The Allies POWs - Testimonies by IJA Soldiers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I am translating the classical expression of old Japanese as if I were cooking a stone:cry:

I can feel it well that the author was enjoying his rhetorical technique very much.
According to my research, he survived the war and returned to a writer.
Kazuo Takemori - a writer 1910-1979.

Thanks for encouragements, Aaron and GG.
This will be a good experience for me.
Please look forward to the next.

Last edited:
Translation of "POWs in Malaya" will be coming up soon as I am struggling with it.

I have known that the modern Japanese language is much westernised making When, Where, Who, What clear.
Old Japanese, especially literature, was not necessarily clear, so I have to read the lines three times to translate...

Please be patient for a while. Thanks.

yep, i think the result 'll be so great ! We are waiting for U. Thanks a lot

Now, the story continues...

..... "It was better for the Indian soldiers, wasn't it?"
Mizoguchi said watching and celebrating their peaceful figures.

"That's totally right. By the way, you know, they Indians are very simple and honest because they are glad to be a prisoner. It's interesting"
Sergeant Oizumi said looking back to them at a glance.

When they surrendered, none of them did not know how they would be treated by the Japanese because the real intention of Japanese troops was not known yet. However, they thought it would be better for them to leave their fate to the Japanese, trusting their Indian captain's decision, than possibly being killed by the British squadron for supervision when they had abadoned the fight.

They made up their mind by two factors. One was that the whites had deployed the Indians in the front. The other was that the Japanese was tougher than their expectation. They would have noticed a contradiction that Asian fought against another Asian for Anglo-Saxon. No matter how the result would be afterwards, the order of surrender would have been one help for them with no doubt.

No sooner they surrendered than all fear would have gone away because the Japanese soldiers were so friendly. When they knew the Japanese intention which was told through their captain, the joy of their rebirth could have reached the climax.

The Japanese intention - Asians should cooperate each other to liberate themselves from the Caucasian's exploitation, also, the Indians and the Japanese should also tie up together to build up the common prosperity in Asia and the Japanese were ready to support the independence of India far from regarding them as an enemy.

The fate of the Indian POWs turned out to be a cooperator for Asian liberation. They were not only survived but made friends with the Japanese. When they heard the chance of independence through their captain, they would have felt the blood of the race which was sleeping in them for a long time woke up and their patriotism overflew in their heart.

Sergeant Oizumi and Private Mizoguchi entered the gate of a white-yellow long building. There were three soldiers who were preparing breakfast for the white POWs. One of them was moving the cooked rice from a mess-tin to its cap in the kitchen. He found Sergeant Oizumi to salute respectfully and showed smile on his tanned face.

Looking into the mess-tin, Oizumi said
"Hello." and he continued
"It's a late breakfast for you men?"
"No, sir. This is for the British POWs. They seem getting tired of our menu entirely - especially a combination of a bowl of rice and a pickled plum." taking out some pickled plums in delicious red from a pot beside him to show, he answered.

"Well, I'm afraid of it but you don't have enough time to cook what they want, do you? Ha, Ha, it sounds like a joke for us but not for them."

"As they get hungry, they eat rice at least but our miso soup and pickled plum seem very difficult for them. There are few who have begun to eat but most of them don't. They request us sugar frequently. As I'm sorry for them, I bought some packets of refined sugar by my pocket. They now say 'Sankyu (* Thank you)' frequently but, frankly, I am amazed by their impudence."

"I see.... Now, we'll patrol inside." Sergeant Oizumi went out the kitchen with much curiousity.

..... to be continued.

Attachments

• akaumeupkozaraupL.jpg
    akaumeupkozaraupL.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Thanks beaupower32 for enjoying my translation.
I'll accelerate my work.

Thanks Gnomey for reading again.

Since Umeboshi(*pickled plum) contains the citric acid like lemon (plus hi-salt in old days) and does not rot for a long period, it was indispensable for the soldiers. It originally came from China to Japan about 1500 years ago and now is regarded as a health food with low-salt.

I don't like Umeboshi as it is so sour but try to eat some times because it reduces hi blood pressure and remove cholesterol.

