Tamiya 1/48th P-51D - Bad Angel - Pima Air Museum

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Pic 1 - PE instructions for .50 ammo feed chutes. I was asking myself - how do you make those bends in steps 2 4?

Here's what i came up with:

Pic 2 - PE starting point

Pic 3 - first fold, the easy part

Pic 4 - using brass flat bar 1/32 X 1/8 to make the other bends

Pic 5 - using another piece of flat bar to get the bends without colapsing the folded chute.

Attachments

• P-51D36.jpg
    P-51D36.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 99
  • P-51D30.jpg
    P-51D30.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 121
  • P-51D32.jpg
    P-51D32.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 93
  • P-51D33.jpg
    P-51D33.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 135
  • P-51D35.jpg
    P-51D35.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 94
Progress is quite a bit slower right now as I have been dealing with my loss. I'll still be building, just in fits and spurts now though.

Pic 1 - coming together

Pic 2 - Not pleased with Aeroclub guns. seam runs across top of guns and that's what shows the most. Starting on scratchbuilding them.

Attachments

• P-51D37.jpg
    P-51D37.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 178
  • P-51D38.jpg
    P-51D38.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 124
Nice work Andy. Remember that only the receivers of the guns can be seen, so only the seams there need to be scraped off.
I might have three spare Browning .50s if you need them, I'll have a look in the spares box. I also think I've located the decal sheet with the 'No Step' markings - just got to check they're on the sheet, and the right size.
I'll let you know about both by tomorrow (Tuesday) at the latest.

Thanks Terry, I've got the scratchbuilt about 80% done so I won't need the mgs, I'm trying to have the build finished by this Saturday and it will pass muster for the model club without the "No Step" decals. I will need them before I deliver it to my dad though (in about 2 months).

I only see 2 ammo belts where was the 3th located? And was the ammo stored in boxes or loose in the bay?

OOPS forgot.. nice model

The two outboard guns were fed by the top chute. The rounds were held together by links. If you look at the underside of the wing (I'll post pic soon) you will see 3 ejection slots for the brass and 2 ejection spots for the links (why only two for the links ???).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back