The Best mucisian in The Beatles?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

For me this one would be like a parent choosing a favorite child-just not possible. Harrison played such a broad array of instruments...McCartney's pure bass technique...They were all great!

I'd go with Lenin. Didn't like the guy as a person but he was very driven and very talented. Most of the Beatles songs were he and McCartney. Nothing against Harrison, wrote some great stuff. But not on the same level.

Lenin also understood the business end of things, to an extent. Better than most musicians.

I'd go with Lenin. Didn't like the guy as a person but he was very driven and very talented. Most of the Beatles songs were he and McCartney. Nothing against Harrison, wrote some great stuff. But not on the same level.

Lenin also understood the business end of things, to an extent. Better than most musicians.

Lenin and McCarthy? :lol:

Back In The USSR?

Lemon and Bacardi??? ;)

Seriously speaking, though, I'm pretty much torn between Macca and George.
George Harrison was a wonderful guitar player, very skilled and talented, but Paul McCartney did play a lot of instruments, and yes - he did write a lot of wonderful songs, too.
So did Harrison - While My Guitar Gently Weeps - acoustic version, anyone? - but not to the same degree and extent as McCartney, even though I've always liked John Lennon better.
But as evangilder writes, they performed well together, and yes, I also think that they brought out the best in each other in terms of making music.
My vote goes to Paul McCartney.

Last edited:
I really love the Beatles and their music. In fact I was brought up on them literally and had little clue about newer music up until a few years ago.

I don't like the whole 'whose the best'. They were the Beatles a group that worked exceedingly well together due to the creativity within the group. Harrison is a great musician more so for the fact he moved onto the Sitar and became a student of it. He showed great interest in music that pushed him forward. Ringo was a great drummer and a handy song writer.
Paul and John are well discussed and to be honest I can't seperate them. Yes they wrote mostly together but you can't have one without the other.
Wings were very successful post Beatles but so was Lennon and he was working solo for the most part with input from Harrison.

In short the Beatles are a result of their surroundings and inspirations and can work only as a unit. I will say I enjoy Lennon's music more so than McCarteny's post Beatles just due to its rawness and honesty. Technically McCartney was a great musician and writer but Lennon just had something for me.

Beatles were the Beatles, Lennon had a better mentality for a solo musician and McCartney could work with anyone.

I've heard from lots of people Ringo, with the Beatles, wasn't an exceptionally good drummer. I heard his skills were just able to meet the Beatle's needs. Not just able but, he suited the Beatles. Who was the first drummer before Ringo?

That's a myth. Ringo in fact in the recording sessions only stuffed up about 4 times. Lennon and McCartney made far more errors when recording.

Pete Best however was a rubbish drummer, hence why he was replaced by Brian Epstien.

pete-best2.jpg

How come noone's mentioned the producer,George Martin. They would not have amounted to much without his input,even the seminal album Sgt.Pepper's owes a lot to him. He was also arguably the most accomplished musician. It is no accident that he is often refered to as the fifth Beatle.

George Martin as a producer kept their direction and I agree he is a great musician too. However at the end of the day the creativity came down to the fab 4.

I will give a good example of Martins work in regards to 'In My Life' the piano solo is played my Martin. It does sound like a Harpsicord however they shifted its timing and sped it up giving it the higher pitch. It has a wonderfully classical Bach feel to it, one of my favourite moments in the Beatles catalogue.

IMHO Harrison was the best guitarist, but McCartney was the best musician, a true all-rounder.

Ringo is underrated as a drummer, and wasn't helped by Lennon's famous comment about him: "Best drummer in the world? He's not even the best drummer in the Beatles!"

But if there was ever a band that was the sum of its parts... and it is impossible to exaggerate George Martin's contribution.

I'm a huge Beatles fan, but sometimes I can go without listening to their music for as much as a year... only to be blown away all over again when I come back to it.

John Lennon was a legendary figure to me.

Some of his songs are the only ones to drop my jaw kinda thing.

But he is more icon than musician.

But I dont like his song how do you sleep...not musically but the anger in it is childish.

And Starr and Harrison actually played on it as well...

Last edited:
I like Paul the best, he seemed a much more even all rounder. Great vocals, and a competent musician on many instruments. A great all rounder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back