The Great Green Fleet

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

oldcrowcv63

Tech Sergeant
Jan 12, 2012
Northeast North Carolina
It is actions and announcements like this, made to fulfill a liberal government's wrong-headed enviromental agenda that drive me nuts! Having an environmental preservation and protection agenda is wonderful like apple pie and motherhood but only a nut-bag eco-zealot would make the idiotic, uninformed statement as the one I quote below. It's buried in the news but it should be front page of the NYT. Goodluck on that happening. The issue is:

The Navy, by government decree to develop a "green military" (AKA "The Great Green Fleet") has been told to buy bio fuel for its aircraft at $26/gallon while JP-5 costs a mere $4/gallon (JP-5 being the less volatile version of Jet fuel preferred aboard aircraft carrying ships and those vessels powered by gas turbine (jet) engines). And you wonder why the economic recovery is slow? To defend this crazy policy, on CNN I heard the following quote by a spokesperson for the Pew Charitable Trust (?????) What the hell is a PCT person doing defending the Obama administration's Pentagon eco-policy???

Military's plan for a "green" future has Congress seeing red – CNN Security Clearance - CNN.com Blogs

"It's really about investment today for pay off tomorrow," said clean energy advocate Phyllis Cuttino of Pew Charitable Trusts. "How much did the first pair of night vision goggles cost us? A lot more probably than they cost now."

First, we aren't talking about a bit of costly developmental hardware that will ultimately be inventoried, stockpiled, used and reused as the military needs; after it goes into production as an assembly line item at diminished cost (and with the potential for dozens of related but non-military (commercial) applications for manufactured goods.

We are talking about an expendable resource that once used cannot be recovered and reused.

Second, when first developed, there were initially no alternative NVG hardware available to procure at a lower cost. The ones in development that allowed the US Military to "Own the night" were an essentially new development. There were no other low cost alternatives that were equally effective.

If you wonder why US manufacturing base is immigrating over seas, it's not all or always about the greed of fat-cat industrialists.
It makes me want to have a bumper sticker that states: " So called 'educated' liberals can be just as idiotic as supposedly 'uneducated' conservatives"

I am sure more topical research on my part might mitigate my low opinion but when such spokesperson's are granted air time by the media, why bother?

I wonder how the green sensitive europeans view this? To the USA media, The rest of the world is portrayed as eco-enlightened while by contrast, the USA perpetually exists in a benighted stated of eco-ignorance.

For myself, I find existence to be a state of perpetual aggravation lately.

Last edited:
understood, probably should have said "can be" instead of "are" since personally I don't endorse either end of the political spectrum or their favorite axes to grind. In fact I am going to edit the original post to say just that.

Last edited:
Tell me, how is anythhing military going to be "eco-friendly" or environmentally sensative?

It seems to me that anything a government comes up with, is about the stupidest idea in the known solar system...and that reads "any government"...not just ours :/

And just for the record, My "political" affiliation is the "torch and pitchfork" party...

disclaimer:
At no point in this post was there any political views expressed.
No electrons were harmed during the posting of this comment.
This post is certified to meet or exceed federal EPA air quality requirements.

:evil4:

Nothing like disgruntled peasants assembled on the front lawn of the local (insert "name" here), waving thier torches and pitchforks, to convince (named person/entity) that they should consider relocating (quickly) and perhaps trying a new occupation...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back