Last edited:
Thanks Aaron for your reading and encouragement.
I'll try best for quicker and more precise translation.
Thanks.

Thanks Aaron and vB.

Yes, this story is interesting because it shows the difference of ethnicity remarkably.
You will see Oizumi and Mizoguchi are also totally amazed by the British POWs soon.

Last edited:
Story continues.
Now I understand why I did not know the auithor's name till I read this story.
He was not famous because his sentences were hard to read.

....."I see.... Now, we'll patrol inside." Sergeant Oizumi went out the kitchen with much curiousity.

When they walked along a long wood floor and came near a room where the British POWs were accommodated, another group of Indian POWs who were standing by for labour were seen in the front yard. Some were sitting down on the grass to enjoy chatting and others were practicing their excursion march by themselves spontaneously and happily.

There were also two Japanese soldiers under stand-by to lead them. One of them was surrounded by several Indian soldiers and explaining something to them by his gesture. Grasping both hands tightly, an Indian soldier shouted "Japan, Indian!". Then, the Japanese soldier responded "Let's celebrate victory with wine together when Singapore falls!" Indians around him applauded and one of them expressed his impression exaggeratedly by placing his hand on his chests with big laughter.

The other Japanese soldier was wrestling 'Sumo(*Japanese wrestling)' with an Indian soldier. No sooner had his hands taken the opponent's waist than the first Indian challenger was thrown off in spite of his first terrible force and physical strength. The second and the third challengers were also defeated one after another. Applause and fine laughter arose at each match.

"It's a so nice scene as I want to take a picture for my family and friends in the homeland." Mizoguchi said admiring it.
"Well, it's good even for a movie. I hear that they are saying they want to be a prisoner for the rest of their lives because they can eat delicious meal everyday here. How could one know such an interesting mysterious event as this goes on here if he was not an Imperial soldier?" Sergeant Oizumi said showing his big curiousity in his eyes.

They stood in front of a room of the British POWs before long.
Interior could be seen well as all windows were opened. Four white men were lying at full length on each bed. Noticed Oizumi and Mizoguchi, they turned their heads and gazed at two with decisive eyes. As their uniform color was similar to that of Indian soldiers, one of them who was lying on the end of the row did not look a white. His skin was sunburned well and it made him look as if a colored race.

However, when a youngest soldier who was lying in the middle of the row woke up to see the two, his white skin and blue eyes gave them a strange impression. Then, something pitiful touched Mizoguchi because it was appearing on such his weak childishness which was showing he was still in his boyhood as his expression and slender figure. Another white man on the other end smiled two to salute. He looked sneering himself. Mizoguchi thought he had found out a British way of gesture that tries to change sadness into the humour.

"How old are you?"
Sergeant Oizumi asked the youngest white man.
"Seventeen, sir." he answered.
Mizoguchi did not know why but brightness overflowed in the expression of the young white man suddenly. The boy looked as if he were a girl. His blond hairs were beautiful. He jumped down his bed and tear off an empty box of cigarette in a hurry to write something on it. It was spade. He stood in the other side of the window and asked
"Do you have cards? I want cards. I am bored so much."

"What? Do you want cards?" Sergeant Oizumi responded in English and turned to Mizoguchi to ask
"What do you think of his luxurious request?"
Waving his hand, Mizoguchi with wry look answered in English
"No cards."

Expression of despair ran on the faces of all British POWs. The boy lowered his arms but his eyes were still requesting a favour. Then,
"I am hungry. Please give us meal immediately." the British soldier on the end abruptly said with his exaggerated gesture of entreaty.

"Yes, I will tell your request to the cook."
Sergeant Oizumi answered clearly to end the conversation.

..... to be continued.

Attachments

• Cards.JPG
    Cards.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
For the readers' knowledge, IJA might not have the western 'cards' but they could have been enjoying a Japanese traditional playing cards 'Hanafuda (*Flower cards)'. It's a play of matching pictures.
Image attached.

My parents did not recommend me to play Hanafuda because it was/is regarded as a gamble tool.
I enjoyed it some when I was young, though.

Attachments

• Hanahuda.JPG
    Hanahuda.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back