DG sure has the "pompous ass" act down to a fine art, and he sure is hard to take sometimes, but in this one I think he's spot on. The warbird world's optics in the public eye leave a lot to be desired. I prefer Scott Purdue over at Flywire.
If you had a million dollar B24 with a load of passengers on airshow day with a sick oil transfer pump and a guy in a pilot uniform showed up with a replacement pump in hand and said he was an A&P and offered to install it for you, would you let him into your toolbox and let him do it without checking his credentials? I was that guy, and Collings was the B24 operator, and nobody asked to see my license. The boss guy gave me the key to the tool chest and a step ladder and said "Pump's in the portside main wheelwell. B nuts to 45 foot pounds, safety wire's in the chest, don't do the final twist 'til I inspect it. Get crackin', clock's a runnin'." At the time I didn't think much of it, but in light of the revelations from Nine Oh Nine's demise, I should have seen a red flag there. I never would have seen anything so casual at the airline shop I worked at.