The best thing about the Spitfire Mk XIV was that there were so few of them

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Back in the 40's and 50's, washing machines (while convenient) were noisy contraptions that rattled and chugged.

"Washing Machine Charlie" usually arrived in a Po-2 (it's predassesor, the U-2, was used by the "Night Witches" to harass German troops) and the Polikarpov's engine sounded like a washing machine.

The nickname was not flattering.

Back in the 40's and 50's, washing machines (while convenient) were noisy contraptions that rattled and chugged.

"Washing Machine Charlie" usually arrived in a Po-2 (it's predassesor, the U-2, was used by the "Night Witches" to harass German troops) and the Polikarpov's engine sounded like a washing machine.

The nickname was not flattering.
in the 1920s and 30s

7586a8cfc2a1531666bb83c2b6be38f8.jpg

You could easily have a washing machine without having electricity in the house.

If mom was doing laundry after midnight it was a good bet she was not happy with dad ;)

I recall many of these things still in use when I was a kid (in the 60's) and some were downright terrifying.
Just about all were outside, like in a breezeway, back porch or in a garage.

I recall many of these things still in use when I was a kid (in the 60's) and some were downright terrifying.
Just about all were outside, like in a breezeway, back porch or in a garage.
Well, carbon monoxide poisoning while doing laundry is a real double whammy.

And going to all the work of cleaning the clothes so they could smell like tractor exhaust seems self defeating.

Remember the foot treadle sewing machines? My grandparents had one. When we were very young we would use our tiny hands to pump the treadle and spin it up as fast as we could. Getting our fingers painfully smashed was almost a rite of passage.

I don't think anyone needed to make the Spitfire look better than it already or really was. Have you seen one ?
There is nothing pretty about the Spitfire, in fact all those curvy lines look so silly. Whenever I see a Spitfire I am reminded of the batmobile. P51 and P38 are just as bad, however nothing looks as crappy as Lavochkins, Tempest and Typhoon.

Objectively speaking, the nicest looking AC on the Allied side is the F4F. Most German and Japanese AC look pretty nice, especially A6M and KI 84, but they all pale in comparision to the FW190. Kurt Tank's design is the equivalent of the BMW M30 M3 and Mercedes 190 Evo.

FW190 - schlicht, einfach, perfekt
Welch ein schönes Flugzeug👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

There is nothing pretty about the Spitfire, in fact all those curvy lines look so silly. Whenever I see a Spitfire I am reminded of the batmobile. P51 and P38 are just as bad, however nothing looks as crappy as Lavochkins, Tempest and Typhoon.

Objectively speaking, the nicest looking AC on the Allied side is the F4F. Most German and Japanese AC look pretty nice, especially A6M and KI 84, but they all pale in comparision to the FW190. Kurt Tank's design is the equivalent of the BMW M30 M3 and Mercedes 190 Evo.

There's a specsavers ad in there somewhere.....

Let's just say your aesthetic sense is out of touch with most of the flying world. Doesn't make you wrong. It makes you a member of a very small group.

The MS 406 is a good contender too.

Shame on you!
There is nothing wrong with Buffy and Wildkitty, both are so small and cuddly. How can you not like them?

One of my favourites too.
I like how they all look like animals.

ME 263 - Penguin
Henschel HS 129 - Duck
JU 252 - Anteater

So cute and adorable.👍👍👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back