the patriotism of the people........

There is a way to get a picture of ''8 Ju-88's attacking a Sunderland''....this is the work that's done by Aviation Artists.........
- Robert Taylor's ''Caught on the Surface'' painting is probably the best action Sunderland one I've seen, which was specially commissioned to aid the preservation of Sunderland U-461 [the sub in the painting] artefacts, which reside now in the Australian War Memorial, in Canberra. It's a very accurate painting of an action in July 1943 when Sunderland 'U' of 461 Sqn. caught 3 U-boats on the surface in the Bay of Biscay, sinking one from just 50 ft, using it to sheild itself from the fire of the two other U-boats......it's hailed as the ''greatest Air/U-boat battle of WWII'', but perhaps ''8 attacking Ju-88's'' must also fit in there somewhere too....It requires alot of research and crew-survivors memories to put paintings like such together, usually......I think you can view Robert Taylor's painting at www.aviationart.com.au ...........

Attachments

• raf_487__nz__sqn._-_on_the_hunt..._208.jpg
    raf_487__nz__sqn._-_on_the_hunt..._208.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 445
Gem I ordered the book from Merriam press today. the badge I presented was the standard issue Aux Kreuzer badge to all personell aborad the disquised merchant raiders. The commanders of the ships depending on the amount of toll taken receved the bade altered with diamonds presented in the swastika if I remember correctly. The Atlantis ship CO Rogge comes to mind. Enjoy the book I will and there is another one I want to find and I think it can be picked up through Amazon, covering all the KM Merchant Kreuzers during the war. will post that laer once I find where I put the title....

E `

That's great, Erich...Von Lucknow captained the raider that sank the Rangitane, just 300 miles north of New Zealand, around May 1941...caused a stir down here, a book I'm currently reading, of a Kiwi who became Bomb-Leader of RAF 75 [NZ] Sqn. mentions it as he heads off to Canada on the RMS Awatea for aircrew training....Von Lucknow seemed to have quite a 'field-day' down here raiding....gotta get that book, eh ?......

Gemhorse

Leigh Light equipped Wellingtons stopped nearly all night-time passage through the Bay of Biscay. The Leigh Light was a 16" naval searchlight that was switched on and aimed at the surface contact the aircraft had. This made it easy for the aircraft to fly down the beam of light and depth charge the U-Boat. Other planes were fitted with this later on but the Wellington pioneered this

thanks friend, think it will be on my shopping list soon. aslo keep us posted on that "missing" U-boot. do you have the number of the boot ? would be a kick to do a little research on Kommandeur and crew....

E

Dear friends: As all you seen in my counter post, its my second in this Forums. In my first, my presentation, I explain the motifs of this joint

Erich and me coincided in another Forums as WW2F or WWII_Talk :p

I research more dates of my investigation with the help of Internet spreadsheets, documents, datebases,.......

I found by a search machine this document in PDF format. I hope it is in your interest:
Appendix 3 - Submarines Sunk by Patrol Aircraft (USA) During World War II

Excuse me if my English isn't well :oops:

Jan.

How fortuitous that this old thread has been resurrected.

A good friend's dad recently passed away. The man was a bombardier aboard a PB4Y-1 (USN version of the B-24 Liberator). He was a member of VP103, which was a part of FAW-7. I have been researching the unit's history and have found that a LOT of the planes were damaged and/or shot down by U-Boat flak.

Here is a pic of his aircraft:

http://www.vpnavy.com/pb4y/vp103pb4y_01_14jul2006.jpg

It is an actual pic of his plane. My friend has found a pic that his dad took of the same plane (B-14).

tom

Dear friends:

Excuse me if that question are explained in other place of this Forum.

I read in a site web very famous, Tecnical Pages of U-Boat.net, The Deck guns this hit:
Sometimes the gun was used to shell shore-based targets like in the Caribbean where they fired at various installations like oil storage's and alike or in the Northern Sea where they damaged some radio stations. An excellent hit was landed by U-242 on 10 Oct, 1944 when it shot down a Russian aircraft with her 8,8cm deck gun!

Do all you says me about this amazing fact :shock: ?

Jan.

I recommend a read of Norman Frank's book, Erich, his research is so very highly rated....he even comments on Herbert Werner, commander of U-415 of ''Iron Coffins'' fame, that his memory was possibly faulty in some of his accounts.......

Interesting to read about the 'Iron Coffins' I still have it in paperback - 2nd printing 1972 cost then - £0.40!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back