Sunderland vs. eight Ju 88's (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have a lot of stories here's a few...

On November 26,1943 Lt. Charles W. Spencer at the foward gun of a B=17 named "Star Dust". Shells from head on enemy attacks shattered the Plexiglass nose and killed the crews navigator Lt. Harold J Rocketto. Badly cut in the face and removed from the nose by the crews engineer Sgt.Grover C Mullins, Lt SPencer returned to man his battle station despite freezing air at a temperature of -60C blasting through the compartment at over 125 mph. Horribly injured by frostbite in these terrible conditions. Spencer was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for his actions.

January 29, 1944

Rawlings: We popped out of the clouds nut the clouds were getting to be broken. We were over a fighter field in Florenne which was a big German fighter field. The tail gunner yelled" Oh god, here they come, there taking off!" He counted more than 6 and they were FW-190's. We tried pulling up in the clouds again but the clouds were became more broken. It used to be a 1500 foot layer now it was not even 500 feet. There was lots of Flak bracketing us and the tail gunner yelled "Kick it, Kick it!" There was the constant sound of crap hitting the airplane. We were taking 20 mm shells from an Me-210 who hadnt even gotten his landing gear up yet. Now both enginers on the right sode were out I was trying to use the rudder but I realized the rudder was knocked out. Then our No.4 engine went out. I made the choice and rang the alarm bell. The rest of the crew bailed out and became POW for the rest of the war

From "Half a wing,Three engines and a prayer. "

Hans J. Jabs - 110 nightfighter ace, caught in the daylight by six Spitfires, he bagged two and then made a quick landing.

On 29 April 1944 his BF 110-G night fighter was caught on a daylight air test by a flight of 6 Spitfires from No. 132 Squadron RAF, led by 15-kill ace Squadron Leader Geoffrey Page. The Spitfires came in at too high a speed and as one Spitfire overshot Jabs shot down the Spitfire flown by P/O R.B. Pullin, which went down in flames and the pilot killed. F/O J.J. Caulton then attacked Jabs head-on, though the heavy forward armament of the 110 took affect and the striken Spitfire glided around and belly-landed onto Deelen Air Base. Jabs then conducted a surprise forced landing, quickly scrambling for cover before his aircraft was destroyed by strafing.

Hans-Joachim Jabs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well, on the night of 15/16 March of 1944 a Lancaster from No. 617 was on a mission to bomb Metz when it was attacked by 3 Me-110 night fighters.

The rear gunner on the Lancaster was Flight Sergent T. J. McLeans, a scot in his second tour who already had five kill to his credit at that point. He was using his favorite mix of 45% tracer and 55% armour piercing instead the regular mix whit would also contain ball and incediary. The Lancaster was hit, but not seriously, and McLeans shot down all the 3 attackers.

Mar 10th
La

Well, on the night of 15/16 March of 1944 a Lancaster from No. 617 was on a mission to bomb Metz when it was attacked by 3 Me-110 night fighters.

The rear gunner on the Lancaster was Flight Sergent T. J. McLeans, a scot in his second tour who already had five kill to his credit at that point. He was using his favorite mix of 45% tracer and 55% armour piercing instead the regular mix whit would also contain ball and incediary. The Lancaster was hit, but not seriously, and McLeans shot down all the 3 attackers.

Mar 10th
La –Ricamarie "St. Etienne" {Gearbox / Needle bearing Factory near Lyon} No moon Factory in steep valley Cheshire tries five runs and on the sxth judges distance noses down over target and drops markers which skid off the factory roof a hundred yards further on. Shannon's markers do same Munroe undershot Arthur Kell new pilot of p-popsie lands markers on roof Cheshire calls bombers onto last marker.
Mar 15th
Woippy {Aero engine factory near Metz} Squadron struggled through 8/10th's Cloud all way but found target 10/10th's On way home Duffey's plane was jumped by three night fighters Two Ju.88's and a FW190 after receiving a round through the hand and suitable cursing for it the rear gunner Mc Lean accounted for both 88's and possibly the FW190.

Mar 16th
Clermont-Ferrand { Michelin Tyre Factory } War cabinet again reminds 617 no French casualties Three workshops destroyed workers canteen unscathed. Munroe McCarthy Shannon Cheshire mark in Lancasters.

Cheshire
" Michelins complexion seems a trifle red"
{P.169 TDB}

Mar 18th
Bergerac { Powderie Nationale } Target clear for once Chesire and Munroe able to mark accurately SABS 5000ft McCarthy and Shannon able to do same on Munitions store nearby. A huge fireball accompanied this raid

Found it in my notes: this raid was notable also for it was only the third time the Squadron used the low level marking. This involved putting the Lancaster into an almost vertical dive over the target from 5000ft or so. This allowed the Bomb aimer to release the markers dive bomber fashion. {Ralph Chochrane C in C 5GRP had expressly forbid this behavior at this time} This Raid occoured the night before the famous Michelin Tyre Factoy raid. Unfortunately can't elaborate more i dont have my books with me.

This is of particular interest to me and have not yet encontered this incident in my readings about this squadron if its possible could you please post the Bibliography from the book you quoted. Cheers

The book in question is "Gret aircraft of WWII" by Alfred Price and Mike Spick. It is a 1997 book, printed in England by Abbeydale Press.

Regards

Thanks heaps for that i'll add it to my biblio and search list. If i can be of any assistance in future to you please let me know.

As a post-war Sunderland Air Signaller I've heard the Boat vs 8 JUs story, but never heard that most of that crew bought it in another 6 JU attack!
Another story is of a Sunderbus ferrying 88(?) escapees from Greece to Egypt. Couldn't take off so they taxied across the Med!
Cheers, Ian/Eddy

I've heard that one too, iang.

Just found this one today....

5 May 1940: A crewmember if a 1(F)./122 He 111 was wounded when the German recon bomber was attacked by 2 Sunderlands near Bodo, Norway.

Another story is of a Sunderbus ferrying 88(?) escapees from Greece to Egypt. Couldn't take off so they taxied across the Med!
Cheers, Ian/Eddy

WOW!

I wonder if they confused the hell out of any U-boat that happened to see them

I agree with this. In addition to Bloody Biscay which details this period from the German side I also have Conflict over the Bay which looks at the same area of conflict from the allied side. Both books say that there were no KG40 losses.

Clearly there was an intense action, The Sunderlands 500+ bullet holes didn't come from nowhere and I believe that its fair to work on the basis that the Germans sufferred some damage if only because there were eight of them and it would be the work of a second to finish the Sunderland off, but no losses.

I used to live about a mile away from their Rochester factory. Sadly all traces seem to have gone quite some time ago

I live in Rochester myself, the site is now a housing development but the tunnels into the cliff behind the factory which were used during WWII still remain.

There is a photo in Edward Jablonski's Airwar of B-25's flying through a formation of Ju-52's over the Med. The B-25's were on a bombing mission and if I recall correctly they engaged the Tante Ju's and shot many of them down.

Great find, Von Frag!

Attachments

• sund.jpg
    sund.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 118

Users who are viewing this thread

Back