Tamiya 1/48th P-51D - Bad Angel - Pima Air Museum

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looking great Andy.
The outboard gun was fed by a belt from the rear ammo bay, underneath the belt for the inboard gun, the central gun being fed by the forward belt. The ends of each belt were fed through flexible metal, linked chutes, and the ammo was held in boxes, inside trays in the bays. The central and outboard gun ejected the links through the same slot, which was wider than the others. Empty cases were ejected from individual slots.

Looking great Andy.
The outboard gun was fed by a belt from the rear ammo bay.

I'm sorry Terry but I don't believe this is true. The breaches for the two outboard guns line up with the forward chute. The inboard gun is set back 6 inches so that it can be fed by the rear chute, it is still necessary for the feed belt to bend forward by quite a bit to do this.

Attachments

• P-51D41.jpg
    P-51D41.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 84
  • P-51D42.jpg
    P-51D42.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 91
My references jive with what you say Andy. In fact, it looks like you scanned a page from Squadron's P-51D Walk Around, which I also have. If you look at the page opposite the one you scanned, there's a good shot of the arming instructions that were posted on the inside of the hinged panel, showing that the middle and outer guns were fed from sseparate compartments of the forward box.

Like what you've done by the way. The details look great.

Apologies ! You're right - I think this cold is getting to me, as I typed that reply all wrong, confusing rear with forward, and outboard with inboard !!
I'll use the fact that I was looking at the starboard gun bay as my excuse !

Working on my entry for the trolley/trailer group build. Actually the ammunition trailer for the dio.

Starting off with a couple of Spit wheels, trimmed them down and added new hubs.

Attachments

• P-51D45.jpg
    P-51D45.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 86
  • P-51D46.jpg
    P-51D46.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 85
  • P-51D47.jpg
    P-51D47.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 73
  • P-51D48.jpg
    P-51D48.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 87
Looking great Andy. I've just noticed something - the black wing stripes continue over the hinge line of the flap. Is this on the museum example? Normally, the hinge line profile is bare metal, with two oval inspection ports, and is not normally painted over , except for the rectangular flap position indicator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back