The Fw 190A-9 of Siegfried Baer, 5.Staffel, II./JG301, in Detail....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Museum or something Matt? Couldn't you set up some wall mounted shelving thats reasonably high on the way so its out of the way?

Im losing space for my models at the moment. Something has to go cds, books or dvds. :lol:

Museum or something Matt? Couldn't you set up some wall mounted shelving thats reasonably high on the way so its out of the way?

Im losing space for my models at the moment. Something has to go cds, books or dvds. :lol:

Haha, I need to set something up myself, as I have completely out of space. I have a bunch of Star Wars Lego that I REALLY don't want to dismantle, but I think it'll have to go! :(

Nope. Not gonna happen. The WAF is much too low.

I'm thinking Colt AR-15. 5.56x45. 300yds. Trijicon 4x scope. I think I can even buy exploding putty. With my poor eyesight, that should at least be a half day of entertainment.

That would be great fun Matt, but also a great shame; and waste of good work! Also, decent ammo should be reserved for use on moving targets, like scallies running off with your T.V. set or car!! (only kidding...ish!)
Why not try building a cabinet or something similar in your garage/basement/workshop? Or see if your local hobby shop would like them, for display purposes? The latter is fairly common in the U.K., and I'm sure it helps the shop sell more kits, especially to youngsters/beginners, who gain inspiration from seeing the finished item. You never know, if they sell 'x' amount of a particular kit that is the same as one of your 'display' models, you might get the occassional 'freebie'!

Ok you thread deviators...back on track!

Erich, new question....the exhaust area...was this painted Black? to which extent if so the Red lined area or the Yellow?....or are we talking just exhaust staining.....maybe?
Your avatar image shows equivalent to the yellow outline....205998 shows the Red outlined area.

Given that the production started in Oct. (Kagero Listing),delivered in Early November and the aircraft was lost...today the 26th:( :salute: it should in reality exhibit minimal exhaust and gun staining...would you agree?
It can't have had much useage let alone actual combat...right?

Attachments

• Exhaust Area_2665a.JPG
    Exhaust Area_2665a.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 99
yes today is the day, was going to say go by the avatar image as two of the pilots pictured were lost/wounded in the same action. I'd go with the minimum on this, probably flown two times before cracking up. Don't think it was painted black just had the regular staining from exhaust....

Wayne

another pic reversed of the blue numbered unit of 4./JG 301

HTH E ~ pic courtesy of P. Rodeike the exhaust might be just painted ........your call

Attachments

• Luft Pic one.jpg
    Luft Pic one.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 101
A nice pic Erich.:D There is also a possibility that the paint at the area could be also changed by temperature.But it is my idea only.

could be W. the 190A-9 in the pic is a new acquirement for I./JG 301

here is the pic in question - avatar of mine

it's a wonder any of these "kids" made it through the war. Note - as you can see the outboard 2cm cannon ports are plugged.

Attachments

• luft pic two.jpg
    luft pic two.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 99
In the pic the area really looks like painted with black.The longer I'm looking at the previous pic the much more I'm convinced the area was painted with black colour indeed.

And you are right it's a wonder, they look so young just like my possible grandfather.

You've mentioned that before, Erich, but I don't recall you reason why. To lighten the aircraft for better performance at altitude? Better roll rate? Can you refresh my memory for me?

Matt

yes you are right on all accounts, I./JG 301 was split into two staffels for heavy bomber interception and two staffels to engage P-51's and most of the cases these higher flying staffels had the outboard 2cm removed for more agility, lighter load and quicker performance, and it still was not enough. II./JG 301 also did the same thing until they received the Dora 9 then all 3 staffels operated in the high cover role. 8th staffel never had the Dora 9 in it's line-up, but had A-8 and A-9's.

If it will help at all, I've studied Erich's Avatar picture closely, and applied some of my (slightly rusty) photo-interpretation skills from both my military and photographic trade days. Allowing for the fact that I'm looking at an 'electronic' image of a B&W reproduction, the tonal values suggest that the area in question is painted. In support of this, I would offer that, just visible in Erich's picture, are what appear to be lighter streaks, presumably caused by the hot exhaust gases, which correspond approximatelty to the positions of the individual exhaust pipes, or at least to some of them. This 'streaking' is also visible, albeit very feintly, in the picture of '7' from the starboard rear quarter. In comparing these tonal values with the paintwork of the camouflage colours, I would hazard a guess that the streaking is a greyish, or greyish brown colour, whilst the 'painted' area is a very dark colour, probably very dark grey, almost black. This would fall into line with certain types of heat resisting protective coatings, designed not so much as a 'cover' for staining, but to protect the metal beneath from heat and the corrosive effects of the exhaust gas. If you look at the known dark areas, such as the prop blades, which I am assuming were schwarzgrun, you will see the difference. the latter colour, although very close to black in normal viewing, registers as a slightly lighter tone on photographic film which, again, can be seen when looking at the spiral on the spinner. If I had to make the choice, I would say that the semi - recessed panel behind the exhaust outlet in the cowling, as shown in Waynes picture, is painted in a very dark grey coloured surface coating. Of course, I could be wrong, but I don't think I am!
And yes, those boys really do look so young!
Terry.

yes today is the day, was going to say go by the avatar image as two of the pilots pictured were lost/wounded in the same action. I'd go with the minimum on this, probably flown two times before cracking up. Don't think it was painted black just had the regular staining from exhaust....

Erich - if the crew chief 'run up' procedure pre-flight was similar to his US counterpart, he would would be checking the mags and possibly both rich and lean mixtures.

As for actual ops, even two-three hours could put some carbon out there?

As today is the day I did send Tiger Lyons a 'reminder' of the 109 he shot away from Haviland's tail.

Condolences for your family on this day.

thanks guys for some clarification, the exhaust area looks almost too clean for my tastes, possibly wiped off for the photo..........does not seem likely.

thanks Bill for your thoughts, appreciated. bit of a strange day as I work on this title, close my eyes and wonder what happened in the air and the slaughter that took place of JG 301 and the B-24's lost of the 445th/491st bg's

too many young lives perished or were forever wounded scars taken to the grave.

I personally feel that Wayne's efforts are a tribute to my cousin but also those he faced trying mightily to crush an evil empire.

Siegfried lies quietly in Holtensen while another Kamerad lies at Wünstorf to the west

Imagine if you will making it somehow to your home AF and then being told that eve some 40 of your pilot-friends are out of killed, wounded and or missing and that you and what is left of the Geschwader will be up again on the 27th to stem the tide of the Allied might

Attachments

• Kreuz1.JPG
    Kreuz1.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 94
  • HeadstoneGabler.jpg
    HeadstoneGabler.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 96
Thanks for the input Guys, I will go with the full 'blackened' area, and minimal staining....will get some done today during my work lunch break, hopefully and post tonight....off to work now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back