Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Jim Clark

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Damon Hill

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

F1 is not my thing either but do love Motorcycle racing.

But then the best or favourite would be Valentino Rossi so a very quick discussion!

I've sort of followed F1 from the days of Stirling Moss, with lapses of interest here and there. Although I still watch now and then, I have to agree with Adler in parts, that it can, nowadays, be somewhat boring. But that's the fault, I think, of the 'organisation', in paricular, the little fellow. That said, I have no interest whatsoever in football, which I think is over-rated, over-hyped, and a waste of good grass land - as Adler said, each to their own.
But, as far as drivers go, there are so many to choose from, for loads of reasons, so I will offer Graham Hill, great driver, and a real gentleman.

Tazio Giorgio Nuvolari

165 centimeters and 57Kg of nerves.

Born in 1892 he went trough 2 world wars, the second one stole 7 years to his racing career when he was at his top.
He returned to race in 1946, aged 54 and obtained his last victory in 1950.

He started to race at 28 on motorbikes and at 31 on 4 wheels, winning everywhere and with every car or bike.

24 heures du Mans, 1000 Miglia, Vanderbilt Cup, International champioship, you name it.

Some races are legendary, like the Tigullio GP in 1924 when he broke half the car in an accident and won the race kneeling on the floor and driving with a wrench (the steering wheel and seat were broken...)
Or in Monza, bike GP of 1925: Nuvolari had an accident the week before when testing his first Alfa Romeo, was hospitalized and declared 'impossible to leave the bed for one month'.
After 4 days he asked his doctor to prepare a leather armour, the sunday was tied up, lowered on the bike and he won the race.

But the most famous was the 1935 GP of Nuerburgring when he defeated the 'uber' German team of Mercedes and Auto Union - pissing off badly a scorned Adolf...- with his old Alfa Romeo P3.
The Germans were so sure to win the race taht they did not even had ready a record with the hymn nor the Italian flag: Nuvolari supplied his own for the premiation.

Nobody else can be compared with this man.

I almost never look the F1 races, but I know some things about some drivers. Its personal opinion, I go for Gilles Villeneuve.

the f1 history is so rich that is almost impossible we have 1 best driver of all times.

parmiggiano, are you a ferrarista ? do you think massa still have chances to win this year ?

Massa still has a chance IMO. The poll is really best/favourite hence why I voted for Gilles Villeneuve. His duel with Rene Arnioux is the most amazing bit of driving I have ever seen. Enzo Ferrari said that he could do things in a car that nobody else could.

Nouvalari is also an unbelievably ballsy driver!

Well, let's say that Villeneuve (Gilles) is the pilot of the modern era who most reminds 'Nivola' for his courage and his 'different' skills.
That's probably the reason why Enzo Ferrari was in love with Gilles.

About Massa, he had more bad luck than good luck this year, and the Ferrari team is making too many mistakes.
But he is fast and the car is running well, if they don't do stupid things he still can win.
Hamilton is faster as a pilot but not yet mature, if put under pressure he can make mistakes like last year.

.. and of course I am for Ferrari, could it be different?

PS: I would add Rudolph Caracciola and Bernd Rosemeyer to the pool.

Well, let's say that Villeneuve (Gilles) is the pilot of the modern era who most reminds 'Nivola' for his courage and his 'different' skills.
That's probably the reason why Enzo Ferrari was in love with Gilles.

About Massa, he had more bad luck than good luck this year, and the Ferrari team is making too many mistakes.
But he is fast and the car is running well, if they don't do stupid things he still can win.
Hamilton is faster as a pilot but not yet mature, if put under pressure he can make mistakes like last year.

.. and of course I am for Ferrari, could it be different?

PS: I would add Rudolph Caracciola and Bernd Rosemeyer to the pool.

exactly they are similar drivers really Gilles and Nivola, both go 110% and really push the limits. Gilles was very fast but his driving style probably cost him a few wins (not to mention his life RIP)

that is true, but his pushing to hard and was going to fast for his car. He tried to push the car past its limits in qualifying.

I can't believe nobody has voted for Senna!

You don't have to win championships to be great. You have a lot of the safety in F-1 to thank Ronnie Peterson for. Affectionately nicknamed 'Super Swede' by F1 fans for his attacking driving style, along with Stirling Moss and Gilles Villeneuve, he was regarded as one of the greatest drivers never to have won the Formula One World Championship....so, he's not in bad company!

that is true, but his pushing to hard and was going to fast for his car. He tried to push the car past its limits in qualifying.

I can't believe nobody has voted for Senna!

senna was a genius. i think piquet was greater than senna but is very curious nobody voted in ayrton senna.

today, the memory of ayrton senna still very fresh here in brazil. his sister viviane senna created a foundation to help poor childrens to study and have a better life. its a very noble act to create not a statue or a monument but something that help people in memory of a great race driver. its called ayrton senna foundation.

You don't have to win championships to be great. You have a lot of the safety in F-1 to thank Ronnie Peterson for. Affectionately nicknamed 'Super Swede' by F1 fans for his attacking driving style, along with Stirling Moss and Gilles Villeneuve, he was regarded as one of the greatest drivers never to have won the Formula One World Championship....so, he's not in bad company!

i think i luis carlos pace can join to this club !

senna was a genius. i think piquet was greater than senna but is very curious nobody voted in ayrton senna.

today, the memory of ayrton senna still very fresh here in brazil. his sister viviane senna created a foundation to help poor childrens to study and have a better life. its a very noble act to create not a statue or a monument but something that help people in memory of a great race driver. its called ayrton senna foundation.

not just Brazil everyone has fresh memories of Senna, a real tragedy, to a most talented driver. My sister is 22 doesn't care the slightest about cars, F1 or sport in general and even she knows all about Senna haha. He was everything a F1 driver should be.

Gilles Villeneuve
Have to go with the Canadian on this one. No offense to any1 in here but only reason Micheal Schumacher has done so well is because there isnt any competition for them until this year by the looks of it.

Gilles Villeneuve
Have to go with the Canadian on this one. No offense to any1 in here but only reason Micheal Schumacher has done so well is because there isnt any competition for them until this year by the looks of it.

I don't like Schumacher, his attitude or his driving style but he is an amazing driver. Good choice on Gilles, he got my vote to!

Voted "Other", since I couldn't decide between a few drivers on the list....and some that's NOT on the list. I have more respect for the old guard. Sure, todays cars a lot faster, but then, yesterdays "jockies" didn't have ANY of today luxuries and it was a LOT more up to the driver. Heck, with all the computer power in the cars today, you'll soon not need a driver....and, where's the FIGHTS of yesteryear?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back