Tamiya- Bf 109E-4

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I see. But now I'm not sure about the colour of the cockpit interior for the E-4 Wick's mount. It might have been of the RLM66 paint but not of the RLM02, depending on the time period.

Last edited:
Since you mention it.....I have gone back thru my resources and can't find any definitive answer to the 02 question. I read thru the BoB group build here and on a few other sites. It seems that 02 is correct for this particular a/c in the October 1940 time frame.

Wick was shot down and lost in November 1940, just as RLM 66 was being implemented. If I am mistaken, I can change the armor plating and behind the seat decking color to 66 and close the canopy. There won't be much to see in the cockpit anyway, and my lesson will be learned.

" There has been some question as to exactly when the factory changed over to the RLM66 Schwartzgrau color for cockpits. Most sources say that happened in November, 1940, and others say it happened with the changeover of production to the Bf-109F - which also started in November 1940. "

I got this from a thread at Modellingmadness. I'm happy to be in the ballpark with the 02 given the constant debate everywhere as to what the colors actually looked like. I can't wait to open the can of worms an A6M2 paint scheme will cause.

I'm not arguing your comment; far from it.....I'm glad you brought it up, this is how we learn.
Thanks for taking the time, it's good to get help.

Last edited:
OK. I see. Don't change anything. It can be more "harmful". Looking very good and there is no need to correct anything.

According to my knowledge.. the RLM66 appaered in cokpits on the turn of 1939 and 1940. Initially it was used for cockpits partially later for entire ones. Therefore I think it might have been of the dark colour, also because the cockpit of the Wick's kite seems to be more dark in these few pictutres of the plane than those of RLM02.

Sorry to have been away so long........

I finally got back to my Emil build this weekend and I've got a little progress to show.

Thank you gentlemen!

I have progressed to the nerve wracking part, at least for me; The stippling!! Not the best, but close enough for me.

I think the images of Wick's aircraft are inconclusive as far as the cockpit colour goes. RLM 66 was certainly used in bombers produced by Junkers in the early years of the war and at least by Heinkel pre-war.
It is rare in Messerschmitt's production at this time. It does occurr,Bartels' Bf 109 E-1,shot down in July 1940,clearly has a dark grey cockpit interior but it is a reconditioned airframe as indicated by the F (flugklar) appended to the W.Nr. 6296F. It is possible that the interior was resprayed,post production,as part of that refurbishment.
It is also fitted with the later,heavier framed hood.The frames are in RLM 66,inside and out,standard at this time.Some units may have resprayed the exterior framing in the camouflage colour but noone likes masking canopies,even at 1:1 scale.

There is no hard and fast rule but generally,without good evidence to the contrary,a Bf 109 of this period would have an RLM 02 interior. The factory changeover to RLM 66 interiors didn't happen until the production of the F series had started,leaving the early Fs with RLM 02 interiors too.

Cheers

Steve

Having trouble with the 'Photobucket' images loading slowly, but from what I can see, it looks good. Better if you can load direct to the forum from your files, which also frees forum time/space.

Users who are viewing this thread