Swedish Air Force 'what ifs'.....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Well, after getting my 1/48 Airfix TSR-2 together with Swedish decals for it, I thought that I'd get some more aircraft for some interesting 'what ifs'....well, not too many! :lol:

First out is the TSR-2 and I'll pick up on the idea where as it says on paper coming with the decals, that the Swedish Air Force bought the rights for licence production and built 64 aircraft, called the SAAB B-55, equipping three Wings.

Second will be the F53 E/E or BAC Lightning, which were bought and built under licence as well, due to opening of four new fighter Wings, each with three Squadrons. 192 aircraft. These would operate together with our J35 Draken fighters. These would be SAAB J36.

E/E Canberra, which were bought and licencensed as a replacement for our retiring J 34 Hawker Hunters. 120 aircraft. This will be the B(I)6 version, with the larger fuel capacity. These would be SAAB B-54.

Blackburn Buccaneer, same again, bought and built under licence replacing our retiring fleet of 405 SAAB 32Lansen, retiring in the late 60's and early 70's.... equipping some coastal and nothern Squadrons. These would be SAAB A-33.

Will also squeeze in an F-18A or B as we looked at those as a replacement for our J 37 Viggen, before we decided to build our own JAS 39 Gripen.

See what happens when you're bored..... :oops: :lol:

Just you wait fellas, I'll find a way to blame Terry for this....:lol:
Just been thinking, as we had 44 S 32 Lansen, which were specialized for maritime and photo reconnaissance, it maybe would be an idea to add a few PR.7's....
Can one kitbash parts from the PR.9 and add them to make a PR.7, as the kit comes with two different camera bays?

ideas and suggestions?

Should be straightforward old boy, all the same basic airframe, just different lumps and bumps!
And don't you go blaming me, especially if you're wearing the blue and yellow tartan of the Ancient Clan Pedersen-Orstrom !!! (saw your post in the mug shots thread!)

Well, think that I just found an answer to my own question here.... Found these at A 2 Zee Models: CANBERRA PR 3 AND PR 7 CONVERSION SET

Canberra PR.3 and PR.7 conversion set

This set comprises the required clear cast parts for the camera areas, the fuselage extension, clear cast canopy and the choice of two clear cast nose cones, a set of camera port blanks are included for various configerations, a set of aerials are also included.

Decals can be found from various sources and quite a few options are available on the Model Alliance sheet MA48127.

The masters and all the research and artwork for the set were done by Alan Southcombe, assisted by Alistair McLean

Attachments

• canberra-pr_3-and-pr_7-conversion-set-4948-p.jpg
    canberra-pr_3-and-pr_7-conversion-set-4948-p.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 250
  • canberra-pr_3-and-pr_7-conversion-set-[2]-4948-p.jpg
    canberra-pr_3-and-pr_7-conversion-set-[2]-4948-p.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 252
As been said, the TSR-2 and the F53 Lightning will be dressed up in the splinter camouflage :oops:, black, brown, darkgreen and lightgreen with blue-grey lower camouflage....not looking forward to it. :lol:

The Buccaneer, here I was thinking of using the same colours, but....instead make an 'experimental' camouflage in 'zebra' style....and except the blue-grey.

The Canberra however.....think that I'll go for an old J 35 Draken style, blue-grey underside and dark olive and dark blue top.

The PR.7 Canberra (If I get one :lol:), I haaaave nooo idea! :lol:

Attachments

• Camouflage Light Green.jpg
    Camouflage Light Green.jpg
    529 bytes · Views: 253
  • Camouflage Dark Green.jpg
    Camouflage Dark Green.jpg
    529 bytes · Views: 255
  • Camouflage Brown.jpg
    Camouflage Brown.jpg
    526 bytes · Views: 251
  • Camouflage Blue-Grey.jpg
    Camouflage Blue-Grey.jpg
    524 bytes · Views: 245
  • Camouflage Black.jpg
    Camouflage Black.jpg
    523 bytes · Views: 253
This was the colours used on the '35 and its camouflage....blue grey, dark blue and dark olive green.

Attachments

• Camouflage Blue-Grey.jpg
    Camouflage Blue-Grey.jpg
    524 bytes · Views: 239
  • Camouflage Dark Blue.jpg
    Camouflage Dark Blue.jpg
    529 bytes · Views: 231
  • Camouflage Dark Olive Green.jpg
    Camouflage Dark Olive Green.jpg
    525 bytes · Views: 233
Got this instead for a PR.7 Canberra, the PR.9.... It'll become one of 25 S-54A's, ordered and delivered to the Swedish Air Force through '60 and '61.

Attachments

• Airfix English Electric PR.9 Canberra.jpg
    Airfix English Electric PR.9 Canberra.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 173

Users who are viewing this thread

Back