The Best Assault Rifle.

Which One the

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I dunno - Schermouli vs Verey, could get very ... impassioned!

Would be a dirt magnet, agreed. But c'mon for a plinker?! I needs one!

And if you are a lefty who has always wanted a bullpup then you must be salivating. Only other bullpup that I am aware of that is accomodating for those retards is the FN2000.

Steyr has been designed with low maintenance and reliability in mind. It's an excellent gun but it has one HUGE downside: it's many times more expensive than the M-16 or AK-47/74. Best bang for the buck would be those two.

Personally, I'll go for the FN FAL because it's widely available, reliable and easy to acquire. Honorable mention to the FN F2000.

Kris

The Ak-47 by far, i mean the others are great but nothing compared to the great russian Kalashnikov. They were the highest manufactured assualt rifle in the world purely because they would go to war use the ammo and dump the guns. They were so cheap the only expensive part was the ammunition. Besides being cheap they could go through mud, sand or water and they would still never jam. During ww2 the ak-47 was the best hands down because they were gas powered, rotating bolt action firing 600 rounds per minute while shooting at a muzzle velocity of 710m/s and best of all they were cheap as chips!

I agree; you should never ask an "ammo tech" what the best rifle in World War II was. As he'll tell you a rifle that was issued two years after the war had ended.

The AK-47 hands down I agree. I would have rather have used on in Iraq instead of the M4 that I would have taken if our bird went down.

Howerver here is a bit of history lesson on the AK-47:

It is called AK-47 because it was fielded in 1947 (WW2 1939-1945). AK-47 stands for: Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947 which translates to Kalashnikov's assault rifle, model of the year 1947.

Was designed by Mikhail Kalashnikov and produced by Russian manufacturer Izhevsk Mechanical Works.

The only thing that AK has to do with WW2 is the fact that the guy who designed it based off of the German Sturmgewehr 44. I read an artical about this in the Stars and Stripes with an interview with the designer. He designed the AK after being wounded in battle and decided that the Russian soldiers needed a weapon like the German Sturmgewehr 44.

Again the AK-47 was fielded in 1947 hence the name AK-47

The severe reality is that you usually get engaged in a fire contact much closer than 100 yards, especially in a city. At open spaces and longer distances first word belongs to mortars, cannons and to a lesser degree to heavy machine guns. In close combat high velocity and superb accuracy are just words - no more. It's your speed of reaction and reliability of weapon that counts. From this point of view it's the AK 47 - 7,62 mm is the best personal weapon. Chinese, Bulgarian, Hungarian or 5,45 mm don't count.

That's my choice too. Utter reliability under wartime conditions, mediocre accuracy and relatively lightweight. Perfect design. And to hell with 5.45mm. I'll take the 7.62x39 anyday.

Having said that, it is the best under your stated conditions. Just not my favorite. :toothy5:

This may have been discussed previously but the M14 does not meet the definition of an assault rifle. The 7.62 Nato is not an intermediate powered cartridge and when I qualified with it it had no selective fire feature and I don't believe most of them issued had the selective fire ability. My vote goes to the AK 47.

HAHAHAHAHA You Guys are bloody awesome, every world war two site ive visited ive always left a a comment about the ak-47 in the second world war and i am very, no actually extremely pleased to say your the first site to pick up that the Ak-47 was not used or manufactured untill 1978 long after the second world war.
Congrat's

Sorry guys about the false information above i always get the manufacture dates mixed up between the Ak-47 (1947) and the date the Soviet Union started replacing the ak-47 with the AKM (1978).

Guys, I've heard that the M4 has less "knock down" or range (it was one of the two, maybe both) than the standard full sized M16(whatever variant we're on now). Is this statement true? I could understand the range because there is simply less barrel for the bullet to fly through, but does the "knock down" have to do with a lower velocity or something?

As per a rifle, give me the Italian variant of the Garand they have been using until recently, or an M14 shortened (SOCOM does this, right?). Baring either one of those, I would gladly take a G36. I'll give the M4 the accuracy and ease of use, but give me a 7.62 NATO and NOT a flippin 5.56x45mm NATO round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back