The Best mucisian in The Beatles?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-17engineer

Colonel
Dec 9, 2007
Revis Island.
In Atlantic City I saw a Beatles tribute band called 'Yesterday' and it made me think....

Who was the best musician out of the Beatles?

Ringo Starr: Drummer-Singer.

Opinion: I think Ringo was not the greatest with skill but he definitely fit The Beatles needs at the time. His vocals were so great but I mean they're not horrible. Listen to Yellow Submarine and Octopus Garden. I like them both but I just don't think he's the best.

John Lennon
: Rhythm Guitar-Lead Vocals

Opinion: Definitely a great musician. His skills on piano were great and his guitar was OK. He had a very nice voice. I love all the songs he sang but, there are two more very good mucisians...

Paul McCartney: Bass Guitar-Lead Vocals

Opinion: GREAT Vocals. One of my favorites from the Beatles besides Johns. His guitar skills aren't great, like Ringo his guitar met the Beatles needs. Definitely a great musician.

George Harrison: Lead Guitar-Vocals.

Opinion: I think he is PROBABLY the best mucisian out of all of them. His guitar skills WERE phenomenal. His vocals weren't the best but, he could sing VERY well and play guitar VERY well.

Overall best IMHO: George Harrison.

What are your guys thoughts?

There is a quote from George Harrison saying he would have been a better guitarist if he hadn't been in The Beatles. The point he was making I think being that ultimately he ended up being a foil to John and Paul.

Incidentally George Harrison was a big fan of Britain's most popular band ever in the USA. Even The Beatles have to be second to them. :D

I think straight up musician wise, Id pick Harrison as well. He might not have played as many instruments as Paul did, but IMO he played them better and/or were more difficult to play such as the Sarod.

I'd pick Paul as next, but I don't think I'd ever heard John play any instrument beyond the guitar.

John Lennon did play Piano when in the Beatles and after they broke up. He played Imagine and stuff.

My pick had to be McCartney although my favorite was John. Paul had so many abilities with many instruments and he mastered them all. His voice was just about perfect especially when matched with John's. The basic setup was that John played rythm and George played the guitar leads while all 3 harmonized on vocals.

John played numerous instruments as well, like the piano, sitar and at times in the early days showed Ringo which drum beat to play. He was accomplished as well. But Paul still takes it. A few years ago he completed an symphony that I don't think the others in the band could achieve. Except maybe George. Paul acutally played guitar before switching to bass when George came along.

Listen to some of his bass structures and you'll see its not 3 chord, AC/DC type pounding. He at times plays the bass like a 3rd guitar.

Get "Sgt. Peppers" and really listen to the songs. How the vocals are used like in "With A Little Help from My Friends" to genius of "A Day in the Life", the lyrics and harmonizing on "Shes leaving Home", the amazing sitar work on "Within You, Without You" and the absolute fun of "Getting Better all the Time".

Truly a great album and you can hear and feel the transition from their early work to the more modern style of music we enjoy today. To me, they were the innovators of all we hear now. Somewhere among their albums, they did things first. Maybe even rap! :)

Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends,
Mmm, gonna try with a little help from my friends
Ooh, I get high with a little help from my friends
Yes I get by with a little help from my friends,
with a little help from my friends

I love that song....

I hate rap......:lol:

Hehe would be true but it'd have to be changed to "I still am mad at my school'

Heck I joined a facebook group that says our school sucks..... it has nearly 120 kids....I'm not the only one !

True..... oh guess what the school play is??!?!? ? Charlie in the Choclate factory......the same music teacher wants me to try out....the one who threw me out....well she can kiss my......

Wow we got off topic...lol.

My pick had to be McCartney although my favorite was John. Paul had so many abilities with many instruments and he mastered them all. His voice was just about perfect especially when matched with John's. The basic setup was that John played rythm and George played the guitar leads while all 3 harmonized on vocals.

John played numerous instruments as well, like the piano, sitar and at times in the early days showed Ringo which drum beat to play. He was accomplished as well. But Paul still takes it. A few years ago he completed an symphony that I don't think the others in the band could achieve. Except maybe George. Paul acutally played guitar before switching to bass when George came along.

Listen to some of his bass structures and you'll see its not 3 chord, AC/DC type pounding. He at times plays the bass like a 3rd guitar.

Agree - let's not forget his writing ability. John came up with the lyrics, but Paul made the music.

As a group, they all performed well together. Having played music for years, I can honestly say that in the right group of musicians, they can actually cause each other to rise a notch for many reasons. I know there were bands that I worked with that were just okay, but many of the musicians were exceptional. And I have worked with folks that were all "okay" musicians that clicked when the started playing together and everyone seemed to rise in skills slightly. I have to say it is quite remarkable and it is really cool when it happens.

As the sum of the whole, they were all good, but individually, Paul is the clear choice. He had much better staying power and capabilities than the others. That's not saying the others weren't good, just that Paul was the best.

Get "Sgt. Peppers" and really listen to the songs. How the vocals are used like in "With A Little Help from My Friends" to genius of "A Day in the Life", the lyrics and harmonizing on "Shes leaving Home", the amazing sitar work on "Within You, Without You" and the absolute fun of "Getting Better all the Time".

Truly a great album and you can hear and feel the transition from their early work to the more modern style of music we enjoy today. To me, they were the innovators of all we hear now. Somewhere among their albums, they did things first. Maybe even rap! :)

Excellent post, N. But you forgot Fixing a hole!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back