Tamiya 1:48 Nakajima A6M2-N Kit #61016 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It really is a nice set, Jesse. Until this build I was unaware of the primer on Japanese aircraft. I am sorely tempted to add this to my "naked" collection....time will tell

blackadder57_240323_65fe72a4f183b.jpg

​
Anyhoo....modellin'. The wing fuselage join is not the best. I may be able to pull the wings up but not sure if it will produce too much dihedral

IMG_0033.JPG

​
The rear of the wings on the bottom almost fall into the fuselage so some help is needed

IMG_0034.JPG

​
A bit of plastic will be added

IMG_0035.JPG
 
Thanks guys. Just finished spraying the cowling and anti-glare under the clear parts with Tamiya XF69 NATO Black. I found out last week that Mitsubishi had the black with blue tinge on the cowling and Nakajima had semi to gloss black. anyhoo....previously I painted the cowling Tamiya Aluminum and over-coated with hairspray. Film shortly
 
Before shot

IMG_3964.JPG

​
Forgot to mention earlier, another thing I have found out is that the cowlings never had primer, just paint over metal. So be it. Chipping done. Some of what you see is toilet paper residue. I dampened a sheet of T.P. and wrapped it around the part for about three minutes. I think if I had left it on longer I would have had bigger chips but as mentioned before, this was a water craft so not much to cause chipping. Maybe on shore during maintenance when the engine was run up

IMG_3965.JPG


IMG_3967.JPG

I'll let this dry completely, remove the floof and then put on a semi-gloss coat
 
This will be the test subject, "Little Boy"

IMG_0038.JPG

​
On the left is what a lot of the kids are using for the A6M and also recommended. Life is too short so its what I'll be using for Tamiya over primer red. On the right is just a bottle of Vallejo thats close; just for testing purposes

IMG_0040.JPG

​
YIKES....that's a close-up. Cowling done with W&N Satin Varnish on the right. I like it

IMG_0041.JPG
 
The testing begins. Ignore the colour. I was trialling a Hinomaru mix, Tamiya Red and Red Brown. 1:1. It didn't look good in the cup and worse over black. The plan is to wait for this to set and then cover half of each part with hairspray and the other half with the chipping medium. Then I'll paint one piece with Tamiya and the other with Vallejo. Wait for an hour and then let the chipping begin

IMG_3969.JPG
 
This will be the test subject, "Little Boy"

On the left is what a lot of the kids are using for the A6M and also recommended. Life is too short so its what I'll be using for Tamiya over primer red. On the right is just a bottle of Vallejo thats close; just for testing purposes

YIKES....that's a close-up. Cowling done with W&N Satin Varnish on the right. I like it

It's quite Zekey.
 
Okay, we have Vallejo on the left, Tamiya on the right, hairspray on the top and Vallejo chipping medium on the bottom. I wrapped some damp paper towel around both for 3 minutes and started. The hairspray wouldn't budge so I wrapped some more on the tops for two more minutes. As can be seen, Vallejo on Vallejo got some nice chips, Tamiya over Vallejo got some chips but not so much. Vallejo over hairspray went to plastic on the larger chips and Tamiya over hairspray went straight to plastic. I don't have any practice at all with chipping so you shouldn't put anything into this experiment though as I expected, Vallejo over Vallejo worked really well

IMG_0048.JPG
 
Interesting that both hairspray went to plastic, would seem the hairspray affected the tamiya base if im understanding correctly

Agree with the vallejo over vallejo looks best
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back