The Best F1 drivers of all time (1 Viewer)

Best F1 driver of all time

• Nigel Mansell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alain Prost

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Juan Manuel Fangio

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Micheal Schumacher

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Aryton Senna

• Gilles Villeneuve

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Tazio Nuvolari

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Mikka Hakkinen

• Jaques Villeneuve

• Nelson Piquet

• Jackie Stewart

• Jack Brabham

• Sterling Moss

• Niki Lauda

• Eddie Irvine

• Jim Clark

• Damon Hill

• Other

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Excluding Lewis Hamilton from this poll makes it flawed.... :mad:

Nobody, I repeat nobody, else ever had a first season in F1 like his.

Look:

Fangio - 1st season: 2nd in Championship - 27 points

Graham Hill - 1st season: Not placed in Championship - 0 points

Jacky Stewart - 1st season: 3rd in Championship - 33 points

Emerson Fittipaldi - 1st season: 6th in Championship - 12 points

Alain Prost - 1st season: 16th in Championship - 5 points

Nigel Mansell - 1st season: Not placed in Championship - 0 points

Ayrton Senna - 1st season: 9th in Championship - 13 points

Damon Hill - 1st season: Not placed in Championship - 0 points

Michael Schumacher - 1st season: 14th in Championship - 4 points

Mika Häkkinen - 1st season: 16th in Championship - 2 points

Fernando Alonso - 1st season: 23rd in Championship - 0 points

Lewis Hamilton - 1st season: 2nd in Championship - 109 points

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only one that came close was Fangio who finished 3 points behind the champion, to Hamiton's 1...

How can you leave him out?!? why!!??? :shock:

Excluding Lewis Hamilton from this poll makes it flawed.... :mad:

Nobody, I repeat nobody, else ever had a first season in F1 like his.

How can you leave him out?!? why!!??? :shock:

Because almost nobody had the fastest car of the lot in their first season, and nobody ever was preferred by the team vs the 'first drive' like it happened last year with Alonso.

Plus, the guy simply wasted his first place with several idiotical mistakes in the last races, and this does not make him 'great' yet.

Hamilton is the fastest of the lot and will win the title this year (a deserved title) but still need to 'eat some more sandwich' before being listed among the greatest.

Surely he has the potential to become one of the greatest drivers, and probably in a couple of years he will be righteously in the poll.

Besides, I think that several of the names in this list should not be there because in my opinion they are or were 'average good pilots' but not champions.

mansell had carisma, but wasnt a great driver, he won his champ´s because his willians/renault was 100% superior over all other cars. thanx to his "active suspension".

but he was carismatic because was allways a fighter, winning or losing. "the lion"...

Because almost nobody had the fastest car of the lot in their first season, and nobody ever was preferred by the team vs the 'first drive' like it happened last year with Alonso.

Plus, the guy simply wasted his first place with several idiotical mistakes in the last races, and this does not make him 'great' yet.

Hamilton is the fastest of the lot and will win the title this year (a deserved title) but still need to 'eat some more sandwich' before being listed among the greatest.

Surely he has the potential to become one of the greatest drivers, and probably in a couple of years he will be righteously in the poll.

Besides, I think that several of the names in this list should not be there because in my opinion they are or were 'average good pilots' but not champions.

The list comprised of all who came to mind, I'm only young so most of the drivers that I am familiar with. Any of the moderators can feel free to make changes.

I agree exactly what you said about Hamilton, should'nt be considered in the list atm but give him 5 years,

Personally it was a choice between Jackie Stewart and Jack Brabham. Both did well at a time when cars were close and the racing was very risky.
Jack Brabham was the only person to be a World Champion on both two wheels and four which is no mean achievement.
Jackie is still used by a number of the F1 teams to mentor/train their F1 drivers and there are stories about the times he can still post in a modern car.

In the end I went for Jackie Stewart.

Hard to pick one because of to many factors....Today, your only as good as the CAR. 50 years ago it was probably the same. My fav was always Prost, he was a clean driver and used his head as much as his foot. Just like "Awesome" Bill Elliott in NA$CAM

Actually Glider Brabham is the only guy to win an F1 world championship in a car he built himself.

He never raced motorcycles. I know who you mean though but can't bring him to mind.

He was certainly a brilliant driver! Very very sad event! His concerns fell on death ears and sadly the loss of his life was needed to spark action!

As much as i disliked Senna, That man could flat out drive. I believe there has never been before, or since, a driver who could drive the wet like him...he was a real Monster. nothing against Schumacher, but he came along at the right time , alot of money behind him. I think Senna would eat him alive head to head. Still a big Prost fan.....Fast,Clean and Smart. Too early to talk about Lewis.....Lets see in 5 years.

Some real F1 Cars..... You had to actually drive.

Attachments

• 68-elford-f1.jpg
    68-elford-f1.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 68-stewart-f1.jpg
    68-stewart-f1.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 116
  • 68-beltoise-f1.jpg
    68-beltoise-f1.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 119
  • 68-surtees-f1.jpg
    68-surtees-f1.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 1965.jpg
    1965.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 152
Loved those days of F1, no trac control, ecus, etc. The driver actually had to drive.

My favourite driver was Keke Rosberg. A real racer with astonishing car control. Watching him in a non-turbo Williams at Spa chasing the turbos was amazing. But I wouldn't claim he was the greatest.
I've voted for Der Schumacher, though some would say 'Cobblers' (LOL)

Where the heck is Ukyo Katayama in this Poll??? He could be a Champion but choosed to entertain us with nice Crashes....
That Man would be my Choise!

Right, this thread is right up my street!

For me, it can only be between two men: Fangio and Senna. Picking between them is impossible because of the difference in eras, but I plumped for Fangio because he was dominating the sport despite being past his peak on tracks that killed you if you even looked at them and in cars that caught fire if you'd had a cigarette anytime in the past week...

Voting with the heart would see me plump for Gilles Villeneuve - simply incredible. If you haven't read his biography by Gerald Donaldson, I suggest you do so - some of the stories are unbelievable. I also believe he's the only person who would probably have been able to keep up with Senna in the wet, no thanks to masses of experience in snowmobile racing.

In terms of brilliant tacticians you can't do much better than Prost and Lauda, and to a lesser extent Piquet.

M. Schumacher is horribly overrated - you can't deny the figures, but look at the competition - Damon Hill? Jacques Villeneuve? Two of the least highly regarded WDC's in the sports history. Hakkinen was quicker than Schuey and would have won the title in 2000 if it wasn't for such bad reliability. Montoya was also a lot better but his temperament (and his car) often let him down. Add the fact that Ferrari had most of the best brains in the sport working for them, and that his teammates were never allowed to challenge him into the equation and it all looks a little bit hollow - and that's before you even mention all the controversies.

Lewis Hamilton? He had the best car on the grid for the first 2 years of his career so it's no wonder he was right up at the front. He should have had the title both years but his inexperience and exuberence cost him in '07 and he only just scraped it last year...Indeed in the first part of this year he was struggling against Heikki, but now that he's gone through a slightly difficult period he's a much better driver. But the best ever? Oh please, he doesn't even come close, especially after only 3 seasons!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back