"The German"- War movie

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Saw this several years ago and I'm with Terry. Rivet counters will also note that the radiators on the 109 "E" are wrong and look more like those on the later F and G's. I guess I'm one now too.

I can see a He111, or Ju88 making a navigation mistake and ending up over Ireland, but did a Bf109 of that era even have the range to get there from France at all, let alone after using full power for several minutes ?

Which is why I thought it improbable.
But then it's just a story, for entertainment, and it worked well - that is, until those pr*cks featured in the "History according to.." thread see the short movie, and the whole thing becomes fact !!

Cherbourg to Waterford, about the shortest distance between continental Europe and the Republic, would be about 300 miles.

Calais to London and back is about 200 miles.

Set off with about 90 gallons at an economical cruise rate of consumption around 50-60 gallons an hour (having made deductions for warm up, take off and climb) and you might just make Ireland. Factor in a bit of uneconomical flying, like combat, and you are going for a swim.

Cheers

Steve

I have seen it before. Nice 3D entertainment. I didn´t like the fact of two pilots perfectly unharmed after a tremendous high speed, half wing crash landing.
By the way, the english pilot has 4 1/2 kills. He fight so hard because he´s trying to become an ace.

Edit: I like more the freaky Paths of hate.

Last edited:
Capture.JPG

And one got married...

marriage.jpg

Not forgetting that the RAF had bases and aircraft in Northern Ireland, which is of course part of the UK. The Irish Republic allowed aircraft based in Northern Ireland, notably on Lough Erne, to overfly the Republic on their way out to the Atlantic. This so called Donegal Corridor may have been short, but it did contravene Irish neutrality and was understandably kept quiet at the time.
Cheers
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back