Tell me something.....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Is there ANY brand in the model building business that brings back so many memories from childhood as Airfix?

Just been visiting the Airfix website, the first time since they were taken over by Hornby. Suddenly flashbacks poppes up, memories that I thought were long gone....where have the time gone to? :shock: :lol:

How many brands still use the same boxart from 20+ years back, the Airfix ones are classics!
Even without the Airfix logo, you can tell their boxart from the others in an instand almost...

This also bring to my mind good ol' Jo-Han, Lindberg, AMT, Matchbox, Heller and Frog....

I feel certain you are talking about plastic scale models. In this area I am
not at all familiar. However, I've been building Guillow's Flying Models for
over 60 years. The Paul K. Guillow's Co. was founded in 1926 as Nu Craft
Toys. Paul Guillows was a WW-1 Naval Aviator who saw a need for a good
flying model airplane. This model airplane company has been around for
awhile.

More info here: Guillow's History

Charles

My first plastic kits I bought when I was a kid were the Matchbox and Revell ones.You guys even cannot imagine how it was hard to find and buy these kits here in Poland in that time.To be honest I have still some of these in boxes.:D

My first plastic kits were Lindburgh, then the combined plastic/balsa in the Speedee Bilt kits..then Top Flite - but nothing evokes the good old days of Berkley and Cleveland.

Most of you Gen X and younger have probably never seen either one..

Nver built an Airfix. For me the model lines were Revelle, Monogram, Lindberg and Aurora. First model I ever built was the ocean liner SS United States.

Second was the B-17....the rest is history.

TO

I was kinda lucky, my father owned his own hobby shop - "The Pit Stop Hobby Shop". The building was just torn down last year. He had it for 10 years and thenwas bought out. He had a Model T pick-up truck with the logo on the side and a full size Ferrari painted on the building. If I can scan some pics that I have I'll post.

I agree with Alex.Some Airfix kits are still nice and better than some kits of other modelmakers.

What about Heller kits.Do you remeber these?

They are still offering.Some of these are really nice.For instance PZL P-23 Karas or Bf109K-4 in 1/72 scale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back