The "first" Kamikazi....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thorlifter

Captain
Jun 10, 2004
Knoxville, TN
I thought this was interesting.....

The Japanese newspaper firm Asahi Shimbun was given permission to purchase the second prototype of the aircraft named "Kamikaze", which first took flight on 19 Mar 1937; the civilian version of the Ki-15 was designated Karigane. On 6 Apr 1937, "Kamikaze" took off from Tachikawa Airfield in Tokyo, Japan at 1412 hours with Masaaki Iinuma as pilot and Kenji Tsukagoshi as the navigator; it was flying for London for the coronation of King George VI of the United Kingdom. After stops in Taipei, Hanoi, Vientiane, Calcutta, Karachi, Basra, Baghdad, Athens, Rome, and Paris, it arrived in London at 1530 hours on 9 Apr. The actual flight time of 51 hours, 17 minutes, and 23 seconds was a world record, while "Kamikaze" also became the first Japanese-built aircraft to fly over Europe. Both Iinuma and Tsukagoshi were awarded the Légion d'honneur award by the French government for the achievement. On 12 Apr, "Kamikaze" carried Prince Chichibu (Yasuhito) and Princess Chichibu (Setsuko Matsudaira), who were visiting England for the coronation, on a joyride. On 12 May 1937, the actual date of the coronation, "Kamikaze" was used to film the ceremony from the air. On 14 May, "Kamikaze" returned to Japan, arriving in Osaka on 20 May and then the Haneda Airport in Tokyo on 21 May. "Kamikaze" ran into bad weather in southern Taiwan and had to be ditched; the wreck was later recovered and put on display in Ikoma in Nara Prefecture, but it was destroyed during Allied bombing in WW2. Owing to the success of "Kamikaze", the Karigane design became popular. A small number of Karigane aircraft operated in the civilian sector, many of them as fast mail delivery aircraft.

Source: WW2 data base at ww2db.com

A good post.

I do not necessarily think that I ought to explain what Kamikaze was as here are many who are much detailed in history whichever it may be on west or east...but let me try it once.

The word "Kamikaze" is now famous for the suicide attackers during WW2 but its original meaning is simply "Devine Wind" as a storm or typhoon that saves the nation of Japan.

In 1274 and 1281, an old Chinese nation "Yuen (meaning 'origin')" led by Mongolians tried to invade Japan with their big fleets twice but were destroyed by a couple of seasonal strong storms to withdraw.

Since then, the winds that saved the country had been called "Kamikaze".
Thanks, Thorlifter. Your post has reminded me of above historical matter.

Attached image
1. Ki-15
2. Kamikaze of Asahi Shinbun
3. Recovered Kamikaze in Taiwan
4. Replica

Attachments

• 1_Ki-15-2.jpg
    1_Ki-15-2.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 140
  • 2_Kamikaze.jpg
    2_Kamikaze.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 209
  • 3_recovered_kamikaze.jpg
    3_recovered_kamikaze.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 140
  • 4_replica.jpg
    4_replica.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 135
Hi, Wayne.
As you may know well, there was "Asakaze" too as a spare plane for Kamikaze.
Asakaze means Morning Wind but I guess it was connected and given to the company name "Asahi" which means Morning Sun or Rising Sun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back