Supermodel 1:72 scale Blohm Voss BV 138

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Today I finished up the turrets. I vacu-formed new glazing for them and added a bit more detail, gunners seats, gun sights etc. The fuselage is just about ready to go together. It doesn't fit well so it's going to take a lot of rubber bands !!!

100_0196_zps05bb3020.jpg

100_0200_zps88847415.jpg

Great work mate, and with yas both on the Hakenkreuz thing. Have said this many times on this forum already, but whatever of it's general ill feeling, as a national marking applied to an aircraft it shouldn't be banned from kits. That to me is like banning the fin flash from RAF aircraft for political reasons.

That's all I'll say now, it tends to get people's backs up here. Suffice to say I also have sheets of 1:72, 1:48 and 1:32 Hakenkreuz.

I agree, nicely done.
As for the swastikas - I believe the reason for leaving them out of kits is to prevent their use in 'other' manners. A bit bl**dy pointless when someone who wanted to do that, could purchase an aftermarket sheet containing a whole load of them, for less than the price of a kit which possibly only contains 2 !!

I does seem kind of pointless to ban a symbol that predates the Political party that gave it such notoriety by probably a thousand years ! Sensitivities being what they are I suppose they wanted to distance them selves as much as possible from it. I'm sure this has been discussed to no end ! Back to the bad boy BV 138. Ok...it's warped, not sure if it's the quality or age of the kit but it's warped !!! Both Vertical stabilizers tilt inwards at the top and the port boom looks more like a hockey stick.

100_0205_zpsa8956f45.jpg

I steamed them over a kettle and managed to straighten them out, still, there is a ton of filling and sanding to be done. The engine nacelles are lacking as well so I added a bit of detail including a mesh grill and filled in a big open recess with some styrene sheet.

100_0207_zpsee4aba12.jpg

Port wing looked more like a kids bike banana seat. Sliced it back open and un warped it over the kettle. Still has a bit of a tweak to it but it's barely noticeable. Just about ready for final assembly and paint. The wing floats are done.... well paint wise. A bit more sanding and filling to blend in the glazing over the cockpit which I vacu formed and way easier than that of the BV 141 !!!!!. I think I've gone a bit vacu formed nutz. Did a couple of WWI medals just to see how they turned out...not great. I also decided to scratch up a mule for the beaching gear that comes with the kit and used the mule that came with Airfix's Short Sterling as a template. If every thing pans out time wise I should be down to paint this weekend which is the best part. This kit has been a major cow for stuff fitting true, still it's a great kit and I'm starting to categorize the BV 138 in my coolest planes category. Shame there isn't a complete example any where to be found !!

100_0219_zps3bb5e0ac.jpg

Well yes this is a big sucker ! With my 109 for comparison. I'm down to the paint work finally. I can't think of any kit that took more time in prep work than this one but I'm pleased with how it's coming about. On another note, I was cleaning up some stuff to throw out and I came across a scale modeler magazine (1976) with an article about a scratch built BV 138 and a review of Italaerai's Ju 86 I recently completed. I also found a Vancouver Sun (1969) article on Paul McCartney being dead.

100_0226_zps45c67043.jpg

Great work mate, and interesting article finds! Paul's looking pretty good for a dead man wouldn't you say? :)

A bit later than you Geo, but used to deliver various newspapers and panthlets myself. Was a milkman too for a time - we had permission from the boss/driver to 'milkbottle' any dogs that tried to attack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back